[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do we need morals? Philosophy doesn't actually make
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
File: 1462252343999.jpg (235 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1462252343999.jpg
235 KB, 1920x1080
Why do we need morals? Philosophy doesn't actually make progress and have proves no unified facts, so it's worthless in regards to morality, and we all know religion must be rejected if we hope to advance, and those are the only two sources of complex morality, so are we ready, as humanity, to transcend morality altogether?
>>
>>1079535
No
>>
>>1079652
Maybe
>>
>getting rid of morality is good
no
even if try to make it sound good with words like transcend
>>
File: 1462156070030.png (9 KB, 493x402) Image search: [Google]
1462156070030.png
9 KB, 493x402
Am I the only one who thinks 'transcending" sounds boring as fuck?
>You become light itself
>No emotions
>No Morals
>No wants or desires
>No death, endless existence with no escape
>No physical form; you can't do anything
>Intangible, you can't kill yourself
>You know everything/near everything, meaning there's nothing to learn, nothing to discover
>No point in talking to others, they're exactly the same as you, there's no reason to
>You probably can't talk regardless
What's the point? What is there to do? I get that you can't feel boredom or pain or loneliness, but what do you do? Do you just sit around and wait for the universe to end? Can someone explain this to me?
>>
>>1079520
> and we all know religion must be rejected if we hope to advance
Sounds like you've got yourself a spook of the moral variety.
>>
>>1079821
You're assuming that knowing everything wouldn't radically alter your perceptions. Also, why would this
>No wants or desires
>No physical form; you can't do anything
Be true? If you know everything, would you not potentially find hidden desires? Would you not know how to reconstitute yourself?
>>
> Why do we need morals?
To know what we should do.
>>
>>1079859
> radically alter your perceptions
If you really know everything your perception would be useless anyway. You can know without looking how everything seems like for example.
>>
Even le spooky meme man wasn't against morals.
>>
>>1079821
By the sounds of it, you'd be a perfect being, satisfied entirely in your own existence, which would be all things at all times.
>>
>>1079874
How do you know that will remain true at the highest levels of consciousness? There may be such deep systemic differences at the heart of knowing as to render the entire thing incomprehensible and unintelligible to us.
>>
>>1079888
Truth remains true in all levels of existence.
>>
>>1079901
Nice spook
>>
>>1080037
I proclaim this the most haunted thread on /his/ right now.
>>
>>1079901
What defines the truth?
>>
>>1079520
>Why do we need morals?
So society can function, dumby.
>>
>>1079901
I think the point is that transcendence necessarily involves closer contact with the truth than lower levels of awareness or consciousness.
>>
>>1079520

>philosophy only exists to discuss 'morals'

The idiocy of people that come here ...
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.