[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why were most philosophers unmarried and childless?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: Nicolás_Gómez_Dávila.jpg (23 KB, 200x287) Image search: [Google]
Nicolás_Gómez_Dávila.jpg
23 KB, 200x287
Why were most philosophers unmarried and childless?
>>
transcend base pleasures
acquire knowledge
>>
>>1104276
that's a pretty spooky
>>
>>1104272
Because philosophy is gay.
>>
>>1104286
this, those fags don't know nuffin
>>
File: YoungBlacks.jpg (160 KB, 500x325) Image search: [Google]
YoungBlacks.jpg
160 KB, 500x325
>>1104280
Spooks are real, anon.

Ignore them at your peril.
>>
>>1104272
they preempted existential antinatalism
>>
>>1104306

da fuck does that even mean
>>
>>1104363
>>>/dictionary/
>>
>>1104272

I wrote a post on this topic in a /lit/ Nietzsche thread a week ago; it has since expired but you may yet find it in the archive if you try very hard right now. Let me instead bullet my thoughts on the OP's prompt, this time.

-To say that "most" philosophers were/are some variety of bachelor, childless, permavirgin etc is hazardous, and deserving of its own statistical analysis, which I will not pretend to do now. However, two anecdotal counterexamples suggest themselves: Hegel married and sired children, as did "Don Colacho", the /very/ conservative subject of OP's pic, possibly presented as an instructive counter-example.

-Still, the meme is persistent, especially in philosophy, or otherwise in related "squishy/abstract" fields of intellectual human endeavor: Christ, Spinoza, Kant, Leibniz, Schopenhauer, Locke... I do vividly remember when it was first called to my attention by a professor: "oh, by the way, among everyone we're reading in this class, only one ever married: Berkeley." That class was where I became aware of the meme, which is evidence-based. In the old post I mentioned, I wrote that even Nietzsche had some quote about the permavirginity of the philosopher, and he went on to lament that some exceptional example (Hegel?) spoiled the trend.

I then (and now) attempt(ed) the serious reply that abstract/unproductive/autistic trains of thought are historically the domain of intelligent, undersexed men, precisely because those types have /the mental capacity and the free time to pursue their activity, and to document same/. In short, I will not rigorously agree that "most" philosophers are bachelors, but the tradition about it is strong enough that I will acknowledge what OP is getting at, and provide the above answer.
>>
lads hows the lovelife?
>>
>>1104272

Because they're mostly argumentative cunts who insist on their own ideas being right?
>>
>>1104464

Marx got married and had like 10 kids too.
>>
its a myth, lots had mistresses, lovers, wives, children etc.

You really just don't hear about the wives of famous thinkers at all cause they were usually the least important part of what people remember them for.
>>
>>1104272
the best philosopher was married and had a son

aristotle
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.