[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hamilton Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 187
Thread images: 14
File: Hamilton_OGimage.jpg (1006 KB, 1200x630) Image search: [Google]
Hamilton_OGimage.jpg
1006 KB, 1200x630
"WE WUZ FOUNDING FATHERS AND SHEEIT" aside, what do you guys think of the hottest musical on Broadway and also parts of mainstream media?
>>
>>1066523
I don't.
>>
>>1066561
You don't what?
>>
>what do you guys think of the hottest musical on Broadway

Ew.
>>
>>1066523
I really like the show. I don't really like all the popularity it's received lately, but I think it's deserved because after all of these shit musicals that are adapted after movies, someone makes something very original, and they do a really good job at it.
>>
>>1066523
I'm in theatre n shit and I loved this musical when it came out but it's gotten too bloated and over-popular. Also Miranda's justification for rewriting the Founding Father's race is bullshit.
>>
>>1066523
I really like it. One of my friends even got me the book with all the lyrics and behind the scenes stuff.

I don't care about the diversity changes, it's not a retcon of history, it's a fucking adaptation. Although I think the symbolism of "representing america NOW" isn't relevant in a historical musical reenactment of a specific man's life.
I think Miranda could have just said "I think this Leslie Odom Jr. was best as Aaron Burr for his acting and singing skills" and it would have been fine. It's just pretentious and dumb to make it anything more than that.

Regardless, The Room Where It Happens is the best song and if you disagree I will fucking respect your opinion and continue the friendly discussion of this play.
>>
>actor here
Musical theater is the plague of theater. The PLAGUE. Musical actors are cool though, generally because they are more talented than other actors. With great talent generally comes a type of humility.
>>
>>1066703
>Hey guys, it's not a history textbook, it's representative of America today
>A large majority of our audience is from Tumblr, the site where the consensus is that white people appropriate other cultures because they have no culture of their own
>Meanwhile, here are some historically white figures rewritten to be non-white
>Hey, come out and audition for Hamilton... but only if you're not white
>Even though the character description for the lead, Alexander, literally calls him "Sweeney Todd meets Eminem"
>Even though we also have white people in the ensemble of the cast right now
>And they understudy the principal characters as well
>I also guess it doesn't help that I'm looking for non-white rappers even though I wrote some really white raps
>>
>>1066561
Well then you have extremely bad taste.

>>1066652
>being upset that Americans love an unapologetically patriotic musical about the founding of this great republic

Tory scum please leave.
>>
Who here wants to watch a bootleg of it? I actually have a couple available that I'd be willing to post if you guys request it.
>>
>>1066756
fuck yeah anon post it
>>
File: Hamilton 122915 Broadway.jpg (25 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
Hamilton 122915 Broadway.jpg
25 KB, 640x360
>>1066795

Hamilton
2015.07 - Previews | Broadway
Lin Manuel Miranda (Alexander Hamilton), Phillipa Soo (Eliza Hamilton), Leslie Odom Jr (Aaron Burr), Renee Elise Goldsberry (Angelica Schuyler), Christopher Jackson (George Washington), Daveed Diggs (Marquis de Lafayette/Thomas Jefferson), Okieriete Onaodowan (Hercules Mulligan/James Madison), Anthony Ramos (John Laurens/Philip Hamilton), Jasmine Cephas Jones (Peggy Schuyler/Maria Reynolds), Jonathan Groff (King George), Sydney James Harcourt (Philip Schuyler/James Reynolds/Doctor), Thayne Jasperson (Samuel Seabury), Jon Rua (Charles Lee), Ephraim Sykes (George Eacker)
https://mega.nz/#F!ekMlASpB!00u3sP0b5NbSL5GXvcw8Fw

Hamilton
2015.12.29 | Broadway
Lin Manuel Miranda (Alexander Hamilton), Phillipa Soo (Eliza Hamilton), Leslie Odom Jr (Aaron Burr), Renee Elise Goldsberry (Angelica Schuyler), Christopher Jackson (George Washington), Daveed Diggs (Marquis de Lafayette/Thomas Jefferson), Okieriete Onaodowan (Hercules Mulligan/James Madison), Anthony Ramos (John Laurens/Philip Hamilton), Jasmine Cephas Jones (Peggy Schuyler/Maria Reynolds), Jonathan Groff (King George), Sydney James Harcourt (Philip Schuyler/James Reynolds/Doctor), Daniel J Watts (t/r Samuel Seabury), Neil Haskell (Charles Lee), Ephraim Sykes (George Eacker), Gerald Avery, Carleigh Bettiol, Sasha Hutchings, Emmy Raver Lampman, Austin Smith, Betsy Struxness, Kamille Upshaw
https://mega.nz/#F!8tU2WLrY!Putbj9nmQiqAF7dwjffN_w - MP4
https://mega.nz/#F!vU1HRA5D!yBcbOYpETiGtXDg3tfTWDw - VOB
>>
>>1066523
"Right hand man" Is pretty bangin'
>>
>>1066813
WE ARE OUTGUNNED!
OUTMANNED!
OUT NUMBERED!
OUT PLANNED!
>>
>>1066819
WE GOTTA MAKE AN ALL-OUT STAND!
AYO, I'M GONNA NEED A RIGHT HAND MAN!
>>
>we wuz foudning father n shiet
Actually kind of neato.
>>
>>1066730
>not I Know Him
>>
>>1067485
>not Non-Stop
>>
I tried to listen to the soundtrack and got turned off by how fucking black the music sounds. I don't like hip-hop, I don't like this sound at all, I don't like that this musical has been used to brush Andrew Jackson under the rug for being racist while promoting worship of pro-national bank scum.
>>
>>1068112
>this musical
>used to brush andrew Jackson under the rug

Are you high?

>wahh the national bank is bad

I hope you enjoy having a highly unstable money supply in constant danger of going kaboom and causing a nasty recession. Because that's exactly what happens when you have no central bank.
>>
>>1066819
>>1066983
HERCULES
MULLIGAN
>>
>racists bitching about a musical

It's this kind of quality thread that keeps /his/ great
>>
>>1068112
>against a national bank
I know this is /his/ not /econ/ but come on man, jesus christ you can't be this woefully ignorant about economics. Andrew Jackson at least had the excuse of being alive before the development of modern econ theory but you don't.

Even champions of the free market like Hayek acknowledged the necessity of having a national bank.
>>
>>1068191
>Because that's exactly what happens when you have no central bank
You do realize it happens with the bank too, right?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panic_of_1819
Jackson had plenty of reason to hate the bank
>>
>>1068112
Was Jackson politically relevant at the time? I thought he only became famous after 1812.
>>
>>1068104
>Not that one meme song
>>
Can't find tickets.
>>
>>1066802
thanks m8!
>>
>>1069574
>implying there are non-meme songs
It's broadway
>>
File: gilbert-and-sullivan-1378135665.jpg (101 KB, 640x534) Image search: [Google]
gilbert-and-sullivan-1378135665.jpg
101 KB, 640x534
It's shit.
>>
>>1069407
>the bank fucked up one time
>it was an easy mistake to fix permanently
>so let's get rid of it and let the economy crash a whole shitload more because the bank won't be able to stop the other banks from engaging in exactly the same activity that caused the panic in the first place

Wow, 10/10 logic.
>>
>>1069955
You do realize most of the founding fathers were complete autists right?
>>
>>1068987
>Even champions of the free market like Hayek acknowledged the necessity of having a national bank.
I'm not a champion of the free market, I'm saying the national bank as it was instituted was shit. So is the Federal Reserve.
>>1069571
I don't know when this shit blackwashed musical is set.
>>
>>1069998
>I don't even know a damn thing about macroeconomics, this musical, or monetary policy, but Imma post anyway

Has summer come early? Or are you just as arrogant as you are ignorant?
>>
Pandering to 12% of the population who won't watch your production is stupid IMO.

Mediocre otherwise. We could use more media on the Founders, but preferably without the bigotry of this one.
>>
>>1066523

WE WUZ-tier garbage
>>
>>1070078
>wahh Miranda made an artistic choice I don't like: the post
>>
File: 1462058126814.jpg (56 KB, 420x300) Image search: [Google]
1462058126814.jpg
56 KB, 420x300
>>1070037
>summer
This phenomenon is a myth.
How about you explain to me why the national bank was a great thing?
>>
>>1070087
What's your point?
Who's Miranda?
>>
>>1070087
You're free to have your own opinions. If you like it, that's fine.
>>
>>1070091
That your dislike of the show isn't based on the quality, the themes, or really anything other than the fact that the cast isn't full of white people. Which is just as silly as hating a musical because the cast is all-white.
>>
>>1070111
1. I'm not that poster.
2. Is it now racist not to enjoy a soundtrack?
3. Who cares why people don't like musicals?
>>
>>1070115
>Is it now racist not to enjoy a soundtrack?
No, but that wasn't his objection.

He only really cared about:
>Pandering to 12% of the population who won't watch your production is stupid IMO
and
>but preferably without the bigotry of this one

He didn't express any specific opinion on the musical composition, writing, or really anything else besides the choice made to cast mostly non-white actors and actresses.
>>
>>1070141
>besides the choice made to cast mostly non-white actors and actresses.
Why should that be uncontroversial?
>>
>>1070088
Easy. What the national banks does:
1) Promote a stable currency
2) Regulate the issuance of credit by other banks
3) Prevent those banks from tanking the economy by issuing tons of paper money without any good reason, which was very profitable for the banks but created a tragedy of the commons when they all did it.

If you think those things aren't vital to the health of the economy, then I question whether you've ever read a single book about macroeconomics in your entire life.
>>
>>1070147
>>1070147
Because plenty of Broadway shows cast mostly white actors and actresses and nobody really gives a damn.
>>
>>1068412
>racist
Nice buzzword. Shitskins throw a fit when they feel their culture is being appropriated (despite the fact they literally have no culture of their own that isn't terrible, and try claiming other peoples' cultures all the time). And yet when the shitskins pull this stunt, nobody cares. Fuck off, cuck.
>>
>>1070172
Most people who listen to Broadway music are white. This is pandering to 12% of the public that doesn't care about musical theater in the first place.
I mean, it's even obvious. It's how marketing works. Broadway needs to expand its appeal to survive in a world with fewer white people.
>>1070170
>I question whether you've ever read a single book about macroeconomics in your entire life.
I haven't. I was being hyperbolic in my initial post, anyway, autist.
>>
>>1070183
>he thinks a MacArthur foundation certified genius's casting choices are based off of muh pandering

Are you merely pretending again?
>>
>>1070237
Are you denying the importance of marketing?
>>
Communist propaganda.
>>
>>1066731
>Musical theater is the plague of theater. The PLAGUE.
I do community theater and I only ever do musicals. It's fun, but I enjoy the sense of community I have with the rest of the cast more than I enjoy the music, and way more than I enjoy watching musicals.
People who don't do theater but love musical theater are a serious problem.
>>
Is anyone else listening to the Lyric Opera Chicago audio broadcast of The King and I right now? Kate Baldwin is fantastic as Anna.

http://www.wfmt.com/wp-content/themes/wfmt/live-stream.php

Also it has the prince from the Brandy TV film version of Cinderella as the king, so there's that.
>>
IT MUST BE NICE
>>
>>1066523
ive heard nothing but good things about it and i would love to see it live, but i know a few college tumblr people who are obsessed with it and call it the greatest musical production ever and listen to nothing else so im sick of it already
>>
>>1072839
I'm a theatrefag and I got put off from for a while, but it ended up being a 6.5/10 musical which is good in my book. The fanbase is the worst thing about it definitely.
>>
>>1072741
southern mothaFUCKING DEMOCRATIC REPUBLICANS
>>
>>1066523
>WE WUZ FOUNDING FATHERS AND SHEEIT
When did anyone say this?
Why are white people so fucking insecure about this sort of shit? Jesus christ, get a fucking grip.
>>
>>1072856
About a fifth or fourth of /his/ comes from /pol/ and they're very attuned to wewuz shitposting
>>
>>1072856
OP here. I'm Filipino
>>
>>1072870
Just as attuned as the fifth of this board from /lit/
>>
>>1072870
m8, both /int/ and /lit/ we wuz post. By now, it's just general culture.
>>
>>1072930
>>1072979
/lit/ and /int/ don't spam facebook posts and twitter posts made by dumb afrocentrists on their boards though
>>
>>1072988
>/int/
They do it all the time. I've seen it a few times on /lit/ too, book related ofc
>>
>>1072988
Yes they do
They also spam politically motivated garbage into apolitical threads because
1) They can't distinguish between politics and the discussion of history, or are unwilling to acknowledge that distinction
2) When they acknowledge it, they refuse to discuss theories detachedly and instead insist that the consequences of any theory for revolutionary practice are more important than the truth of the theory.
3) They refuse to post on /pol/ because people there disagree with them, or because they're trying to convert others to their ideology
4) They're just fucking dumb, just like most of /pol/

Stop pretending the left is substantially different from the right in terms of anything other than the policies they advocate
/lit/, /int/, /leftypol/, it's all the same stupid hivemind. Make political threads on the politics board.
>>
>>1072870
>About a fifth or fourth of /his/ comes from /pol/

more like a 3rd desu
>>
>>1073018
t. /pol/
>>
>>1073042
What an incredibly useless post. You've contributed nothing at all to this discussion. As I say, if you want to discuss politics, you should post on /pol/. That's what I do. I'm not even a Trumpfag or a fascist, I'm a classical liberal.
>>
>>1068412
nice buzzword
>>
>>1069955
>one time
>fed gets created to stabilize economy after free banking era
>economy has the biggest crash in national history within 15 years
>>
Eh. I don't like how they demonize Thomas Jefferson because of "le slaves!!1!". The whole thing with not casting white actors is dumb too. Cast minority actors, sure, but completely omitting white people from the American Revolution is retarded.
>>
Really enjoyed it actually. Yes we all know the founders weren't black, but I think it's a decent way to get more people interested in history and the founding. It's also basically accurate and the music is very catchy.

9/10, would watch a lot
>>
>>1073157
They just want you to know what racism feels like anon.
>>
>>1066523
I think it's relevance is way overstated, this play has had about 0 cultural impact in our society. The only impact it's had was getting a few people butthurt.
whocares.jpg there are a lot more important things going on in this world than some sjw faggots trying to rustle jimmies
>>
Honestly I don't mid racechanging in theatre, it's all about the actor themself, unlike fil which has an interest in realism.
>>
>>1073184
I'm mixed race, my melanin enriched compatriot. Getting called shit in middle school was enough.
>>
>>1073303
Where the fuck did you go to school that such behavior was allowed? In the glorious far left utopia of Massachusetts openly bullying a kid by hurling racial slurs would get you suspended or expelled.
>>
>>1073242
>it has like no cultural impact at all
>that's why there are celebreties and government officials at nearly every showing
>and why the President went to see it
>and why the album is selling like hotcakes

Yeah, keep telling yourself that.
>>
>>1066731
>>1070288
What's so bad about musical theatre/musical theatre people specifically?
>>
>>1073407
Theatrefag here. They're fucking preps who are so overly fruity. They think real life is as over-the-top as the shows that they watch and are outright annoying.
>>
>>1073157
It's unfair that Washington doesn't get heat for his slave use in the play and also the only off-putting thing about them being played by black people. But it goes to show how smart Washinton was about freeing his slaves to solidify his image in the future.
>>
>>1066523
Perfect storm of mass appeal.
Worthless drivel as a work of art in any objective or lasting sense.
>>
>>1073390
The president saw Our American Cousin, too.
>>
>>1073379
The FAR FAR FAR left utopia of San Francisco.
>>
>>1073157
>Cast minority actors, sure, but completely omitting white people from the American Revolution is retarded.
>completely omitting white people from the American Revolution

It's a good thing that there are white people in the cast then, isn't it?
>>
>>1073543
I meant from major roles.
>>
>>1073551
>king
>not major
>>
>>1073242
>I think it's relevance is way overstated, this play has had about 0 cultural impact in our society.

well

>homes in areas where Alexander Hamilton lived have spiked in real estate value due to people flocking to those parts of NYC
>various Alexander Hamiilton exhibitions, just about ignored before the musical camp out, were so swamped swamped they required extra security and extensions
>creator is winning just about every kind of award, named one of the most influential people of the year
>massive popularity of the musical made them reverse the decision to remove Hamilton from the $10
>literal school programs are being created around the concept of teaching kids about the American Revolution, as well as Hamilton the musical, then having them attend the show (on massively cheap tickets, subsidized by the show's producers) and write about the inaccuracies and various changes made for the theatrical show
>multiple productions opening with open casting calls aimed at cultivating talent who aren't normally part of the theatrical community (aka encouraging people with no theater experience to audition)

and that's just off the top of my head
>>
>>1073551
George III is a major role. Multiple major roles have white understudies.
>>
So this thread got me to download the soundtrack and it's bretty good.
>>
>>1073571
make sure to watch
>>1066802
>>
>>1072839
same anon. Alexander Hamilton was the greatest of the founding fathers imo but people I hate love it so much I don't even want to watch it.
>>
>>1073581
see for yourself
>>1066802
>>
>>1073581
Are you guys hipsters or something
>i cant like it because someone else likes it and its so pleb and mainstream and my tastes are so much better
Are you refusing to watch Force Awakens because normals saw it?
>>
>>1073502
Which was arguably the most impactful play ever performed in US history, although the reason for that impact has nothing to do with the content of the play itself.
>>
>>1073587
It's not because it's mainstream, if it was something that normies liked, I probably would watch it for the hype; but it's these "theater people" who I fucking can't stand that never shut up about it.
>>
>>1073658
Boo hoo
>>
>>1066730

>Room Where it Happens

>Not Wait For It

pleb taste anon
>>
>>1073682
>Not the Reynolds Pamphlet

You're never gonna be president, anon.
>>
>>1073564
What there is cultural? Most of that can be explained by market trends.
>>1073390
This is not an argument.
>>
>>1074519
That's not how you disprove an argument. If your next post is "but it isn't" instead of a real refutation don't bother replying
>>
>>1075140
What do I have to disprove? The claim is that it's had a major cultural impact. The proof is supposed to be that celebrities and the President have seen it and that the price of Alexander Hamilton's old properties has gone up. I don't understand how this is indicative of having a significant impact on wider cultural trends.
>>
>>1073390
>>1073564
I haven't heard the songs from this musical or seen a single reference from it anywhere ever. This equals 0 cultural impact you faggots, it's a lame play made by a nobody that we're all going to forget about in 5 years
>>
File: 1462057567691.png (429 KB, 399x614) Image search: [Google]
1462057567691.png
429 KB, 399x614
>>1075140
>That's not how you disprove an argument
Because no argument has been made, chap
>>
>>1075148
>someone lists impact on culture
>b-b-b-but it didn't have any

Great response Chap LMAO
>>
>>1075908
How are those impacts on culture?
>>
>>1075162
You're a retard, congratulations.

>A show so popular that it literally caused a government decision to be reversed has no cultural impact cuz I haven't heard it on da radio!!!!!
>>
Do you think Leslie & Lin will both get nominated for the Tony?
>>
Personal favorite
https://youtu.be/fdxLohjwhoQ
Also guns and ships is good as well
>>
>>1075974
>implying that it did
>implying that people didn't want them to remove jackson anyways
>>
>>1077796
>he thinks that's what anon is referring to

Hamilton was going to be bumped from the 10 before the musical came out.
>>
>>1066523
>American """""culture"""""
>>
>>1077838
no one is saying that it wasn't? The point was that this literal who play written by another literal who for shock factor has had and will have 0 culture impact on society. It didn't reverse the $10 bill decision since people were already asking for it to be jackson who got booted before this play had even seen opening night
>>
>>1077878
>Lin Manuel Miranda, a MacArthur fellow who can basically retire at 36 off a tony-winning musical he wrote in college and a second one he wrote after reading a biography, is a literally who

Maybe it has zero cultural impact on uncultured swine like you, but amongst people who didn't drop out of high school to live in a trailer park drinking pabst blue ribbon it's made quite a splash.
>>
File: 1462058042146.jpg (103 KB, 728x843) Image search: [Google]
1462058042146.jpg
103 KB, 728x843
>>1078039
I don't know what a MacArthur fellowship is supposed to indicate. I'm not sure why being able to retire at an early age makes somebody culturally influential. It seems like that just means they've produced a succesful product.
Can you show me works of art that reference Hamilton and which are considered to be great, or to have enormous mass appeal? You aren't making new arguments, you keep referring to financial success as if it IS cultural influence.
>hurr u have different aesthetic tastes than I do so ur swine
That isn't an argument. You seem mad.
>>
File: Away_With_Private_Peasants!.jpg (183 KB, 723x525) Image search: [Google]
Away_With_Private_Peasants!.jpg
183 KB, 723x525
>>1072856
Perhaps because being depicted as fucking kulaks were depicted during the 1930s in the Soviet Union create this sort of insecurity.
>>
>>1066523
>"WE WUZ FOUNDING FATHERS AND SHEEIT" aside
What the fuck is this meme anymore? Do the people who use it even know how it works?
>>
>>1077878
>it didn't reverse the $10 bill decision

Yes, it did.

>since people were already asking for it to be jackson who got booted before this play had even seen opening night

People were asking for it to be Jackson BEFORE it was announced that they were going to remove Hamilton from the bill. Removing Hamilton was the compromise, since if they removed Jackson they would be giving into demands. Then the musical premiered, and now months later (and after multiple interviews with politicians which bring up the musicals' popularity and the decision to take him off the $10 bill) and AFTER the show has premiered, they have given in to removing Jackson.
>>
>>1078056
>implying all people are talking about is financial success
>political, cultural and social changes don't make it culturally impactful

how often were you dropped on your head as a child
>>
>>1078112
>>implying all people are talking about is financial success
What else have you talked about? Oh,
>political, cultural and social changes
Politics isn't culture, you have yet to point out a political event that occurred because of this play, you're arguing that it's caused cultural changes so you can't use them as an example to prove your point, I'm entirely unaware of any social change that this show has brought about other than media attention, which is not social change.
>don't make it culturally impactful
Make a better argument, please.
>how often were you dropped on your head as a child
Why didn't you capitalize the first letter of this sentence or use a question mark at the end? What happened to your brain?
>>
>>1078039
>some pretentious faggots said something another prentious faggot said is good
>citing money as cultural influence
it's like you're not even trying to argue, stay mad faggot
>>
>>1078140
>a certified genius is a pretentious faggot

White trash, everybody.

>>1078056
>I don't know what a MacArthur fellowship is supposed to indicate
Are you serious? They give grants to certified geniuses for being certified geniuses, so that said geniuses can pursue pet projects free of the need for financial backers.
>>
>>1078254
So being acknowledged as a genius and given a grant automatically makes you culturally influential? I thought it just made you a certified genius with a grant. Maybe the author has influenced culture with the show, but has the show influenced other shows, or Broadway in general, or culture in general? I think you're grasping at straws.
>White trash, everybody
What makes you better than him, anon? The fact that you enjoyed this musical?
>>
>>1078135
>political decisions aren't part of culture

stopped reading there. Please leave /his/ and don't come back until you understand what culture is. Bye!
>>
>>1078463
>>political decisions aren't part of culture
They're related to it. That doesn't mean you can point to them and say 'SEE? CULTURE!' It's just a non sequitur 99% of the time.
>Please leave /his/ and don't come back until you understand what culture is. Bye!
How about you explain it to me? That way we can reach a mutual understanding. Or are you more interested in masturbating to showtunes than in actually having a constructive debate?
>>
>>1078264
Wait, you thought this was still an argument? I gave up arguing when you dismissed the relevance of the fact that many important cultural figures, along with millions upon millions of other citizens had seen it. After that I decided it would be much more productive and fun to just insult you.
>>
File: r2vuaCO.jpg (51 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
r2vuaCO.jpg
51 KB, 640x480
>>1078522
I never saw you make an argument, I don't know how it could still be one. You have a very broad understanding of what "cultural influence" is. I never denied that it was popular, or that it had made money, or that politicians had seen it. You haven't shown that it's exerted political influence, though. Is cultural influence the same as popularity?
>>
So when I took APUSH in high school, I remember thinking Hamilton was a total asshole/villain character of the period, and I felt bad for Burr. But the play paints Hamilton as the hero, Burr as the jealous asshole who kills him out of jealousy. What was it actually like /his/?
>>
>>1078542
Your teacher was shit. Hamilton's plan was perfect. Did you learn about the time Burr was tried for treason for trying to turn New Orleans into a sovereign country?
>>
>>1078643
I mean...I don't remember, it was 4 years ago. I just remember Hamilton being scummy. But I loved Andrew Jackson so maybe my views were skewed
>>
>>1078475
People already explained it to you. Your only response was "omg even though you listed all these reasons why it has cultural impact, NONE OF THOSE COUNT CUZ... uhhh... uhhhhh.. political decisions have no cultural impact!!! And pretentiousness!"

Again: Byeeeeee.
>>
>>1078679
>loved Jackson

I mean he said some fun stuff and ended the nullification crisis well, but everything else he did as president was meh-terrible. Hamilton wasn't scummy, but John and Abigail Adams slandered him after his death because they were buttmad he rekted John.
>>
File: 1389223905002.jpg (21 KB, 319x280) Image search: [Google]
1389223905002.jpg
21 KB, 319x280
>>1079056
>meh-terrible
>>
>>1079104
>caused the recession of 1837
>got Martin Van Shithead into office
>failed to enforce a landmark Supreme Court ruling

Yeah. Meh-to shit. Oh wait, the treasury department is pretty ok, so I'll give him that one.
>>
File: 1461723496399.png (257 KB, 415x476) Image search: [Google]
1461723496399.png
257 KB, 415x476
>>1079006
You're even more retarded than I thought
I've got no respect for retards who think everything is culture because they can't distinguish between culture and other aspects of existence.
See >>1078538
>>
not really interested in paying money to watch Black Lives Matter hip-hop LARP my own history for me. If it's sufficiently retarded to actually be probable causation for Americans to actually know something about history then I guess good for it.

call me /pol/, I don't give a shit.
>>
>>1066752
>Tory scum
wait, did the musical paint Hamilton in a good light or bad one?
Hamilton was the toriest tory that ever toried this side of the Atlantic
>>
>>1080633
>fought in the revolution
>tory

Pick one and only one.
>>
>>1073684
>Not 'Your Obedient Servant'

You're gonna bleed anon.
>>
>>1080368
>political decisions are not culture

lolololololol
>>
http://www.tonyawards.com/en_US/nominees/

16 Nominations, a record.

The Best Featured Actor list is hilarious.
>>
File: 1461978568004.png (714 KB, 500x749) Image search: [Google]
1461978568004.png
714 KB, 500x749
>>1080854
Can you make an argument in which you explain why they should be considered to be "culture?"
>>
>>1078538
>even though it's really popular that doesn't make it culturally influential

I keked.
>>
>>1080869
Political decisions have a cultural impact, and are often inherently related to culture, numbnuts. Or do you think culture is some vacuum? Well, considering your massive retardation, you probably do!
>>
>>1080858
>16 Nominations
holy fuck
>>
Okay, I finished listening to the soundtrack. My favorite songs: Alexander Hamilton, You'll be Back, Right Hand Man, Wait for It, and both of the cabinet battles.

Really, the whole thing is great though.
>>
>>1070180
Racist isn't a buzzword, fuckwit. But "cuck" absolutely is.
>>
>>1084206
This is literally revisionism
>>
>>1082932
That's not an argument.
>>
File: horror.jpg (21 KB, 220x221) Image search: [Google]
horror.jpg
21 KB, 220x221
>>1066523
I don't understand the praise it gets. It's embarrassing and beats Kanye's 'bleached asshole' line in terms of cringe.
>>
>If you liked having Kendrick Lamar's music shoved in your earholes, you'll love this!
>>
>>1084312
He's right though. You have /pol/ calling Bernie a cuck even though the Democratic frontrunner is LITERALLY a cuck herself.
>>
>>1085562
The claim is that "Racist isn't a buzzword..."cuck" absolutely is." Not true. Cuck is a much older, much more visceral word than "racist." Racist is a modern word, it's been abused to the point that acknowledging hereditary differences between populations with differently distributed genes is "racist" and offensive. In this context it's literally being used as a buzzword. "Cuck," meanwhile, is an ages-old word that implies that somebody is raising a child who is not his own, and is unaware of this fact. I think most people throughout history would rather be racists than be cuckolds. Racist is a buzzword.

Stop confusing rhetoric and dialectic, these insults aren't meant to make sense, any more than "Kulak" was. They're supposed to sway opinion. You look like an idiot.
>>
>>1085579
>"Cuck," meanwhile, is an ages-old word that implies that somebody is raising a child who is not his own, and is unaware of this fact.

oh my god, /pol/'s definition of cuck is not the actual definition of cuck, are you being serious?
>>
>>1085650
I don't understand your point.
>>
>>1084314
You've already gotten arguments, aND your only response to them is: "NUH UHHH!" You deserve nothing more.
>>
>>1085926
My response has actually been a request for arguments, every single time. You're simply making assertions. I'm claiming that there are differences between political influence and cultural influence; you've claimed this show has a lot of the latter, I'm claiming it is primarily the former. You have yet to point to a work of culture that was directly influenced by the sensibilities of Hamilton. You have only called everyone who disagrees with you uncultured. You have not offered a definition of culture. You are the worst kind of Broadway fan.
>>
Alexander Hamilton was a piece of shit who doesn't deserve a musical.
>>
>>1070170
It also ensures that we as a nation are addicted to the toxic drug known as usury.
>>
Contemporary American musical theater is the lowest form of art, on par with video games and movie novelizations.
>>
>>1085969
> I'm claiming that there are differences between political influence and cultural influence

No. You claimed that political decisions are not part of cultural impact, and they are. That's a fact, not a claim or an argument.

>You have yet to point to a work of culture that was directly influenced by the sensibilities of Hamilton.

That's not what cultural impact means. Cultural impact is not just "WORKS OF CULTURAL INFLUENCED BY HAMILTON." Cultural impact includes all of culture, which political decisions are inherently part of. You shouldn't have to have common sense things explained to you on this board.

For example.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cultural_impact_of_Star_Wars

Gasp!! There are subheadings for financial and political things! oh my god!!
>>
>>1086261
>That's a fact, not a claim or an argument.
It very well may be true, but what you've stated is not a fact; it's a proposition, which, when incorporated into an argument, ought to be a conclusion. You are, in fact, merely asserting.
> Anonymous 05/04/16(Wed)12:46:03 No.1086261▶

>>1085969 (You)
> I'm claiming that there are differences between political influence and cultural influence

No. You claimed that political decisions are not part of cultural impact, and they are. That's a fact, not a claim or an argument.

>You have yet to point to a work of culture that was directly influenced by the sensibilities of Hamilton.

>That's not what cultural impact means. Cultural impact is not just "WORKS OF CULTURAL INFLUENCED BY HAMILTON."
Can you at least point to a work that's been influenced by Hamilton? Or maybe a political decision? You've been talking about its political influence but I genuinely don't understand what this influence has been, and you refuse to provide a concrete example
>Cultural impact includes all of culture, which political decisions are inherently part of. You shouldn't have to have common sense things explained to you on this board.
But this isn't common sense at all, people have spilled a lot of ink trying to figure out what is and isn't culture. I want you to present an argument.
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cultural_impact_of_Star_Wars
>Gasp!! There are subheadings for financial and political things! oh my god!!
If you'd posted a link to an article cited by the authors of this Wikipedia page claiming that finance and politics ought to be considered under the heading of "culture," that would be one thing. Instead, you're making a banal assertion about the universality of culture and expecting me to just agree with you. I don't even reject the claim that politics, culture, and finance are linked. I'm objecting to your privileging culture over the other terms.
>>
>>1085991
>>1085999
Why are there so many economic illiterates on this board?
>>
>>1068112
Bloody, Bloody Andrew Jackson came out years before Hamilton
>>
>>1088074
Did it have this much hype?
>>
>>1085546
lol what this is about as far from Kendrick as you can get while still being technically maybe the same genre

people who like Kendrick are not this musical's target demographic
>>
>>1073543
Yeah only as the villains.
>>
>>1073563
He's in only one full length song, and two other ones both under a minute. He literally serves no purpose in the musical besides "oh remember that guy?"
>>
>>1088093
But white people are very much the target demographic of this musical.
>>
>>1088090
It did in musical theatre society only due to it having a rock/emo sound. But mainstream society like Hamilton, no.
>>
>>1088035
>Or maybe a political decision?

Someone already posted about that. Are you mentally challenged?

I already know the answer, but I thought it'd be polite to ask.
>>
>>1088094
Nope. There are white actors in the ensemble who play protagonists, as well as white actors who understudy for main roles that aren't villains.
>>
>>1088135
>Someone already posted about that
Someone posted about politicians seeing it. I don't know what political decisions have been made because of this play. Are you saying Harriet Tubman is going on the $20 primarily because of this show?
>>
>>1066523
I haven't seen it, but wouldn't mind if I did at some point

I liked the music and enjoy musical theater. If you're looking for historical accuracy then go read a book.
>>
>>1073407
I used to act and direct in high school, and worked tech for the musicals.

I think standard drama has a lot more depth, regardless of whether it's comedic or tragic. Musical theater basically has barebones literary value and almost always are feels > reals

Plus musical theaterlings have no respect for techies. Only opera singers are worse, so I've heard
>>
>>1088863
>Plus musical theaterlings have no respect for techies

>techie
>respect

pick one
>>
>>1088867
>Not respecting your techies
Holy fucking shit Anon, do you want your mic to turn off when you're onstage and turn on when you're farting loudly while swearing at your castmates backstage? I mean, yeah, techies don't deserve respect because they'll do things like that to you on purpose, but that's why you have to respect them.
>>
>>1088867
Nail on the head
>>
>>1088877
I'm joking, techie. This is why no one respects you.
>>
>>1072856
>Why are white people so fucking insecure about this sort of shit
Because it's blatnat racisim. If a white person tried to make a musical about the civil rights movement but replaced all minorities with whites and whites with minorties it would get panned, shut down and it is very likely the people involved would get death threats.
But when it's the other way around, nobody gives a shit. Which is wrong.
>>
>>1066523
It's a fun treatment of the drama of early America, but personally I can't stand Alexander Hamilton and I'm glad he didn't play a bigger role in history.
>>
>>1088998
Joke's on you, I've never done tech
>>
>>1091501
>nobody gives a shit
Worse, it's getting enormous amounts of press, and you can't say you don't like it without being called an uncultured bigot.
>>
>>1091808
Yep. What's worse is the people who defend it one the grounds that "the white man needs to feel how bad racism is too.", a completely undefendable position.
Just once I'd like one of the people who supports this to explain to me what moral, philosophical, theological or any such system justifies that, so I could at least read the "well-written" papers and essays that try to justify this. If someone is going to act stupid, I'd at least like to know why they act in that way
>>
>>1091501
Which one is the status quo?
>>
File: gunboats.png (820 KB, 848x429) Image search: [Google]
gunboats.png
820 KB, 848x429
>>1066523
>I GO TO FRANCE FOR MORE FUNDS
>I COME BACK WITH MORE GUNS
>and boats
>(gunboats)
Thread replies: 187
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.