[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is Philip Dwyer's biography the number 1 book on Napoleon?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
File: 1446456621874.jpg (422 KB, 617x798) Image search: [Google]
1446456621874.jpg
422 KB, 617x798
Is Philip Dwyer's biography the number 1 book on Napoleon?
>>
really? none are better?
>>
The consensus seems to be that Chandler's is the best one by far.
I haven't gotten a chance to go through it yet, but it gets a lot of praise here and elsewhere.
>>
>>1054604
Also don't be shitty and be patient. This isn't /b/ we don't have millions of posters on every second of the day.
>>
>>1054355
I haven't read it yet, but Andrew Robert's Napoleon: A Life is apparently up there.
>>
File: 8caeb50a742d.jpg (829 KB, 2811x1920) Image search: [Google]
8caeb50a742d.jpg
829 KB, 2811x1920
Michael Broers new bio is good.
Georges Lefebvre old bio is great.
A new French bio "Bonaparte" by Patrice Gueniffey is excellent.
>>
what's so good about dwyer's bio?
>>
>>1055112
Well he's me mate. Dwyer is a modern historian who reasonably applies psycho history to an individual subject we are justly interested in.
>>
>>1054355

Will Durant's ''The Age of Napeon'' from his Story of Civilisation collection is one of the greatest english book about him. Not only him but the entire 1789 - 1815 period.
But, Taine's ''Les Origines de la France contemporaine, V'' is really great too. There must be a lot of english translations.

Some contemporary french authors wrote about him too, such as Stendhal in his ''Life of Napoleon'' and Chateaubriand in ''About Buonaparte and the Bourbons.
>>
>>1056321

The more contemporary it is, the purest it becomes
>>
>>1054355
Chandler's is the best.
>>
>>1055181
what does that even mean man
>>
>>1054355
Napoleon: A Life by Andrew Roberts is the best, and most up to date.
>>
>>1056321
Fuck off idiot.
>>
>>1057057
have you read any others or are you just standing by this one because you dont want to feel like you wasted your money?
>>
>>1058565
For the military side go with Chandler. Roberts is the best overall unless you want a synography.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.