[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Was the revolt of Spartacus a major thing or it has become famous
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
File: spratacus.jpg (84 KB, 558x627) Image search: [Google]
spratacus.jpg
84 KB, 558x627
Was the revolt of Spartacus a major thing or it has become famous for its "muh slave rebellion" meme worth?
>>
The name is dope as fuck.
Spartacus. It can't be forgotten. It's impossible.
>>
It was the Hannibal of slave revolts. But it has largely been romantized by later societies for their own gain (like communists).
>>
>>1156590
Yes, the disorder caused by the rebellion was used by Crassus and Pompeii in their initial bids for power, allowing them both to bring their legions into Italy and use them to acquire consulships (Pompeii was too young to be a consul legally, but when you have 4 legions outside of Rome you can get that ignored). Beyond that, it was one of the causes of the Caesarian slave and land reforms. These fundamentally changed the structure of Roman life and the Roman economy
>>
>>1156590
>>1156662
Oh, it also lead to reforms of slavery, whereby murder and mistreatment became illegal and slaves were allowed to appeal to a tribune over it.
>>
>>1156590
I wonder how film makers come up with these utterly ridiculous arms and armour.
>>
>>1156590
TOUCH ME SPRATACUS
>>
>>1156858
well, he was fighting for show, so its not a stretch to say that his armur was made for show aswell
>>
>>1157192
He's dressed like He-Man. Not like a historical person. And what's up with that sword? Is that supposed to be some oversized gladius? It's certainly not a Spatha, and the hilt is way too long for that time period.
>>
>>1157244
No its the right size, hes not using a roman sword but a sica. Used by gladiators and came from the Halstatt culture.
>>
Spartavus a shit

CRIXUS!

CRIXUS !

CRIXUS!
>>
>>1156590
le white people were slaves too maymay
>>
>>1157244
>He's dressed like He-Man
Gladiator's armour was not an armour at all, it's retarded by design.

It was all for showmanship on arena and for "balance" because they had diverse classes with their own advantages, trade-offs and strategically opened places.
>>
>>1158691
The hilt is still way too long and I'd be surprised if they had actually dug up something that resembled this.

>>1160155
The armour he's wearing does not even remotely resemble anything historical.
>>
>>1158691
That is the wrong hilt for a sica.
>>
File: IMG_7190-web (2).jpg (222 KB, 576x864) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7190-web (2).jpg
222 KB, 576x864
>>1160171
>>1160240
Gotta say it looks pretty similar to the sica hilt found on Trajan's Column
>>
>>1160272
Not really. Take a look at the pommel and guard. Not to mention the length and geometry of the blade.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.