[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Great history movies
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 8
File: lawrence-of-arabia-poster.jpg (135 KB, 1267x971) Image search: [Google]
lawrence-of-arabia-poster.jpg
135 KB, 1267x971
Starting with the classic https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lChJz2DSpsE
>>
>>10952
Man, someone should stream Lawrence of Arabia tonight in honor of /his/. It was just put on Netflix. I've seen the movie twice this year, no joke, and am totally willing to watch it a third.
>>
>>10952
Dr. Zhivago was great.
Das Boot is also a good watch, too. (though it's subbed)
>>
>>10999
Trips.

Oh, and as for contributing to the discussion, I recommend everyone watch HBO's Rome.
>>
>>11024
Are we including series? If so, Three Kingdoms and Legend of the Galactic Heroes (though it's not a history movie per se, the author of the books it's based on is a massive history buff and certainly a series anyone who's a history buff themselves will appreciate.)
>>
>>11013

Dr. Zhivago could have been great if they had cut it down to under 6 hours.
>>
>>11191
It was fairly long, aye, but you can't discount a film because of that.
>>
>>11013
There is also a dubbed version, if you hate yourself.
>>
File: master and commander.gif (1015 KB, 500x237) Image search: [Google]
master and commander.gif
1015 KB, 500x237
Master and Commander
>>
>>12590
shill it to me, never heard of it.
>>12359
what an awful idea
>>
>>13181
Is really good. Its based off Navy Combat in the Napoleonic wars.
>>
File: 1ebbdf47.jpg (182 KB, 1920x734) Image search: [Google]
1ebbdf47.jpg
182 KB, 1920x734
>>13181
Russell Crowe is a ship captain in the Royal Navy during the Napoleonic Wars, being pursued by a stronger French ship roundabout South America. He uses cunning tricks to deal with this, and the movie is about as realistic a depiction of the times as you'll ever see, and a large chunk of the movie was shot on an actual tall ship. The only historical inaccuracy noted by critics is a scene in which ships attempt to fight in a storm, though it may be argued that this is a symptom of the captain's personality rather than the times. Well, that and a bit less screaming than there ought to be in the fight scenes.

Also the book series it's based on has like 20 books and they're all great.
>>
>>13685
thanks anon
>>
>>10952
oh man I love this movie.
>>
>>13706
>>13720
*anons
>>
>>
>>10952
Too bad there are no good medieval history movies. I am pretty well"read" in movies and I have yet to see/hear of a single good movie about European medieval history.

>Inb4 the extended cut of Kingdom of Heaven.
>>
>>13838
>European medieval history
Does the Seventh Seal and Andrei Rublev count?
>>
File: barry-lyndon.jpg (733 KB, 809x1219) Image search: [Google]
barry-lyndon.jpg
733 KB, 809x1219
>>
>>14001
This'ing the fuck out of this.
>>
>>
Barry Lyndon and the Hornblower movies are good, even if Hornblower does have its highs and lows.
>>
Romper Stomper.
It's about a white poverished minority struggling against discrimination and racism themselves. Really inspirational.

But it's past the 25 year rules though, so not really topical to the board.
>>
Gladiator
>>
>>14210
No
>>
Not exactly history but Les Mis (2012) is very quality in terms of atmosphere of France at the time.
>>
>>14230
yes
>>
>>14001
Literally one of the best films ever made.
>>
>>10952
Reminder that T.E. Lawrence wrote a gargantuan memoir on the Arab Revolt.

>>13932
The Seventh Seal most definitely does not count, it is a modern movie with a medieval setting. A case could be made for Bergman's The Virgin Spring, being based on a medieval poem and from what I remember, no fantasy.
>>
>>14274
No
>>
>>10952
Is accuracy a required factor, or can they be good movies in a historical setting?

What about The Searchers?
>>
>>13932
>Does the Seventh Seal
Probably not. Great movie, but the focus is really elsewhere.
>and Andrei Rublev count?
Definitely.
>>
File: ten commandments.jpg (59 KB, 331x475) Image search: [Google]
ten commandments.jpg
59 KB, 331x475
>>
File: kingdomofheaven.png (63 KB, 769x494) Image search: [Google]
kingdomofheaven.png
63 KB, 769x494
Pretty historically inaccurate but I really like pic related
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.