[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Did Christianity get its eschatology for Zorastrianism?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3
File: d0b.jpg (18 KB, 462x579) Image search: [Google]
d0b.jpg
18 KB, 462x579
No.

The Zoroastrian eschatology so similar to Christianity's, first appears in the Bundahishn, written hundreds of years after the advent of Christianity.
>>
Perhaps Zoroastrianism and the Abrahamic faiths are so similar because Zoroaster and Abraham were the same person. It's possible his teachings became corrupted by the cultures he preached to.
>>
>>1109272
Abraham didn't preach Christian eschatology, and neither did Zoroastrianism until hundreds of years after the advent of Christianity..
>>
>>1109289

I never mentioned Christian eschatology. I was referring to what became Judaism.
>>
[citation desperately needed]

Oh wait, it's Constantine, never mind
>>
>>1109304
How is Zorastrianism at all similar to that?

>>1109312
Show me an earlier description of the Zoroastrian eschatology similar to Christianity. I can't prove a negative.
>>
>>1109317

You do realize that Christian eschatology isn't even the first eschatology in Abrahamic religion, right? That would be the Book of Daniel.
>>
>>1109325

Anyway, here you go:

http://www.iranicaonline.org/articles/eschatology-i
>>
>>1109253
>it's a constantine WE WUZ thread
To the trash.
>>
>>1109325
I'm not sure what your point is, that Christianity stole its eschatology from Judaism? I affirm the eschatology as true and Christianity as the heir of ancient Judaism.

>>1109335
From your own link
>as formulated in the Pahlavi books

>Although Pahlavi was spoken as long ago as the 3rd century BCE, most of the written works that survive were compiled from older Zoroastrian material in the period after the Muslim conquest up to the 10th century CE.
>>
>>1109345

Yes, and written texts is not the only medium to transport information

Anyway, I'm not going to bother with you, you've shown time and time again you'll do almost anything to somehow make your version of Christianity seem the only true and good religion, including blatant misrepresentation
>>
>>1109357
>Yes, and written texts is not the only medium to transport information
That's true, there is oral tradition, but you're talking about placing an oral tradition awfully far back, like six hundred to a thousand years back at the MINIMUM. And this when it's not consistent with the religion, which is extremely polytheistic in the Avesta.
>>
>>1109322

I'm saying that the Abrahamic faiths and Zoroastrianism have a common origin, and that Abraham and Zoroaster may have been the same person.
>>
>>1109361

Judaism was originally polytheistic.
>>
>>1109373
Please show me some text where YHWH is worshiped with other gods.

>>1109370
Why do you think they had a common ancestor? The Old Testament and the Avesta have nothing in common except for extensive worship guidelines.
>>
>>1109253
Wait a minute. Other than a rejection of human sacrifice, what eschatological contributions did Abraham make?

>>1109375
YHWH and Elohim were different Deities and both were worshipped alongside Ba'al from time to time.

You do accept JEDP textual criticism and understand that Ezra redacted the Torah, right?
>>
>>1109425
>Wait a minute. Other than a rejection of human sacrifice, what eschatological contributions did Abraham make?
None, that's why I said *Christian* eschatology.

>YHWH and Elohim were different Deities
You do realize this is like saying, "Jehovah and God were different deities,"? El just means "god" and used for gods in general.

Baal might have been worshiped from time to time. To say Baal is originally part of Judaism, however, has no basis, since Jewish texts are uniformly negative about Baal, referring to him as Lord of the Flies. Judaism as in the religion of YHWH, is, as far back as it can be traced, always firmly against Baal.

Even secular scholars no longer widely accept the JEDP theory (which Harold Bloom laments).

>For much of the 20th century most scholars agreed that the five books of the Pentateuch—Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers and Deuteronomy—came from four sources, the Yahwist, the Elohist, the Deuteronomist and the Priestly source, each telling the same basic story, and joined together by various editors.[13] Since the 1970s there has been a revolution in scholarship: the Elohist source is now widely regarded as no more than a variation on the Yahwist, while the Priestly source is increasingly seen not as a document but as a body of revisions and expansions to the Yahwist (or "non-Priestly") material. (The Deuteronomistic source does not appear in Genesis).[14]
>>
File: image.jpg (92 KB, 500x532) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
92 KB, 500x532
>>1109443
>>
File: 7160280.jpg (13 KB, 234x261) Image search: [Google]
7160280.jpg
13 KB, 234x261
>>1109448
>>
>>1109373
Define "originally". If you mean that throughout their history they constantly worshipped other Gods then the Bible is in perfect agreement with you. The Bible claims, however, that there was always the monotheistic element alongside, and that it was their "original" belief received by revelation. Even at Mt. Sinai they built for themselves a false God (golden calf) and worshipped it.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.