[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Please no more shitposting/christposting
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: wittgenstein.jpg (28 KB, 236x317) Image search: [Google]
wittgenstein.jpg
28 KB, 236x317
What is a "language game"? Does Wittgenstein ever attempt to give a simple explanation?
>>
>>1093730

Do you know the builder/slab example from Philosophical Investigations?
>>
>>1093748
Yeah, I'm pretty sure I know it, but I feel like I'd have a really hard time explaining it to someone who doesn't get it.
>>
>>1093766

One of the builders says to the other:

"Please bring me a slab"

or he says

"Slab!"

Does the meaning of these two different utterances differ? An analytic philosophy autist could talk all day about how their syntactic forms differ, but Wittgenstein's claim is that the two don't differ in their meaning here because they have the same role in the language game between the two builders.
>>
>>1093777

And just to add to that, that this language game between the two builders can only exist within the context of the activity they are already engaged in, and therefore doesn't have its own transcendental existence autonomous of such activities. This is why Witty is often interpreted as a nominalist.
>>
>>1093777
Yes, but that one example doesn't cover the extent of language games. Like, it provides one example, but you also must discuss the role of definition, the role of logic, argumentation and so forth, to really grasp how he uses it.

I'm stuck where I don't think it's possible to communicate what Wittgenstein means in any compact form, any new comprehension of language games must involve discussion
>>
>>1093787

Well, if my explanation wasn't good enough for you fine.
>>
>>1093806
>>1093787

That's what I get for trying to help someone on a shitty internet forum.
>>
>>1093806
>>1093807
calm your tits bud, i'm glad at least someone on /his/ is actually interested in philosophy, i just think you misunderstood what i'm asking about.
>>
>>1093809

>What is a "language game"? Does Wittgenstein ever attempt to give a simple explanation?

No, I'm pretty sure there was nothing wrong with my post and you're just being a cunt. Wittgenstein only really talks about language games in terms of examples in his entire oeuvre and if that's not good enough for you, you can fuck off.
>>
>>1093819
You first.
>>
>>1093831

Cool discussion.
>>
>>1093836
>do you know the slab discussion
>yes
><oversimplified but accurate version of the slab discussion>
>not what i meant
><intense anger>

i clearly didn't want what he gave me, don't know what the point of his emotional bullshit is.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.