[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
My uncle told me that in 1979, when he was 17, he applied to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
File: rebel scum.jpg (146 KB, 853x600) Image search: [Google]
rebel scum.jpg
146 KB, 853x600
My uncle told me that in 1979, when he was 17, he applied to join the British army and after the medical he was told if he signed he would be sent to Northern Ireland so he told them to fuck off. I called his bluff and said that anybody in the British army from the ages of 16 to 18 could not be sent to a war zone however he argues that it was different in 1979 and that you could be sent to fight if you were 17. I have looked to try find evidence to back up my point but I can't find anything relating to that year. Help /his/
>>
>implying the Anglos give a fuck about rules

OI LAD YOU'RE GOING OFF TO NORTHERN IRELAND LADDIE OL BOI
>>
There seems to be no good reason to outright contradict his version of events, even if you're right and you have no way of knowing.
>>
>>1111466
Kek

>>1111470
My girlfriends dad signed up when he was 16 in 1971 and was told he couldn't fight in Northern Ireland because he was under 18 that's how I knew and I know that the current policy is that you cannot go to a war zone under the age of 18
>>
Why did he want to join the army if he didn't want to fight?
>>
>>1114611
Welfare bucks?
>>
>>1114611
To protect Britian

Not the Gibsmedat Shithole known as N Ireland
>>
>>1111457

http://cain.ulst.ac.uk/issues/violence/cts/smyth1.htm

>Since British soldiers could serve in Northern Ireland in the early 1970s from the age of 16, some of the deaths under 18 shown with home addresses in Great Britain deaths are British soldiers. The age for serving in Northern Ireland was subsequently raised to 18, yet still, a substantial number of the 353 people killed in England, Scotland and Wales under the age of 25 were members of the British Army.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1971_Scottish_soldiers%27_killings#cite_ref-16

>The British Army raised the minimum age for serving in Northern Ireland to 18 in response to the death of 17-year-old John McCaig.

(direct source: http://cain.ulst.ac.uk/othelem/people/accounts/lindsay.htm )

>By the time of my second tour, in late 1970 and early 1971, conditions for British soldiers in Northern Ireland had deteriorated. We stayed at the Flax Mill in the Ardoyne, North Belfast. Conditions were rough there, but not as bad as they had been for the regiment that had been there before us. The changed circumstances were brought tragically home to us in March 1971. Three members of my platoon, Dougald McCaughey, Joseph McCaig and John McCaig were found shot dead in Ligoniel. It is believed that the three off duty soldiers had been invited to a 'party' by some girls that they had met. Joseph and John McCaig were brothers and John was only seventeen; a fact that caused the army to raise the minimum age for service in Northern Ireland to eighteen. I was working in reconnaissance at the time and I know the names of those responsible for the killings.
>>
>>1111466
Anglos are second only to Germans in their love for rules and law.
>>
>>1111498

>Grandather's word is not a credible source
>Girldfriend's dad's word is a credible source

Learn your allegiance boy

oh and up the RA
>>
>>1114628
>northern ireland isn't britain
Well shit, why haven't you guys gave it back yet?
>>
>>1114718
The killing of the three young soldiers in Ligoniel was the entire reason they stopped posting cadets in a conflict zone
>>
File: smug (7).jpg (56 KB, 406x476) Image search: [Google]
smug (7).jpg
56 KB, 406x476
>>1114725
then why does NI exist?
>>
>>1111457
If he applied when he was 17, then he would have only finished phase 1, Catterick (Infantry training school) and pre-deployment after he turned 18. It's a fairly lengthy process
>>
>>1114718
Thanks anon. The coward won't know what he signed up for.

>>1114726

>Uncle who is notorious for lying but people still believe him
> Girlfriend's dad who has proof and documentation that he was in the army

>>1115742
How long would training and deployment have been in 1971? He said he was told he would be placed in light infantry. Judging by where he lives I'm guessing he meant the King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry.
>>
Regardless of what side you're on, Northern Irish Unionists are the biggest bunch of fucking babies on the planet and are comparable to tumblrinas in how easily they are triggered
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.