[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How did people in the past deal with the cold? I live in the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 6
File: siberian-woods.jpg (3 MB, 3264x2176) Image search: [Google]
siberian-woods.jpg
3 MB, 3264x2176
How did people in the past deal with the cold? I live in the UK and struggle to deal with the winter weather even with modern advances such as insulation and advanced coats. I can't imagine what it's like in Russia today let alone hundreds or thousands of years ago.
>>
>>1091742

Natural insulation and more primitive coats.
>>
>>1091742
M8 they didn't wear cotton and that sort of shit.

Oh and they weren't little bitches
>>
>>1091742
>>1091742
>The nation of the Suevi is by far the largest and the most warlike nation of all the Germans. They are said to possess a hundred cantons, from each of which they yearly send from their territories for the purpose of war a thousand armed men: the others who remain at home, maintain [both] themselves and those-engaged in the expedition. The latter again, in their turn, are in arms the year after: the former remain at home. Thus neither husbandry, nor the art and practice of war are neglected. But among them there exists no private and separate land; nor are they permitted to remain more than one year in one place for the purpose of residence. They do not live much on corn, but subsist for the most part on milk and flesh, and are much [engaged] in hunting; which circumstance must, by the nature of their food, and by their daily exercise and the freedom of their life (for having from boyhood been accustomed to no employment, or discipline, they do nothing at all contrary to their inclination), both promote their strength and render them men of vast stature of body. And to such a habit have they brought themselves, that even in the coldest parts they wear no clothing whatever except skins, by reason of the scantiness of which, a great portion of their body is bare, and besides they bathe in open rivers.
>>
>>1091742
>How did people in the past deal with the cold?
You live in a house with more than one room.
You live in a house with high ceilings, windows, doors.
You live in a house without 4 pigs, 2 cows, 2 horses, 4 dogs, innumerable cats.
Fewer than 8 people live in your house.
You don't keep a wood/dung fire burning constantly.
>>
>>1093201

These.

2000 Calories/day = approximately 100 watts. Almost all of your food energy is converted eventually to heat. That should give you an idea of what a lot of bodies in a small space can do.
>>
>>1093222
>That should give you an idea of what a lot of bodies in a small space can do.

An orgy?
>>
People wore capes and shit
>>
>>1091742
>I live in the UK and struggle to deal with the winter weather even with modern advances such as insulation and advanced coats.

Why don't you try advanced fucking central heating and air, you neanderthal?
>>
>>1093201
>>1093222
These.

Plus, if we're talking dark and middle ages, people that couldn't handle the cold just died.
>>
>>1095083
I'm a student and we can't afford to keep the heating on for long in the winter. Also my house is terribly insulated so it takes longer for the house to get warm.
>>
>>1095209
start wearing a wool cape, using fire for illumination, and sleep next to your 13 year old wife and a cow.
>>
>>1095482
Wait, you can get a 13 old wife in England?
>>
File: rty0017_08_362021.jpg (39 KB, 472x314) Image search: [Google]
rty0017_08_362021.jpg
39 KB, 472x314
>>1091742
What is this cold you speak of?
>>
File: Cozy Furs.jpg (65 KB, 800x529) Image search: [Google]
Cozy Furs.jpg
65 KB, 800x529
>>1097025
>>
>>1091830

>corn

litmemes.jpg

>>1091742

Honestly you're just a pussy. Wearing warm clothes and keeping yourself heated turns you into a bitch for cold.
>>
>>1097084
Before american corn, corn was just a umbrella term for grains kinda like grain is a umbrella term for grains
>>
>>1097127

I know that. Doesn't change the fact that it's a meme.
>>
File: pasta.jpg (20 KB, 500x390) Image search: [Google]
pasta.jpg
20 KB, 500x390
>>1091742
>and advanced coats

your aspie is showing
>>
>>1091742
The natives of Greenland has their clothes tightened and wrapped with the fur inwards so when they fall in the water they won't get as wet. Also natural selection has shortened their hands and fingers, they are stubbier build to hold warmth effectively.

If you look up how log houses are build you can see how carefull they are about cracks and insulation. Insulation is a must, especially against the ground as it taps out warmth faster than the air, having worn a rubber isolation under my feet in a winter military excercise it alone worked wonders.

Also, you get used to the cold if you just expose yourself to it enough. Leep moving your body, do some push ups and wa la, you're warm.
>>
>>1091742
Try a being close to a fire.
>>
>>1096099
In Bradford probably.
>>
Even in the 60s people could not afford to heat their homes over like 60 degrees fahrenheit. Another one of the reasons why productivity and IQ were lower.
>>
>>1091742
Wool, layering, and being extremely careful about insulation. Poor people would usually wear literally every piece of clothing they had during the winter.
>>
>>1097374
>Also natural selection has shortened their hands and fingers, they are stubbier build to hold warmth effectively.
The other way around, but yes, due to natural selection
>>
>>1091742
>live in the UK
>struggle to deal with winter weather

have you tried not being a pussy?
>>
File: bering.gif (47 KB, 480x378) Image search: [Google]
bering.gif
47 KB, 480x378
You know I'm kinda wondering about this too. The native Americans were supposed to arrive on the American continent through the Bering land bridge, which was frozen to all fuck. There's cases today when even animals native to that area freeze to death during winter, yet we're somehow supposed to believe that people had no problem travelling through there back during the last glacial maximum when temperatures were much colder.
>>
>>1098635
>people had no problem travelling through there

I'm sure they had problems anon, but it obviously wasn't impossible.
>>
>>1091742

they dealt with it in exactly the same way we do, they burned a fucton of fuel

besides, havent you ever seen people heat on firewood? stockpiles of wood next to sheds, axes, chainsaws, that whole deal, smoke from a chimney?

and wool socks were a thing too
>>
>>1091742

Inuits and siberian tribes literally weave winter boots out of tundra moss and manage to make them insulate against the cold better than most high-quality winter clothing and shit
>>
>>1091742
It is much easier to heat up a small room than an entire house. Also when you are outside laboring all day you produce a lot of body heat. This is an interesting documentary you might want to look at.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Living_in_the_Past_(TV_series)
>>
>>1098635
There is this thing called "summer"...
>>
>>1091742
Bonglanders have been living in that cold island for so long that they should be numb to the feeling of the cold around it and only notice areas that are warmer or hotter than it.
>>
If you ever feel cold you just don't wear enough clothes. Also there isn't much difference between coats now and coats then.
>>
Exactly because of insulation, excessive heating of homes and too heavy coats you're not used to cold anymore.

I used to live in a old house when I was a kid with very bad insulation and a single "log burner" (don't know the word) for a 200m2 space, every visitor kept their coat in the house and slept bad but we were hanging in t shirt and sleeping like angels, it's because they "lost" their cold resistance
>>
>>1100370
You havent been with girls with bad circulation. Packed like eskimos, still cold hands and feet.
>>
>>1098635
>>1091742
Um. FIRE???

Fire burns at like 2000C
Its the ultimate form of heating. You can stay warm next to a fire even without shelter.

2000 CELSIUS
>>
>>1091742
>I live in the UK and struggle to deal with the winter weather even with modern advances such as insulation and advanced coats

No you fucking don't. By "struggle", you mean you don't like it. You're not actually in fucking danger of hypothermia or frostbite like the ancient peasants were.
>>
Fur and untreated wool. Like seriously, wrap yourself in a full circle inch thick cape and you'll be sweating. Also water repellant.
>>
>>1100437
Hey look guys a retard, its very hot flames to reach those temperatures and heat becomes weaker the more distant you are from it, something really fucking hot like the sun can give you skin cancer from a mindboggling distance, where as a small fire can only burn you fingers about 3ft in front of it.
>>
>>1100420
Shit, I'm a guy and I still get cold hands and feet.
>>
>>1098635
>yet we're somehow supposed to believe that people had no problem travelling through there
No, you are supposed to believe some of those siberians, which had been living in cold-ass tundra for generations, managed, in the period of thousand of years, to get their ass across into Alaska.
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.