[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What were the main factors which facilitated the spread of Protestantism
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: 1449872174270.jpg (51 KB, 394x379) Image search: [Google]
1449872174270.jpg
51 KB, 394x379
What were the main factors which facilitated the spread of Protestantism during the reformation, and why didn't it convert all Catholic nations?
>>
>>1058248
I think the printing press had something to do with it. When the laity had access to the Bible, there was some outrage at the priests and they formed their own interpretations.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
>>
>>1058248
nobles being greedy and turning to protestantism and as always the people just follow what their leaders believe in.
>>
>>1058294
>nobles being greedy and turning to protestantism and as always the people just follow what their leaders believe in.
This.

>Nobles and burgeois wanted to fuck off the Church from their wallets
>Become heretical
>Cuius religio, eius religio

TA DAH!
>>
>>1058294

Nobles might have been greedy, but fuck the church.
>>
>>1058248
1) greedy nobles
2) people being fed up with the church demanding money all the time/fed up with (at least percieved) corruption like indulgences
3) translation of the Bible into vernacular languages
4) the printing press which allowed greater distribution of the bible.

>why didn't it convert all Catholic nations?
Because the various Protestant sects didn't win every war they had to fight in order to change countries' laws so that protestantism would be recognized as a non-capital offense.
>>
>>1058330
back then yes, when they were meddling with everybody's business.
>>
>>1058349
>3) translation of the Bible into vernacular languages
Oh yeah, this too >>1058271
>>
>>1058349
>3) translation of the Bible into vernacular languages
>>1058397
>Oh yeah, this too

Bible was translated before the Reformation. Go educate yourselves.
>>
>>1058349
>Because the various Protestant sects didn't win every war they had to fight in order to change countries' laws so that protestantism would be recognized as a non-capital offense.

as someone whose focus is on the archaeology of the New World, I frequently read Spanish texts about early colonial episodes, and it seems to me that another potential factor (and I say this in humility because i feel like you probably are more aware of what was going on on the continent than i was and i'm interested in your input) at least in Spain was that the Catholic worldview seemed to be affirmed and reaffirmed by the countless victories their God brought them in their endeavors in the Americas, kinda like how you're probably not gonna convince Jews who were around in 1948 and 1967 that Hashem didn't have their back in Israel.
>>
>>1058248

The HRE at the time was on the brink of peasant rebellion every 5 fucking seconds. This allowed mad-men (shitheads like Muentzer) to stir up the violent anabaptist movements and basically make the 16th century equivalent of violent communist pentecostal terrorists.

Germanic peoples have always had a notion of sacral kingship -- i.e. the king is high priest too. See the investiture controversy. Protestantism allowed this to return.

Indulgence sales were an actual issue back then. As were sinful popes and priests. Confidence in the church was low among laity, and the church itself in that period really wasn't worth dick to begin with.

Printing allowed what would have amounted to scholarly debate (the 95 theses) to spread among the laity far more rapidly than it should have.

Basically, the time was ripe for it, and so, it happened.

Because protestantism is a specifically germanic mode of thinking about christianity. At it's core is the reinstatement of the institution of germanic sacral kingship. What appeal does this have to Mediterraneans?
>>
>>1058248
1. "Spread" is the wrong word. Catholics and Protestants follow the same religion; the difference is in the rules they abide by. So, it's not like a new religion spreading

2. Nor is it an idea. Papal and Priestly authority have always been challenged, even before Martin Luther.

3. As someone said earlier, the printing press helped. Catholics require their readings to be in Latin, which leads us to the next point

4. Nationalism. England got their hands on the printing press and begin printing the Bible in English, not Latin.

5. Germanic nationalism

6. As someone said earlier, it was political as well. Some princes didn't want to give up their power, and vice versa

7. All of this happened in about a 500 year time span

England:
>went through several bloody civil wars lasting from around 1500s-1700s

France:
>Called the Hugenots, lots of bloody civil wars

Germany:
>lots of bloody wars, Protestanism became a form of nationalism
>>
>>1058424
>Bible was translated before the Reformation.
yeah, into shit translations. the first gothic translation of the bible omitted kings because they had an agenda of getting them to be less warlike
>>
Reminder that all the silver knights in ds1 where black hollows
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.