[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So tell me /his/, why did Austria-Hungary perform so shit in ww1?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1
File: Austro_Hungary_1000.jpg (284 KB, 940x731) Image search: [Google]
Austro_Hungary_1000.jpg
284 KB, 940x731
So tell me /his/,
why did Austria-Hungary perform so shit in ww1?
>>
They fucked up their mobilization.
>>
Shit railroads, shit organisation, bad officer core, multinational, very hard to relay orders in so many languages, outdated tactics, marching troops up mountains in winter, attacking Serb fortified positions, underestimating a chance of Serbian counterattack as they went to capture Belgrade, Slavic soldiers defecting.
General Oscar Potjorek got a letter from high command that literally said "lmao, kill urself". Just as the high command was sending heaps of soldiers to die from Russians.
Oscar also rambled something about the Serbs fascination with plums in his memoirs
>>
>>1155433
That is actually an issue that whole books have been written about.

Read Holger Herwig's excellent First World War book on the Austro-German war effort.
>>
>>1155433
Austrians and Hungarians rivaled a lot if I remember correctly. But that's just part of the list
>>
>>1155456
how so?
>>
>>1155433
Because they put fucking bogniggers in charge of the war
>>
>>1155500
From what i remember their railroad tracks werent unified at all. They were seperated by ethnicies because they all hated each other and didnt want to use the same trains. This lead to mobilisation and moving goods harder because they had to jump trains over and over and move the goods with horses too.
>>
It did?

They had to fight on 3-4 fronts.
>>
>>1155433
>why did Austria-Hungary perform so shit in ww1?
they didn't. They performed as any country fighting on 3-4 fronts in a World War would. In fact, taken into consideration that they weren't a traditional military power they performed quite admirably. It was more that Germany's performance was exceptional in every respect. The entente had to expend about five times the amount of resources to kill a German than the Germans did to kill a Frenchman, Englishman, or American. Maybe more if I'm recalling the statistic incorrectly. A-H tends to just be a whipping boy for military failure memes and nationalist delusion. Yes, after a certain point they were without question beaten and needed German handholding to even think of continuing, but this is just as much Germany's fault for preventing them from negotiating with the allies as it is theirs for being a losing party in a scenario where 90% of other countries in the world would fail if put in the same situation.
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.