[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Swimming in History
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (83 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
83 KB, 640x480
What do we know about swimming throughout history? Who were some notable figures who swam?

I know Charlemagne was known to swim laps in his pool, which is really cool because Europeans forgot how to swim at some point.
>>
>>1082206

About the only thing I can remember off the top of my head is that in a discussion in the Gemara of the things a father needs to do for his son in order to be a proper parent, there's a split among the Rabbis whether or not teaching him to swim should be counted as minimum acceptable practice.
>>
>>1082206
The British Imperial navy would only accept recruits who could not swim, because those would defend the ships for longer.
>>
In the Netherlands you learn to swim at school.
>>
>>1082206
Vaugely related. There was a Roman emperor (cant remember which) who sent a slave to the baths everyday to round up people with gross hernias.

Then he would line them all up so the could get a good look at them.

Then give guy or gal with the biggest/grossest/weirdest hernia a prize.

Life was hard for weirdos before image boards.
>>
In Ghent you learn to swim at school.
>>
>>1082285

the british imperial navy also kidnapped people and forced them into labour at sea. great HR practices
>>
>>1082336
All the navies did that. Merchants and pirates also.
There is a moment int he fictional book of XIX century Zalacain The Adventurer which I love.
>main character gets kidnapped into slavist ship
>crew whines to the captain about the black slaves receiving better treatment than the crew.
>captain answers "Of course, you dumbasses. Every nigger cost me twenty pesetas, and I get you for free in any port!"
>>
File: Murraycom_reuters2_2300353b.jpg (113 KB, 620x388) Image search: [Google]
Murraycom_reuters2_2300353b.jpg
113 KB, 620x388
>>1082336
E T E R N A L
T
E
R
N
A
L
>>
>>1082365
No. It was not in Zalacain The Adventurer. It was in The Adventures of Xanti Andia.

Pio Baroja sure liked adventurers.
>>
>>1082206
In the norse sagas to be a hero its pretty much a requirement you be a great swimmer. In frigid Baltic/Icelandic water no less.
>>
>>1082336
Man, I was just kidding. The joke is ancient.
>>
>>1082206
Chairman Mao swam over the Yangze a lot while his country was starving to death
>>
>>1082490
He also went swimming during a visit by Khrushchev, who could not swim. Khrushchev had to be given armbands. This was one of the defining factors in the Sino-Soviet split.
>>
did everyone swim breaststroke back in the day? forward crawl was only created recently, no?

was swimming an olympic sport for the greeks?
>>
>>1082365
Why does Hollywood never show us that the crew usually endured worse condition than the Atlantic slaves?

I'd like a "centrist" or "leftist" to answer this, as I already know what the others will say.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.