[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Plato appreciation thread. Aristotelianfags GTFO. Let's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3
File: Plato.jpg (87 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
Plato.jpg
87 KB, 1200x1200
Plato appreciation thread. Aristotelianfags GTFO.

Let's discuss Forms and Ideas without any pure empiricist faggots denying the existence of abstract principles.
>>
>>1148834
It's your fault we have christianity
>>
There's a saying in philosophy that you're either an instinctive Platonist or an instinctive Aristotelian. I'm the former. Reading the Socratic dialogues in college was amazing, and then when I read the Republic it felt right and true in a way no book ever had before.

I think that's why I'm more of an Augustinian Catholic than a Thomistic one. I of course love Aquinas, but Augustine and his deep Platonism resonate with me more. I fucking love Plato.

So, lads, have you ordered your souls justly? Does your Reason have control of your Appetite and your Spirit? Is Reason the chariot-driver, are Appetite and Spirit the horses?
>>
>>1148857
It's Christianity that has saved your ass from being plowed by Muslims.
>>
File: CGJung.jpg (3 MB, 2604x3909) Image search: [Google]
CGJung.jpg
3 MB, 2604x3909
>>1148834
Jungian Platoism is the best

>Forms=ancient concepts in the collective subconscious, common to all humans

>Myths and dreams=ways of expressing the forms
>>
>>1148875
The dialogue Phaedo converted me to philosophy. I still read it from time to time. Socrate's arguments for the immortality of the soul seems kind of fishy now, but the magic is still there...
>>
>>1148965
no christianity and there'd be no Islam
>>
>>1149015
If I recall there were two arguments.

One was based on epistemology where all learning=remembering, completely nonsense since we know information is transferred genetically. This does support a Jungian interpretation of forms.

The other thing involved a neat theory on how life is made. Which, like the other proof doesn't work with life being the result of evolution.
>>
>>1149340
>completely nonsense since we know information is transferred genetically.
what
>>
File: kot2.jpg (205 KB, 1124x1024) Image search: [Google]
kot2.jpg
205 KB, 1124x1024
>>1148834
>he thinks forms exist separate and independent of entities that share in said forms.
>>
>>1149690
Plato has Socrates suggest to us that when we see a particular (say a mother) the reason we are all able to know what it is, is because our soul is remembering the Form.

The human brain evolves and the subconscious, common to all, has certain patterns. We know about mother because our brains evolved to incorporate some concept of family.

So the Jungian approach is that the Form of Mother is some subconscious thing.

For animals that would have no real family bonding they would not evolve a concept of mother in their subconscious.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.