[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone attempted Stoicism, or is currently a Stoic?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 3
I'm honestly tired of my destructive emotions getting the best of me. It os effecting my jobs and schooling, I have no discipline whatsoever. I don't have discipline, because I don't CARE enough. I don't care enough, because I lack the confidence to go through any of it. I'm always anxious about fighting an uphill battle everybody seems to go through. I hear horror stories of graduates not being able to get a job and they become crippled with. I don't want to go through some trial and error bullshit, I want perfect results from myself. But all of it puts fear in me. I'm anxious.

Is becoming a Stoic a good way to combat these fears and anxiety? I've wasted so much time, because of my insecurities. I want a stop to it, and I want to move on. I've started reading up on some stoic material but I don't know if it's right for me.
>>
You should just kill yourself desu. Life is neverending suffering anyway.
>>
Can you actively teach yourself how to be stoic? I always thought it was something you developed over time naturally (for some people) as a method to deal with other people's shit?

It's like being upset and telling yourself, 'I'm not upset, I'm not upset'.. when you clearly are.. but a stoic just fucking deals with it. I am quite high right now.
>>
>>1044129
This is what I do, I don't think it's Stoicism so much as repressing it. It's gotten to the point now where I can be happy or sad or angry but the overwhelming majority of the time I'm apathetic to everything and I'm not sure how I feel anymore.

Would not recommend at all tbqh.
>>
>>1044129
>>1044152
Yeah no, stoicism isn't about repressing your feelings or being apathetic. It's more about not getting upset to begin with.
I'm sure you can develop something of a stoic mindset yourself if you try to.
>>
I am a stoic. At least I consider myself one. It goes from my own preestablished position in life though.

I believe this is because of the way I look onto things. Lately I've been thinking about why I am so unsurprised with things and such and found myself being a what I've called an "ultimate reductionist's" illness or some retardation like this. Basically, every event in life, every situation, every book even or movie, I try to reduce to some simple low-level facts, sometimes without even realising it, which makes me feel indifferent about what is the big thing per se. I was not sure if that is okay or not, but that's how I always was.
As for books and such I just automatically make a scheme of what it is trying to show me/teach me and only after I achieve the understanding of it I may say I've read it. Since this method is inherently reductive in its own I see it as an expansion of my reductive nature.

>inb4 "fuck man you are one unhappy person"
ใกใŒใ†

I find a world where everything is reduced to low-level facts as the world where only happiness and positive emotions can exist since every "bad" thing is reduced, but for some reason I can still feel good when I see some good things happen. Acting according to situatin and also ot sperg out like others brings me happiness too.

Ask questions if would like.

(sorry my keyboard is ass)
>>
>>1044016
>attempted Stoicism
how is that fucking logical. it's not some religion thing.

it's beliefs and you believe in them because they make sense to you. that's about the whole deal. are you 'attempting' to believe in something that doesn't make sense to you?
>>
>>1044223
>I try to reduce to some simple low-level facts, sometimes without even realising it, which makes me feel indifferent about what is the big thing per se.

Surely reducing an issue to simple facts will make the issue more evident than before since you made it clearer, and then you can see what the big deal is.. even if you don't react to it emotionally?

Inb4 the one philosophy post-grad who BTFOs everyone in this thread.
>>
>>1044270
I dont get it, is that a question?

I just say that I find it impossible to feel sadness when you know how things are. From this I only gain happiness as I know how the things really are, as I am not a slave to affections.

Yes, I also like Spinoza in the context.
>>
File: gGzpOuy.gif (42 KB, 644x484) Image search: [Google]
gGzpOuy.gif
42 KB, 644x484
>>1044016
Read Aurelius, Seneca and Epictetus OP.
>>
>>1044569
this seems wrong as fuck
>>
https://youtu.be/_Ohq8meJzS4
>>
File: 1458344592625.jpg (18 KB, 510x476) Image search: [Google]
1458344592625.jpg
18 KB, 510x476
>>1044591
Aurelius talks about practising misfortune, social duty, fame and fortune, and living according to nature (about 50 times) and I know Seneca mentions when going on a ship to visualise the ship crashing so you are prepared for the worst, so it seems pretty accurate to me anon.
>>
>>1044062
But death is no release, you will always suffer. When you cease to exist, you won't be there to sigh in relief.
>>
I'm a stoic

everyone thinks I'm depressed
>>
>>1044755
You might just have depression, anon
>>
>>1044755
>>1044813
Wew
>>
>>1044569
Well, I guess I'm a stoic now apparently.
>>
>>1044569
>We are social beings, with a social duty
looks like i can't be a stoic then, because fuck having a "duty" to anyone else
>>
I know this might get controversial, but you should probably see a therapist who practices Rational Emotive Therapy. It's influenced by the Stoics, Epictetus in particular. It worked pretty good for me
>>
I am.
What do you want to know?
>>
>>1044569
Are ther any other cheat sheets for various philosophical stances?
>>
>>1045708
What are some Stoic practice and exercises?
>>
>>1045165
Man, that sounds good. I don't know if I have any those therapists in my area. I could check.
>>
>>1044244
>it's not some religion thing.

It kind of is to be honest, kazoku. The stoics were big on metaphysics.
>>
>>1046764
Don't worry, man. Albert Ellis, the guy who invented this kind of therapy, is one of the most important psychologists of the 20th century, so even if you don't get to meet a therapist who practices RET, chances are that his kind of analysis was influenced by it

Also, check this stuff
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albert_Ellis
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iw3sDgaoBeA
>>
>>1044062
If that is how you view it sure
>>
Epicureanism, bitches.
Live simply, surround yourself with good friends, create things with your own hands, pursue higher pleasures (philosophy, art, conversation, etc), avoid conflict, don't worry about death: the only thing that happens is your atoms go back into the general mish-mash of the universe.
>>
>>1046764
>>1045165
A lot of Cognitive Behavioral Therapy lines up with stoicism pretty well and it's fairly mainstream.
>>
Stoicism is for those with no ambition, and in those with ambition, it slowly destroys that quality.

It's a dangerous path that begins with an admirable unwillingness to be angered or worry about things you cannot change, but leads toward a rule of inaction in situations that you simply think you cannot change.
>>
>>1048226
After all, Marcus Aurelius was known for his inaction and lack of ambition.
>>
>>1048226
Some of the greatest Romans were Stoics.
Antoninus Pious and Marcus Aurelius, for example.
>>
>>1044016
It sounds like you're too worried about a "good career".

Society's current concept of success is so fucked it drives me insane. Do what makes you happy, as long as you're making over ~50k a year after a while you're set. Don't worry about anything other than:

>will it make you happy
>will it give you the means to live a healthy and entertaining life

That's all you should be thinking about anon. Don't worry about others and what they think. Go work at a campground for a few months. Become a lumberjack. You've been torn from the arms of your nature by the claws of modernity. It sounds silly but putting yourself back in nature might help a lot. Only people that are truly lost to our shitty day and age don't feel better after leaving the city.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.