[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How would people (peasantry and nobility) in Medival England
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (61 KB, 594x336) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
61 KB, 594x336
How would people (peasantry and nobility) in Medival England react to someone saying "oh Christ" or "God damned" in their presence? What would the social repercussions be for using God's name in vain amidst a crowd or in casual conversation?
>>
>>1124375
This is taken to mean not swearing with the name of the Lord, but using the name of the Lord where it is not to be used, i.e. outside the temple.
>>
>>1124939
And here I think it is meant the sacred name and not just some attribute like 'Lord'
>>
File: 1375043006460.png (373 KB, 704x528) Image search: [Google]
1375043006460.png
373 KB, 704x528
>>1124939
Tfw I never knew this.

Tfw during my fanatic Christian phase, I took the Lord's name in vain all the time.

Tfw now I know why I feel like shit inside when I do it, even in casual conversation today, like when a friend tells me about good news out of a bad situation and I say "Praise God" or "Praise the Lord."

Tfw I am inadvertently doing it right now.

Tfw can't stop.

CAN'T STOP.
>>
>>1124965
Ah wait, crisis averted.

Thank you Edgar Cayce Official Facebook Page!
>>
>>1124375

The English were considered the most zealous nation in Europe, so I suppose they wouldn't take it lightly.
>>
>>1124939
But the Temple has nothing to do with it. Think of all the invoking the name of God guys like Elijah and Elisha so when they wander all over the place.

It's about swearing in God's name and then being forsworn, not location.
>>
>>1124939
I also thought it meant not to use the lord's name in vanity, i.e. saying things like "god wouldn't approve of this" or "god will punish you". "The Lord will smite you" etc.
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.