[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why aren't there a lot (actually none) of named female Philosophers
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 3
File: athens-classical-philosophers.jpg (218 KB, 627x299) Image search: [Google]
athens-classical-philosophers.jpg
218 KB, 627x299
Why aren't there a lot (actually none) of named female Philosophers in my textbooks? Are they that bad at wisdom?
>>
Because they were viciously repressed in every civilization up to the late 1800s.
>>
>>1124763
Lol when will this meme end? Women have never had it worse, they are more depressed and have a higher rate of suicide than ever
>>
>>1124728
Because men write the textbooks.
>>
You can find them in some of the more extreme philosophical groups such as the Cynics (Hipparchia of Maroneia), the Desert Mothers and the Sufis (e.g.Rabia Basri)

There are some more mainstream female philosophers, such as Hypatia of Alexandria, but she's generally more famous for her death than her work.
>>
>>1124768
How is that repression?
>>
File: aynrand.jpg (61 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
aynrand.jpg
61 KB, 1280x720
>>1124728
The greatest philosopher ever was a woman
>>
>>1124980
Oh boy, here we go.
>>
>>1124980
That's not a picture of Saint Simon
>>
>>1124797
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.