[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Atrocities
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2
Can we have a discussion on atrocities, because even though Hitler killed about 7 million people, but Stalin reportedly killed 10 million and when compared to the famines caused by the British empire is about 15-20 million and Mao's great leap caused the deaths 3,000,000? I'm just confused how these capitalist countries get away with it but communist and fascist dont.
>>
It's interesting that commies managed to kill more people during peacetime than Hitler did during a fucking war.
>>
>>1162271
Because you (almost certainly) live in a capitalist country, so those atrocities are either ignored or blamed on something beside the economic system in place.
>>
>>1162298

Pretty obvious desu.
>>
>>1162295
But the British empire killed 10 million just like Stalin during peace time as well and Leopold the 2 killed 8 million during peace time
>>
>>1162295
That's the opposite of Impressive, unless you're supposing to include the casualties for the war in Hitlers death toll, which is considerably more than 7 million. It's a lot easier to actively kill your own populace when you aren't otherwise occupied.
>>
>>1162310
I said interesting, not impressive.
>>
>>1162295

If you include deaths from war Hitler's score is considerably higher than 7 million.
>>
>>1162314
well, it's not that either.
>>
>>1162271
Catholic church is over 68,000,000 innocents murdered, but nobody seems to care.
>>
>>1162271
I know this board frowns upon non-conservative authors but if you check out.
Edward Said's Orietntalism
Joseph Massad's Islam in Liberalism
Noam Chomsky's Manufacturing Consent
And the first two chapters of Timothy Mitchell's Rule of Experts

you can find a fairly detailed treatment of these kinds of questions. You can always choose to overlook the narratives that blame the West for everything but their genealogical approach to the history of certain concepts and how atrocities are defined really helps you try to create a framework to answer this yourselves.

Their answers would be something along the lines of, "The atrocities created by the Capitalist world were done in the name of liberalism with enlightenment guiding them. This allows them to make their own atrocities look necessary/not bad because they are guiding the third world towards enlightenment whereas fascists and communists were doing this purely for power and to subjugate their people and the other. " They would all agree that atrocities on both sides are equally bad though.
>>
>>1162271
>how these capitalist countries get away with it but communist and fascist dont.

Who says the commies don't get away with it? Only the Nazi's were prosecuted for thier crimes.

Also, the former colonies remember the atrocities. It's just us fat fucks in the west who don't care.
>>
>>1162351
what makes people so ignorant to the fact that this happened, it just makes me really made when u hear the occasional "hitler killed so in so and stalin killed however many" when the real mass murderers are cause by the leaders of capitalist countries. And does this prove marxs theory correct that the upper class has been putting down the lower class by a means of literally spewing false or glorified information
>>
I fucking hate big numbers, like history talks so loosely about millions of deaths. You will barely meet a couple of thousand people in your lifetime and we are talking about millions, all dead for some power hungry cunt that only gives a shit about his power.
>>
British Empire didn't cause famines, they were due to droughts, potato disease and Japs stopping shipping and invading Burma. They warned them about Malthusian catastrophes but no one listens.
>>
>>1162356
>Edward Said's Orietntalism
>Joseph Massad's Islam in Liberalism
>And the first two chapters of Timothy Mitchell's Rule of Experts

MFW coworkers get namedropped on 4chan
>>
>>1162271

>communists don't get away with it

You're kidding, right? There is no red scare while there sure as shit is brown scare.
>>
t wasn't just the fact that Hitler murdered people that was so bad, but that the Nazis would do things to people that were so cruel that they wished they were dead, and that the Nazis would not allow Holocaust victims to kill themselves because they wanted them to die as a result of the most cruel acts imaginable.
>>
>>1162271
Firstly, even as one of the groups you're supposedly defending (I defend Stalin quite a bit), both of your numbers for them are off considerably.

Firstly, Hitler was pretty much responsible for all the atrocities the Germans committed in the war, and the war itself was largely for the purpose of exterminating the peoples of the Soviet Union, so I think that would up his to about 30 million or so.

With Stalin, the exact number depends on whether you count the Holodomor, which is contentious in terms of moral responsibility. With it, you get about 20 million (hence that infamous number), without it, you get about 13 million.

Plus, the British Empire was around for a lot longer than either of the others, so of course it would rack up a lot of deaths.

I'm not an expert on Mao, but the Great Leap Forward killed way more than that and was basically full-retard economics in the first place.
>>
>>1162586
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Bengal_famine_of_1770

>It was caused due to the widespread forced cultivation of opium (forced upon local farmers by the British East India Company as part of its strategy to export it to China) in place of local food crops, resulting in a shortage of grain for local people in Bengal.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.