[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hello, /his/. I've been having a thought that I can't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
Hello, /his/. I've been having a thought that I can't quite just put down, so I wanted to share it with you and ask what you think of it.

Suppose I have a device. This device is capable of taking an object, making a note of its qualities and quantities at the moment, and then later forcing the object in question back to that noted state. To visualize this, imagine a sink: it starts empty, you can fill it with all sorts of things, and then you can remove or drain those things to bring it back to how it was when you started.

Now, imagine this device is so good at its job, that it can make whatever its used on absolutely identical to what it was noted as, down to the atomic level; every last particle and sub-particle in its prior place. Pretty impressive, huh? Of course it doesn't just make something from nothing, you understand; it just puts what was removed from or added to the object back into their proper places.

Now imagine that this device can work on biological things as well. The little device is capable of putting everything that changed in your brain and body back to what it was when it started; all the subtle changes formed when memories were made, poof! Gone like they never happened.

Now imagine that this device can work on everything at once. Everything in creation is affected by it; even the universe itself is wrenched back down to its previous size. From the largest celestial body, to the smallest sub-atomic particle, put back into their noted places.

So my question to you it, with this miraculous device that can make everything as it was before, and make everything forget it happened in the first place:

Is this not, in effect, time travel?
>>
>>1067233
>Is this not, in effect, time travel?

No.

So much text for such easy question.
>>
>>1067250
Why not?
Everything is exactly as before, with no memories of anything happening. If someone were to prevent their memories from becoming tampered, would that not be the equivalent of traveling back through time?
>>
>>1067260
The effect is not produced by "traveling through time", but by atomic reshuffling, therefore it isn't "time travel".

It isn't that difficult to comprehend.
>>
>>1067283
I asked if it was "effectively" time travel. Would it not provide all the effects that "time travel" would?
>>
>>1067299

That depends on your view of time I suppose. Do you view time as a dimension or "the present"?
>>
>>1067322
I imagine time as a fabrication of the mind made to comprehend the concept of "sequence". It doesn't exist in the physical dimension.
>>
>>1067327

Well in that case I'd say yes indeed, it is functionally equivalent to time travelling.
>>
>>1067398
Neat.
>>
>>1067260
Why would you have no memories if everything was put back exactly how it was?
>>
>>1067432
because the parts of your brain that underwent subtle differences to retain the memories were reset.
>>
>>1067444
I suppose I don't understand your thought experiment then. Could you explain it in a different way?
>>
>>1067461
If you had a device that could reverse the effects of time on all things, would it be effectively time travel, since it does not actually affect the flow of time in any way?
>>
>>1067472
So you wanna know if time exists as anything outside of our perception of casuality.
I would say no. At least until they don't discover some crazy particle that gives the universe time or smth
>>
>>1067486
but gravity affects time. clocks in orbit move slightly faster than on earth
>>
>>1067533
That's just the physical effects on the measurement device, time itself is unchanged.
>>
>>1067533
Yeah, idk.
Are there any theories about some kind of yet undetected particles that might have these attributes.
Like the Higgs-field.
>>
>>1067283
Entropy is effectively reversed.
It's time travel.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.