[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why didn't medieval generals order all of their men to put
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2
File: 1430981679717.png (11 KB, 411x387) Image search: [Google]
1430981679717.png
11 KB, 411x387
Why didn't medieval generals order all of their men to put poop on their blades and arrows? The infection rate would be so much higher.
>>
>>1163167
They didn't know about germ theory or basic hygiene for that matter.
>>
Well for one thing they had no concept of germs.
>>
>>1163179
Not OP but don't you think in the millenia-long history of warfare, someone somewhere must've thought "hey, let's put shit on our arrowheads and see what happens"?
>>
>>1163189
I presume the risk of infecting yourself or other friendlies was higher than the benefits, whatever they were. It's not like punji traps where you just set them up and fuck off.

People did use dead bodies to provoke infections in besieged castles and such, though.
>>
>>1163167

No one had organized shitting technology except for India, but they were too disorganized to put it to proper use.
>>
>>1163167
What's the point of getting a defeated enemy infected? They're still Christians and ransomable and they probably speak the same language.

Second reason is that folks cleaned wounds and treated them with anti-septics.

Third reason is that shit doesn't really stick to a weapon nor does it stay on low after repeated blows.

Gentleman's warfare m8
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.