[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Roman Emperors General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 126
Thread images: 20
Who do you think is the greatest Roman Emperor ever?

I guess I would probably say Trajan, Septimius Severus or Diocletian.

I'm partial to Trajan because he took an empire that was potentially spiraling out of control, and restored its glory to its greatest heights. He also fixed taxes, created welfare programs for the poor, built projects at home and abroad (bridges, harbors and aqueducts), he was kind of like the ancient world Bernie Sanders. He also expanded the Roman Empire, it was huger than ever.

Septimius because he was a military genius and for being such a political mastermind. He was a soldier-emperor who presided over the greatest military expansion in Roman history. Rebuilt the city of Byzantium which quickly regained its previous prosperity. And what matters the most is that he ruled with the ideal of the overall good of the people in mind, and it seems that much of Roman history after him consists of a gradual and sometimes not so gradual decline downhill thereafter.

Diocletian because he was able to restore order and prosperity after decades of chaos, civil war and depletion. Also, because he started from the bottom and made his way through all ranks. Diocletian was also one of the few emperors who voluntarily gave up their power. What a great guy he was.

Augustus is also good, but too overrated, people who haven't read much don't understand that it's Augustus successors who did most of the work.

Constantine was the absolute worst, everything went downhill when he accepted Christianity

Don't post that Byzantine garbage, that's not the Roman Empire.
>>
>>1102299
>Septimius Severus
gonna have to agree with this

makes me proud of my race

pescenius niger is also fucking amazing
>>
>>1102336
>makes me proud of my race
What did you mean by this?
>>
>>1102299
Charlemagne
>>
File: septimius.jpg (107 KB, 713x659) Image search: [Google]
septimius.jpg
107 KB, 713x659
>>1102336
Word, brother.
>>
File: berber6.jpg (19 KB, 392x470) Image search: [Google]
berber6.jpg
19 KB, 392x470
>>1102373
Not /pol/ but neither Syrians nor Berbers are black. Like at all.
>>
>>1102373
>curly, not nappy hair
>thin lips
>nostrils dont protrude to the sides of the nose like the nigger on the right.

Also
>Berbers
>sub-Saharan africans
>>
File: 1461368592473.jpg (392 KB, 2000x2000) Image search: [Google]
1461368592473.jpg
392 KB, 2000x2000
>>1102373
>Berbers are black
>>
>>1102391
Berber tribes such as the Tuareg can be identified as black in modern day terms, these Maghrebi berbers or as I call them "pan-Maghrebists" are of mixed descent whether it be of Vandal, Arab, or French stock, they claim to be indigenous but that's a stretch (probably to claim indigenous rights).
>>
>>1102336
Holy shit, he really does look black here.
>>
>>1102299

Augustus set up a stable civil service and ended years of civil war. He got the Roman Empire off to a good start.

IDK what you mean by his successors. His immediate successors were Tiberius and Caligula, both who were fucking awful.

Its amazing his shitty family didn't kill the Empire in the first 100 years. Tiberius wouldn't even go to Rome because the people hated him. He let Sejanus turn it into a pleb run police state with constant show trials and purges.

Caligula was somehow worse.
>>
Diocletian was ok but he had a retarded succession scheme. He had two Caesars and one Augustus all on the same side, causing the Tetrachry to spin apart.

The correct answer is: Restitutor Orbis Aurelian. Didn't get to be emperor long, but he basically put a broken empire back together again.
>>
Tiberius was a evil a perverted man that killd caligulas parents and held caligula as a prisoner on his island capri'
caligula or (gaius julius caesar) could have been a great ruler but tiberius destroyd that. and gave rome a man whoes soul and life was destroyed. he was a victim!!!!!

tiberius is one of the reason why the ancient roman empire has such a bad rep he was realy a decadent and perveted man
the roman people hated tiberius

worst rulers of Rome

1.nero
2.tiberius
3.commudus
>>
>>1102378
idiot
>>
>>1103053
>>>/africa/

Please go back nigger, and stay there.
>>
>>1102299
Trajan has my vote.
>>
File: 1461241240666.png (15 KB, 473x454) Image search: [Google]
1461241240666.png
15 KB, 473x454
>>1102299
>top-tier emperors

>Augustus Caesar
>Trajan
>Hadrian
>Marcus Aurelius
>Diocletian
>Constantine
>Julian the Apostate
>Justinian
>Heraclius
>Alexius I Komnenos
>Constantine XI

You all know this to be true
>>
>>1102299
Augustus nigger
>>
>>1102514
>Tiberius awful
t. Cassius and other Senatorial faggots
>>
>>1102299
>created welfare programs for the poor
>he was kind of like the ancient world Bernie Sanders
He didn't tell the Romans they don't know what it's like to be poor.

>Constantine was the absolute worst, everything went downhill when he accepted Christianity
On the contrary, the reign of Valentinian afterward is considered one of the Empire's golden ages.
>>
>>1103267
>no Gaius Julius Caesar
>>
>>1103295
>emperors
>>
>>1103297
?
>>
>>1103300
Julius Caesar was never an emperor. His great-nephew and adopted son Augustus Caesar was the first emperor.
>>
Augustus
Vespasian
Trajan
Hadrian
Antoninus
Marcus Aurelius
Aurelian
Constantine
>>
>>1102299
>Diocletian was also one of the few emperors who voluntarily gave up their power. What a great guy he was.
Just because he wanted to prove his shitty tetrarchy would be a good idea, which it wasn't.
He retired to a huge city-mansion. Not very humble.
>>
>>1103305
How was Augustus Caesar's step son again? How does the adoption after death work?

lmao
>>
>>1103315
>which it wasn't
How so?
>>
>>1103322
Julius adopted Octavian (Augustus) in his will and made him his legal heir.
>>
>>1103322
>How does the adoption after death work?
Adoption basically just means your chosen successor for Roman emperors.
>>
>>1103325
Under Diocletian, it worked decently because everyone knew he was the real deal. Afterwards there was no clear leadership between the four and it led to disorder.
>>
>>1103328
>in his will
Holy shit, really? I thought it was all just a part of Augustus' power-tripping.
>>
File: andrea-1.jpg (107 KB, 536x640) Image search: [Google]
andrea-1.jpg
107 KB, 536x640
>best emperor
>not caligula

get out of here you Jewish heretics
>>
>>1102299
Nero
Caligula
Commodus
>>
>>1103267
> no Vespasian

Vitellius pls go
>>
>>1103362
>brainlets will debate this
>>
>son of a freed slave (mother) and peasant farmer (father)

>disdainforplebemperors.zip
>>
>no mention of Marcus Licinius Crassus
>>
What do people think of Memoirs of Hadrian?
>>
>>1102299

Romulus Augustus for most ironic name in history.
>>
>>1103267

>"Don't post that Byzantine garbage, that's not the Roman Empire."
>posts a bunch of Byzantine emperors
>>
>>1104685
Augustulus*
>>
>>1104688

The opinion of some meme autist doesn't just magically make the Byzantines non-Roman.
>>
>>1103267
>Diocletian
>Julian the Apostate
*tips fedora*
>>
What about Marucs Aurelius? How was he as a leader?
>>
>>1104685
>Romulus Augustus
Why is that ironic?
>>
>>1104736
But they fucking aren't.

Not only did they not speak the same language, they also weren't the same people.
>>
>>1105374
>not only did they not speak the same language
>same language
>everyone in the unified roman empire spoke latin
hurr durr
>>
Scipio Africanus was pretty cool
>>
>>1105365
It's not ironic but it is coincidental that the emperor named for the founder of rome and the founder of the empire was exiled to effectively kill both.
>>
>>1103309
You forgot Majorian but good list otherwise.
>>
>>1104719

Augustulus was a diminutive nickname tho
>>
File: Caracalla.jpg (304 KB, 819x566) Image search: [Google]
Caracalla.jpg
304 KB, 819x566
>>1102373
Looked more like this probably
>>
>>1103309
Good list

>Antoninus

Comfiest emperor
>>
>>1102299
>Don't post that Byzantine garbage, that's not the Roman Empire

Fuck you, Justinian and Heraclius are based
>>
File: gibbon.jpg (49 KB, 700x394) Image search: [Google]
gibbon.jpg
49 KB, 700x394
>everything went downhill when he accepted Christianity
>>
File: disdainforcolumbo.jpg (207 KB, 1434x568) Image search: [Google]
disdainforcolumbo.jpg
207 KB, 1434x568
>>1105704
just one more thing....
>>
File: Gibbon.png (43 KB, 808x690) Image search: [Google]
Gibbon.png
43 KB, 808x690
>>1105738
>filename
>>
>>1105752
>>1105704
I can't believe they let a Carthaginian be Emperor.

How far Rome fell.
>>
>Trajan
>Ancient world Bernie Sanders

lel OP you delusional fuck.
>>
>>1102425
Berbers were never black. Since the introduction of the Camel, the Saharan berbers have become much more mixed.
>>
>>1103343

I am extremely interested as to why you think Caligula was the best emperor.
>>
>>1105704
Why is it so fucking hard for you autists to accept that there was actually a black emperor?
>>
>>1103267
Add Constantius III to the list, remove Constantine.
>>
>>1105761
You're wrong, Berbers originate from Eastern Africa, yes Saharan Berbers have become much more mixed which coincides with the Arabization of Northern Africa.
>>
>Don't post that Byzantine garbage, that's not the Roman Empire.

What legitimate authority does the WRE have over the ERE as far as being "the real" Roman Empire. Legally WRE was inferior to the ERE
>>
>>1104736
>The opinion of some meme autist doesn't just magically make the Byzantines Roman.
>>
>>1106613
Because there wasn't.

Take your we wuz caesarz and shiet routine elsewhere.
>>
>>1106613
Because there wasn't. Caracalla wasn't black. Syrians aren't black. Berbers aren't black.
>>
>>1106613
why is it so fucking hard for niggers to accept their irrelevance?
>>
>>1105758

>Carthaginigger kills his brother to become emperor
>He is the worst piece of shit ever only eclipsed by his successor Elagabalus

Macinus did nothing wrong desu
>>
Murder and conquest does not make an emperor great. Peace and stability led to Rome's golden age.
>>
>>1107344
Well the WRE actually controlled Rome so there's that.
>>
>>1106613
Why do black people need to insist that every single historical figure who isn't dually recorded as being lily-white blond-haired and blue-eyed MUST have been black?
>>
>>1108585
Rome held little value by the last two centuries of the WRE.

The Byzantine Empire is only referred to as such by historians to differentiate it between when the East Roman Empire existed with the WRE and after when the WRE fell.

It is the exact same empire however.
>>
Why are Byzantines considered non-Roman again?
>>
>>1110257
Because of a meme.

>Eastern
>Roman
>Empire
>>
>>1110257
Not the same people.

Byzantines are primarily descendants of Ancient Greeks, not Romans.
>>
>>1108585
I fucking hate when people say this, it just shows how little they know of the era.

Rome stopped being relevant in about 200 AD.

By the 4th century Milan, Ravenna and shit even Trier, were more important cities.
>>
>>1110401
And WRE was mostly filled with people who descended from Iberians, Bretons and Gauls. What's your point?
>>
>>1110677
The point is that Romans are not the same people as Byzantines.
>>
>>1110677
>Gauls
not really
>>
>>1102299
>he was kind of like the ancient world Bernie Sanders.
This guy "saw" the future
>>
>>1105374

You are such a fucking idiot.
>>
>>1110704

So the eastern half of the empire was never part of the Roman empire then? Jesus Christ I can only assume that the outrageously anachronistic understanding of ethnic identity is ubiquitous on this board because it is largely populated by neckbeard History Channel aficionados.
>>
File: disgusted basileus.png (65 KB, 316x456) Image search: [Google]
disgusted basileus.png
65 KB, 316x456
>>1110704
and what period did the "Romans" stop being "Roman"?
when they began to expand outside of Rome itself and the 7 hills into the rest of Latium? Or out of Latium into the rest of Italy? When they took over Cisalpine Gaul? When they expanded into Transalpine Narbonensis Gaul? Sicily?
Post-212 and the Constitutio Antoniniana?

you're a fucking retard, "Byzantines" aren't even a people unless you're referring to people who inhabited the Greek colony of Byzantion, its a shitty term invented by some french poofs that has now become twisted by pan headed niggers like yourself
>>
File: Aurelian.jpg (34 KB, 229x216) Image search: [Google]
Aurelian.jpg
34 KB, 229x216
This motherfucker right here, no question.

He achieved more in his short reign than most Roman Emperors put together. His military record is stellar, he was severely just and punished corrupt officials mercilessly. He was one of the very few individuals of the time period to even understand, let alone attempt to rectify the god awful economic situation the Empire was in - his coinage reforms actually provoked a mint-workers revolt in Rome, which he put down brutally.

Let alone the fact that within three years Aurelian united the entire Roman world which was on the brink of total collapse from three splinter states into one whole, at the same time as successfully fending off constant barbarian incursions.

Were it not for that massive faggot secretary of his, he would likely have seen great success in his Persian campaign as well.
>>
>>1110704

The best Roman Emperors came from the provinces, not Italy. Except for Augustus of course.
>>
>>1110704
Roman is a cultural thing you fool. There are no ethnic romans or ethnic byzantines. If you apply the same standard to the WRE, it was never a roman empire.

The patricians spoke Greek, they worshipped Eastern gods and cults, their armies were full of provincials, their emperors were Syrians, Iberians, and Illyrians. Rome itself was irrelevant for two centuries before the WRE fell.

Unless you seriously want to claim the Roman empire died with Diocletian or Severus, then your argument is nonsense.
>>
>>1111089
>The patricians spoke Greek
when did that happen? besides that speaking greek was a posh thing to do of course

oh let me remind you too that russian nobility had a hard-on for french language and culture in 18th century, I guess this makes them french too
>>
>>1111099

The patricians spoke Greek brought up because people like you have a hard on for the idea that "if you didn't speak latin you weren't Roman".

Also you neatly ignored all his other points.
>>
>>1110920
Rome should have broken up into 3 successor states instead being forcefully reunified.

Would have been better than a total collapse of the West and the East getting raped repeatedly for a thousand years by Persians, Arabs, Bulgars, Franks and Turks.
>>
>>1111119
fucccccckkk who got the gets

>>1111111
>>
>>1111123
Any side that doesn't control the east is fucked, in the long run.

It would've been the same result.
>>
>>1110756
What's next, you gonna say how Slavs are Romans too because they came around the time when Romans were still there?
>>
>>1111045
Constantine and Justinian were fucking geniuses.
>>
>>1111089
>Severus was a bad Emperor

hate this meme :/
>>
File: nastja6.jpg (101 KB, 895x505) Image search: [Google]
nastja6.jpg
101 KB, 895x505
>>1111691
Within decades after the capture of Constantinople by Mehmed II of the Ottoman Empire on 29 May 1453, some Eastern Orthodox people were nominating Moscow as the "Third Rome", or the "New Rome".[9] Stirrings of this sentiment began during the reign of Ivan III of Russia who had married Sophia Paleologue. Sophia was a niece of Constantine XI, the last Byzantine emperor.
>>
Rome is an idea, some stupid historians gave the Byzantine Empire that name to differentiate it between the WRE.

Of course they have nothing to do with each other.
>>
>>1111698
I'm not sure if you think either of them were Roman or are just commenting on their abilities but both Constantine and Justinian were Illyrian.

>>1111701
I didn't say he was bad. He was however a provincial of Punic descent.

I would also argue that his maxim of paying the military bigger and bigger bonuses to keep them in line was setting up a massive failure.
>>
>>1112002
>Constantine was Illyrian
How so? His father's name was literally Marcus Flavius Valerius Constantius Herculius Augustus.

Fuck, this stuff is so confusing.
>>
>>1111701
You talking about Septimius Severus? It has been scientifically proven that black people have lower IQs (not some /pol/ shit, really, it's true), so there's your answer for his poor leadership.

However, like all blacks, he was physically superior to all the other races, hence his excellent military career.
>>
>>1112002
Septimius Severus was a great general and a powerful Emperor, one cannot help feeling sorry for a mighty ruler like Septimius whose two sons were so unworthy of him.
>>
>>1112020
Constantine's father was Illyrio-Roman

>>1112037
Severus wasn't black you fucking mong. Piss off.

>>1112060
Completely failed to address my point but yea, he was a solid emperor. Shame his sons were ridiculous.
>>
File: 1430859850479.jpg (9 KB, 160x177) Image search: [Google]
1430859850479.jpg
9 KB, 160x177
>>1111691
THE ERE WASN'T A SUCCESSOR NIGGA
SLAVS CLAIM TO BE SUCCESSORS, NOT A DIRECT CONTINUATION
THE ERE WAS A DIRECT CONTINUATION OF THE ROMAN EMPIRE JUST AS THE WRE WAS
>>
I'm gonna name my first son after Septimius, what a great historical figure.
>>
>>1106613

>if we can demonstrate that this terrible emperor who was effectively born into the job and lasted about 2 years before being murdered by his own soldiers for being a massive cock was black, surely that will strike a blow against racial prejudice!

i am LMAOing at your life
>>
>>1112082
But there are Slavs like Serbs or Croats who will claim to be descendants of Romans because they mixed with each other.
>>
File: smug (2).png (75 KB, 198x198) Image search: [Google]
smug (2).png
75 KB, 198x198
>>1112104
don't forget the Niger as a reminder of where your wife's son comes from
>>
>>1112082
>SLAVS CLAIM TO BE SUCCESSORS

We don't, cucklord.

>le Slav equals Russian meme
>>
>>1112115
sorry
>RELEVANT SLAVS CLAIM TO BE SUCCESSORS
fxed

>>1112113
what does that have to do with what I said?
some psuedo-illyrians claiming to be paternally descended from Constantine I himself is irrelevant to the ERE being a DIRECT continuation of the Roman Empire
>>
>>1112129
>ERE being a DIRECT continuation of the Roman Empire
lol
>>
>>1112132
prove me wrong
protip: you can't
>>
>>1112129
>muh relevance maymay

Back to /int/
>>
>>1112145
Back to /pol/ you fucking idiotic retard
>>
>>1112148
not me btw, why you being so hostile nigga

>>1112145
I don't care about slavs fám
>>
>>1112151
Then stop bringing them up amiga

>>1112148
Back on my cock you slut
>>
>>1112129
Could you sort/rate the slavs by their relevance?
>>
>>1112132
You can lol as much as you want. The ERE is just that. The Eastern Roman empire.

It was the exact same thing that was united with the Western Roman Empire for centuries. Then half of it collapsed. The other half remained, the exact same thing.

If I got you legs off and throw them in the trash you aren't a different person.
>>
>>1112156
>Then stop bringing them up amiga
I didn't mo chara

>>1112158
I guess
all balkan slavs are irrelevant
all baltic slavs are irrelevant
polan and rossiskaya only relevent slave
>>
>>1112168
>all baltic slavs are irrelevant
Baltic Slavs haven't existed for like 1000 years, if you discount the Poles.
>>
>>1112168
fuck you
>>
>>1112184
:^)
>>
Augustus
Hadrian
Antoninus Pious
Otto the Great
>>
File: 1385537264735.jpg (244 KB, 677x782) Image search: [Google]
1385537264735.jpg
244 KB, 677x782
>Tfw you will never see Horatius fight off an Etruscan army at the Pons Sublicus
>Tfw you will never salt the soil of Carthage
>Tfw you will never stand with Spartacus as he is crucified on the Appian Way
>Tfw you will never ride with Caesar at Alesia
>Tfw you won't ride with Pompey into the Temple of Solomon
>Tfw Augustus finds Rome brick and makes in marble
>Tfw Claudius invades Britannia
>Tfw you will never sack Anglesey with Paulinus, destroying the last stronghold of the Druids
>Tfw you will never sit in the Colosseum and watch Gladiators fight to the death
>Tfw you will never accompany Hadrian to Athens and listen to philosophy
>Tfw you won't rape and pillage Dacia with the legions of Trajan
>Tfw you will never ride with the Philosopher-Emperor Marcus Aurelius in battle against the Germans
>Tfw when Pertinax is assassinated by the Praetorians
>Tfw you will never stand with the legions at Adrianople against the massed Goths
>Tfw you will never see Palmyra sacked by Aurelian, Restorer of the World
>Tfw you will never cry with Augustine when the Mother of the World Has Fallen in 410 AD
>>
Andronikos I Komnenos is GOAT.
Thread replies: 126
Thread images: 20

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.