[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Thoughts on Diogenes?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4
File: image.jpg (348 KB, 800x1233) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
348 KB, 800x1233
Thoughts on Diogenes?
>>
>>1112697
Some edgelord worshipped by /his/ memesters
>>
>>1112697
encouraged public urination, probably didn't even poo in loo
>western curry niggeraboo
>>
I disagree with his ideals, but respect him for living by them.
>>
>>1112697
funny but philosophically unimportant
>>
>>1112734
Not really. His works influenced Zeno, who would found Stoicism, which was a considerable influence on early Christianity.
>>
File: Diogola.jpg (475 KB, 1800x1322) Image search: [Google]
Diogola.jpg
475 KB, 1800x1322
One of my favorite philosophers to meme about
>>
>>1112740
oh yeah, in some historical sense he's not insignificant, i mean that when we look back on his ideas he was just a funny homeless guy. he really doesn't have much of import to say.
>>
The epitome of how a human being should live. A righteous man purely rooted in the stark human existence. May his atoms power the nuclear fusions of future stars.
>>
>>1112759
I don't think that's a fair assessment. His works didn't survive, so we don't really know. I'd say going by the fact his works formed the basis of a highly influential philosophical school, that they likely weren't without merit.
>>
File: 1461142247778.jpg (69 KB, 588x749) Image search: [Google]
1461142247778.jpg
69 KB, 588x749
>>1112760
>look at all these unfulfilled plebs dancing like marionettes to the music of a virtueless drama called society
*eats obnoxiously during play*
*pisses on police station*
*yells something about honest men to people in the supermarket*
>they'll never understand what it means to know living like me
>>
>>1112794
yeah. IF people lived like him the world would be a better place in a lot of ways, but they can't. He had a strong case of Asperger's and thought he could scream everyone into not caring about stupid shit.
>>
>>1112760
This is beautiful anon. It elevated me like prayer. Maybe it's because i'm high but I believe that i never read something that has no religious aspects, but elevates me to a mystic stay. I'm Catholic, but now i undertsand that you can have a materialistic rapture. Thanks for the experience anon.
>>
File: image.jpg (643 KB, 1800x1322) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
643 KB, 1800x1322
>>1112697
>>
He was the first shitposter
>>
>>1112834
>the world would be a better place with loud, obnoxious and unhygienic homeless people
>>
>>1113183
>stand out of my sunlight
THE ABSOLUTE MADMAN
>>
>>1113205
basically this

Diogenes was great because he was a skeptic, and he was trolling Greek society for having its head up its own ass.

He's not an edgelord because edgelords are serious. He's a shitposter.

Personally I like him just because he was, essentially, a philosopher Oscar the Grouch.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.