[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Has anyone read this? I have heard that it has a tendency to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1
File: download (5).jpg (9 KB, 180x280) Image search: [Google]
download (5).jpg
9 KB, 180x280
Has anyone read this? I have heard that it has a tendency to caricature the nazi officials as well as other biases, does it detract from the book? would you recommend it?
>>
About two thirds of the way through my first read-through right now.

He doesn't hesitate to insert his personal opinions about people, but it's not hard to distinguish that from actual facts. More meaningful biases I'd leave to the experts to comment on.
>>
>>1104515
Does the book feel more like a work of history or journalism?
>>
>>1104495
It is written by a journalist. I recommend it and his book "Berlin Diary". Rise & Fall is a surprisingly quick read. Shirer was a radio correspondent before the U.S. entered the war.
>>
>>1104634
His Berlin Diary gives a first person account of trying to cover the war and deal with Nazi censors. He was the first person Edward Murrow hired.
>>
>>1104495

Here it is in epub

https://mega.nz/#!4B5liZgI!9XQGRCIzVxlcGUNmr0MNK0TKFFgzdM0Qm55FwOaEAvs
>>
>>1104495
I haven't read this, but I've read other books by Shirer. The biases are real, and strongly detract from his work.

>>1104534
It's the most dangerous sort. It 'feels' like a work of history, in the style of the prose, the arrangement of the chapters, etc. etc.

But it's not even very good journalism, in the ideal sense. He's got a knack as a storyteller. His bias, before anything political, is to find the juicy bits, frame it into a narrative and go with it.

In "Collapse of the Third Republic" he says that during the 6th of February Crisis, it was literally a few policemen holding the police cordon that prevented Hitler from winning the second world war.

Think on that.
>>
>>1104495
Yes, I consider it one of the best books ever written on the Third Reich. It's perfect if you want to get started on a serious broad study of the subject. Go into more specialized topics afterwards depending on what interests you.
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.