[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are there any theories how humanity came to the concept of slavery?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: slaves.jpg (90 KB, 800x533) Image search: [Google]
slaves.jpg
90 KB, 800x533
Are there any theories how humanity came to the concept of slavery?
>>
It's the same principle as domestication of animals, except applied to human beings. It's not something deep and profound.
>>
>>1115249
>I am ugg.
>I captured the tribe of Zugg. Killed a few of them inna fight and bitched the rest.
>Man what do I do with the rest.
>Meh, Put em to work.

Alternatively, in ancient tribal systems, there's debt-slavery. Basically if you failed to repay a debt, you worked for the guy you owed shit to.
>>
>>1115268
>in ancient tribal systems, there's debt-slavery. Basically if you failed to repay a debt, you worked for the guy you owed shit to.
Sounds reasonable, desu.
>>
>>1115268
I imagine slavery predates debt-slavery.Sex slavery was surely around before barter was complex enough for debts.
>>
We have a huge propensity for sorting things into us and them groupings. The 'them' often gets the short end of the stick.
>>
working sucks so it's really nice to have people work for you instead
>>
Actually, it's pure natural selection. Even in animal societies, you have a hierarchy. The best members of a society are placed higher in the hierarchy, while the weakest are placed lower (i.e. slaves).
>>
>>1115249

them: please dont kill me.. ill wash your socks and suck your dick.

us: hmm.. ok.
>>
>>1115249
Yeah, here.
https://archive.org/details/outlinesofhisto00cond
>>
>uga bugga kill rival tribemen
>now we take womyn and children
>wut do with them
>???
>PROFIT
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.