[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Alexander as a Tactician
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2
File: MTIwNjA4NjMzNzIxNzUxMDUy.jpg (249 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
MTIwNjA4NjMzNzIxNzUxMDUy.jpg
249 KB, 1200x1200
Did he just spam pikes or was he actually a brilliant general or tactician? Can anyone who knows a good deal about this explain?
>>
File: 1420416889047.png (160 KB, 388x410) Image search: [Google]
1420416889047.png
160 KB, 388x410
>>1074977
Okay so I do know a good deal about this but I can't give you a concrete answer.
To be honest, I suppose he did just "spam pikes" and used the same formation for nearly every battle, but the thing was that nobody in the ancient world had an answer to this.
The Macedonian phalanx was just that good.

As a general and tactican, yes he was brilliant, but he doesn't get enough credit for his logistics (well up until Gedrosia anyway) imo. Think of how difficult it would be to manoeuvre a ~40k strong army (plus camp followers and baggage train) all around the Middle East for years. Not to mention keeping them supplied and motivated.
Of course these last two points really answer themselves; the army was both supplied and motivated by pillage.
But to do that they needed to consistently win often. And the credit for that really goes to Phillip II's establishment of a silver-backed proffessional army with superior equipment (cornel wood lances) and training.

Basically the Macedonians were better equipped, trained, disciplined and supplied than any of their enemies except the Indians, who they were still able to beat because Alexander was just that based.
>>
>>1075016

As far as I'm aware pike formations couldn't exactly move very quickly, couldn't the Persians just have stayed back and rained arrows on them? Sorry if thats a dumb question.
>>
>>1075204
Not that guy, but one thing about pike formations is that arrows aren't as effective as you'd think. You know those rows of protruding pikes pointing up at increasing angles behind the first row? They serve to deflect incoming arrows.
>>
>>1075204
c a v a l r y
>>
>>1075204
Alexander's army was incredibly diverse for a typical Greek army.

Phillips introduction of light cavalry and light infantry gave it the maneuverability that was definitely lacking in the phalanx.

Also like other anon said the phalanx was pretty good at deflecting projectiles. I suppose thats what happens when you're waving a tree sized spear around heh heh
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.