[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is the Holy Roman Empire unique?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3
File: Holy Romans live here.png (3 MB, 2650x2160) Image search: [Google]
Holy Romans live here.png
3 MB, 2650x2160
This isn't a question of whether or not it was a good state, nor is it a thread for Voltaire memes. My question is, is the bizarre Confederate system the region had, with the complex borders, lack of unity, outside countries having borders that cross through its borders etc. unique in history. On sites like geocron, which show borders throughout history, HRE is the only state it feels the need to stick a blue border around and show internal borders.

If it's not unique, what's a good example of a state having a similarly complex internal governing situation?
>>
>Is the Holy Roman Empire unique?
I can tell you what it isn't.
>>
There's a reason why he said it wasn't an empire.
>>
File: trenchcoat.png (284 KB, 495x337) Image search: [Google]
trenchcoat.png
284 KB, 495x337
>mfw it wasn't holy
>mfw it wasn't Roman
>mfw it wasn't an Empire
>>
>My question is, is the bizarre Confederate system the region had, with the complex borders, lack of unity, outside countries having borders that cross through its borders etc. unique in history.

Africa today still looks like the HRE
>>
File: 4721.jpg (152 KB, 750x635) Image search: [Google]
4721.jpg
152 KB, 750x635
>>1070777

Here's an example, HRE: WE WUZ version
>>
>>1070777
but there was no semblance of a state in Africa. There was still a "Holy Roman Emperor" for the longest time.
>>
>>1070787
It was just a continuation of feudalism. Little vassals and supposedly a king over them. It wasnt anything special
>>
>>1070756
Voltaire's description was accurate when he was alive but not for its entire history.
>>
>>1070736
It's literally Feudalism. Look at pre-1500 France, the Plantagenets in Western France and Flanders and Artois in the Habsburgs before Francis I got rekt at Pavia.
>>
>>1070800
I guess the question can be rephrased as this then

Is there any other state, in the various feudal-like systems that appeared around the world, that had such feudal systems beyond a certain point?
>>
>>1070830
It lasted quite longer than the rest of the states in Europe as a feudal remnant, I think that can be said for certain.
>>
It's like the National Wrestling Alliance.
>>
>>1070833
That actually makes sense.
>>
>>1070736
Tokugawa Japan was a bit like that, though not to the same extent as the HRE.

http://www.geocurrents.info/geopolitics/mapping-early-modern-japan-as-a-multi-state-system
>>
>>1070736
Well, Kievan Rus was all kinds of a clusterfuck too but it was more of a tribal thing.
>>
>>1070850
Thanks mate, this was exactly the kind of stuff I was looking for.
>>
>>1070830
Now that I think about it, it actual had a bit in common with Sengoku-Jidai Japan.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.