[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What would the Middle Ages have been like if the Roman Empire
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3
What would the Middle Ages have been like if the Roman Empire had still existed? Would the Ottoman Empire and Arab Caliphates have expanded as far as they did? Would the Romans have led a crusade?

inb4 hurr but the Greek speaking Orthodox Byzantine Empire wuz Romans durr!
>>
>>1051057
I dunno
>>
>>1051057
Byzantines.

/thread,
>>
>>1051057
You mean what would have changed if a major european event didn't happened and predict the changes on a scale of a millenia ?
I think we would have been in space, besides, the Roman Empire continued to exist.
>>
>>1051091
Byzantine was a worthless repertory of declamation and miracles, disgraceful to the human mind
>>
>>1051057
Presumably nothing would change as the Roman Empire didn't fall until 1453.
>>
>>1051091
>Spoke Greek, not Latin
>Orthodox, not Catholic

The Eastern """"""Roman""""" Empire was as truly Roman as the """""Holy""""" """""Roman""""" """""Empire""""" was.
>>
>>1051107
>>1051115
I know it's a bait thread an everything, but no angel descended from the heavens handing the Eastern Roman Empire a note saying "You aren't Romans anymore."
>>
File: holy.png (11 KB, 129x36) Image search: [Google]
holy.png
11 KB, 129x36
>>1051135
Eastern Greek Empire is not as pathetic as Barbaric German Confederation but it is arguably even more ridiculous.
>>
File: byzantine infantry.png (260 KB, 354x567) Image search: [Google]
byzantine infantry.png
260 KB, 354x567
>>1051057

If the Empire had maintained its territories at the time of Hadrian, I feel that there would be a more unified Europe. Countless wars would be waged against African, Mongolian, and Islamic invaders. Not only that, but the many wars waged against other countries would be sparse as a unified Latin empire would quell civil revolts. And a Christian Roman Empire would probably survive, but perhaps eventually fall during the early late 1700s and early 1800s as the world would want to sink back into the republics and democracies of old.
>>
>>1051115
>>1051091
Greeks pretending to be Romans - the opposite of the actual empire, which was Romans pretending to be Greeks, but somehow it evens out.
>>
>>1051057
>>1051107
>>1053383

Ok, so when do they stop being romans and start being byzantines according to you, so we can try to give an awnser?
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.