[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hispaniola
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: haiti dominican border.jpg (315 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
haiti dominican border.jpg
315 KB, 1024x768
Haiti:

GDP per capita US$1,849
HDI 0.483 (163 in world)
Mostly Catholic

Dominican Republic:

GDP per capita US$6,663
HDI 0.715 (101 in world)
Mostly Catholic

They live on the same island but Haiti can not seem to get its shit together. So what I am wondering is was there something about Spanish colonial rule that somehow set Dominicans up with good institutions vs what the French did? Is the answer that slavery is to blame? Slaves were about 15-20% of DRs population, Haitians were 90% enslaved. Did this breed a culture of oppression and exploitation that bled its way into government?

Pic is the border between the two. Haiti chops down all their trees for some reason
>>
It's indeed slavery. Slaves governing themselves is like children governing themselves, doesn't even matter if they're nigs or whites.
>>
>>1132983
Well consideringthe Haitians conquered and ruled the Dominican side for a while, nah, not really.

Haitians just had more incompetent rulers.
>>
>>1132983
Haitians are niggers, dominicans are only half niggers.
>>
>>1132991
Pretty much this
>>
>>1132983
Dominican Republic is mostly mulatto.

Haiti is overwhelmingly pure African.
>>
>>1132991
>>1133020
why does that matter? because Dominicans don't have a class divide based on race?
>>
haiti killed all their whites. rest is history.
>>
>>1132983
My mom was born in Dominican Republic (I'm American though).

Only thing I know is that Trujillo was kinda a dick and killed a bunch of Haitians.
>>
>>1133054
Because blacks are dumber than non-blacks.
>>
>>1133054
The fuck are you talking about? It's an extremely colorist nation and people for the most part.

T. I live amongst them
>>1132983
Hispaniola isn't equally cut in half, most river run to DR. It has the highest mountains in the Caribbean that causes a rainshadow. Cibao Valley has some of the world's most fertile soils and as a result of the rivers rich alluvial bottomlands developed in contrast to the often limestone derived thin soils.

A historic 7x as large population and now a little over 1/5th higher population in infertile Haiti with a mostly agrarian workforce results in a vastly power people.

Beyond this the high debt Haiti had to pay France and things like the earthquake only made this worse.

Trujillo was very antihaitian even though he was part Haitian himself, his entire reign was one to be extremely different than Haiti. He brought migrants like his predecessors from Europe and the government supported vast estates to sell crops internationally while Haiti was mostly small subsistence farmers.

It's a lot of things, racial capacity not being one of them especially when one considers the elite of Haiti are as white as the elite of D.R.
>>
>>1133056
That's not true. they only killed French.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.