[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Questions for Vets/Millitary family
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: IMG_0141.jpg (39 KB, 625x289) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0141.jpg
39 KB, 625x289
I am doing a research paper on Psychology. I would prefer you answer them all, but you don't have to answer a question if you don't want to.

There are 25

What years did you serve in the Armed Services

Were you drafted or did you volunteer?

Where were you living before you were inducted into service?

How old were you at the time of your induction?

Where did you go for your basic training?

What was your duty assignment and MOS code (Military Occupational Specialty)?

What was the highest rank you reached? (Give rank and grade)

What was the best, most rewarding experience when deployed?

What was the most stressful obstacle to overcome?

Did the music of the time have any effect on you while serving?

What was the most memorable sound you remember?

What was the most memorable smell you remember?

Did you lose anyone close to you during the war?

What were your thoughts on the sitting president during the time you were deployed?

What did you think of the sitting secretary of defense?

If you are/were a faithful person, did your faith suffer/waver?

Did you form any habits that you still have?

What was the worst moment of your entire deployment?

What was the best moment of your entire deployment?

Did you talk, or keep contact with anyone back home, if so who?

Are you ashamed of your service?

Were you treated badly when you came back home?

Did your opinion of war change after having served?

Did you take anything back as a souvenir, for yourself or family?

If you had the gift of hindsight knowing what you know now. Assuming you had the ability to choose, would you still go to war?

Thank you all
>>
>>1158661
1989-1993
There ain't no draft, son. (There was one?)
?
MCRD San Diego
3381 (Cook)
E3
Desert Shield/Storm
?
Yes, it sucked. Half the troops blasted Country and the other half blasted Rap.
Bombs detonating in ammo dumps.
Smoke.
Nope.
Glad he got me back home quick.
Loose cannon.
Faith intensified.
Nope.
Nope.
Burning the shit out of my hand in a field mess.
Riding into Kuwait City
Girlfriend, now wife. Brother-in-law, now not.
No.
No. We had parades and shit.
Nope.
Yup. Bayonet, Republican Guard cover, officer emblems, sand (obligatory).
Yup.
>>
>>1158731
Thanks anon! Big help!
>>
>>1158661
I think you'd have a better time posting this in /k/.
>>
>>1158822
I did
>>
>>1158661

2010-Present

Nobody has been drafted since the '70s.

Indiana.

RTC Great Lakes, Illinois

Navy doesn't use the MOS, I am an HM-8404.

E-5, Hospital Corpsman 2nd Class.

Mostly related to medicine, I felt very rewarded every time a wounded man's life was saved and he got to return home safely.

Also medicine related, mostly dealing with wounded. I was once responsible for stabilizing a patient who had taken three gunshot wounds and lost one arm, I'd say that was the most stressful experience.

Yes, I came to appreciate music of all kinds while I was in the military.

During my deployment, I memorized the words to Eazy-E's Boyz in the Hood, and I can still recite them today.

The smell of burning rubber or oil, mostly because I still smell it back home. It reminds me of my time on deployment.

Nobody particularly close to me, no.

I don't mind President Obama.

I serve under three, Gates, Panetta, Hagel, Carter. I thought so little of them I actually had to look up their names again.

I am not a faithful person.

Yes, I started smoking and drinking.

Likely the most stressful one, it was a very messy scene and I wasn't mentally prepared for it. Luckily, I was not responsible for that soldier's death.

As a hospital corpsman, we would sometimes be responsible for handing out medicine to citizens, such as ibuprofen and shit. I suppose I'd say that was the "best" experience, because the energy of the village felt very gratifying.

No, I did not.

No, I am not.

No, I was not treated badly when I returned home. I am still serving.

Yes, it has. I am now very much against the War on Terror, and I generally have a negative view on war period.

No.

Yes.
>>
>>1158846
I should say that as an HM-8404 I was assigned to a unit of Marines and was responsible for their health and well-being.
>>
>>1158846
You give me hope for this generation. Thank you.
>>
>>1158863
We do love our corpsmen.
>>
>>1158846
Thanks for for your duty anon
>>
2012-2014. Med discharge

Volunteered

At my parents house, in Maine

Fort Leonard Wood, MO for 20 weeks of OSUT

31B, Military Police

E3, PVT First class

Giving kids candy on patrols, it was nice watching their faces light up even if they were beggarly little shits

My injury

Not really, but I enjoyed listening to gangster/drill rap while riding in the humvees and MRAPs

That noise an RPG makes when it flies close by

Gunpowder or blood, it's a toss up

No, no one from my unit was killed. Lost a few ANA guys and some of us were injured but no one I was close with died. Watched a few ANA guys bite it though

Obama's alright, better than the other options at the time

Didn't really give them any thought. I was a kid and didn't really look into the politics of anything when I was in.

I'm not religious, if that's what you mean

I don't feel comfortable sitting down anywhere without my back to a wall

Beat a guy to death. I still dream about it and have some severe self-image issues because of it

Going home early, as weird as that sounds

Wasn't really allowed because of what I was doing, they had us on lock a lot of the times due to OPSEC and stuff. Which is retarded because I was just an MP, not some special forces badass

Some parts, yes. The nature of the beast I suppose, especially if you see combat. You do terrible things

No, but I wasn't treated exceptionally well either. It was just life continuing on, and I was free to either deal with it and integrate or freak out and be a social outcast

Yes. I've lost my taste for violence as well, I would much rather walk away or talk my way out of something instead of swinging my fists nowadays

some shards of metal they pulled from my knee

I would still go. I kind of saved a guy's life and where I'm at right now in life, I'm very happy.
>>
2012-2016

Volunteer of course.

Florida

MCRD Parris Island

0811, Field Artillery Cannoneer, and this last year I've been working as a Combat Marksmanship Coach instead, which is great because it's infinitely more chill, I don't go to the field, I like teaching and I love shooting.

Corporal, E-4

"Deployed" twice but to MEUs, basically 6 month vacations in East Asia.

Being treated like shit while being a boot.

I was forced to hear normie crap due to people playing it around me yes. I'm an indie rock/kpop guy so I passionately hate country music.

155mm howitzers firing.

The smell of CLP from cleaning weapons.

A Staff Sergeant who I can't say I knew but I had seen around was killed by ISIS in Iraq just like a month ago.

Obama is trying to be a good dude but he's too soft about everything. Personally I don't like the direction the country has taken during his time.

Meh. They've made the military weaker in my opinion by being so anti-hazing and pro-women in combat jobs for no clear benefit.

I actually went from being an edgy Buddhist to a chill Catholic (which I was born into originally).

Yes, I'm far more clean, disciplined, and orderly.

Losing rank and being confined to quarters because I was a weeb, I'm fluent in Japanese so I was always off base in Japan hanging out with Jap chicks and no "libo buddy", which was illegal.

Training with the ROKMC lads in Korea.

Just my family really.

Not at all, they should bring back the draft desu.

Nope, people are nice to me.

Yes, I'm actually more in favor of killing commies and ISIS now.

Pretty much an entire ROKMC gear issue plus uniforms which I traded with Korean lads for.

I honestly wish I had had the chance.
>>
File: 1445916121414.png (153 KB, 333x254) Image search: [Google]
1445916121414.png
153 KB, 333x254
>>1159327
>kpop fan shittalking anyone elses music tastes
>>
>>1159332
lol. Oh I forgot to mention, I hated rap before but I did learn to appreciate some of it.
>>
>>1159343
desu I like pretty much all genres, I find hating an entire genre pretty weird, since there's usually at least one diamond amongts all the shit.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.