[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
When did Popes start taking a new name upon their ascendancy?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (139 KB, 1520x1013) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
139 KB, 1520x1013
When did Popes start taking a new name upon their ascendancy? Who was the first Pope to take a Papal name and how long was it until they all stated doing that?

>INB4 some Protestant shithead whines about his Babylonian /x/-tier shitposting
Go fuck yourself, this has nothing to do with Catholic theology just a tradition among its chief clergy. You will never convince anyone of your side with your historically-innacurate shitposting and garbage exegesis.

>inb4 Constantine
Nor is this about Papal Supremacy or some other doctrinal contention point. Remember the current Patriarch of Constantinople was born Dimitrios Arhondonis so you guys have your own little tradition of this too. And if it intersects with ours, I'd love to hear it. If not, I'd still like to hear it.
>>
>>1131194
Go read the prophecy of the popes about the Malachy prophecies and come back when you're a little older and a little wiser, shithead.
>>
File: image.jpg (64 KB, 301x487) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
64 KB, 301x487
>>1131205
>Go read the prophecy of the popes about the Malachy prophecies
That debunked crap formulated long after Malachy died by a 1500's bishop trying to make his bid for the papacy be predestined by God?

Kek.
>>
bumping for interest
>>
I looked at the list on wikipedia. It was John II, who was named Mercurio and didn't want to bear the name of a Roman god as a pope.
Reigned between 533 and 535.
John III (561-574), or Catelinus was the second.
But it only became common at the end of the 10th century, after the fourth or fifth case.
>>
>>1132034

Interesting.
So there's no religious motivation behind that at all? Could a pope keep his name?
>>
File: spongebob.gif (345 KB, 328x184) Image search: [Google]
spongebob.gif
345 KB, 328x184
>implying the catholic church was anything but a hijacking of the christian belief system by Rome as a way of uniting the empire and maintaining their power over the populace
>>
>>1133600
>So there's no religious motivation behind that at all?
I suppose it could hearken back to St. Peter the first pope. His name was changed, but there's no mandate for a bishop to change his name upon ascension to the papacy
>Could a pope keep his name?
Yes
>>
>>1131194

Don't they usually keep their old names as well?

I mean, Benedict was Ratzinger and we call him Ratzinger despite the popename.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.