[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is exactly wrong with ideological inconsistansy or hypocrisy?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: Chimpanzee-Pondering.jpg (309 KB, 1200x1506) Image search: [Google]
Chimpanzee-Pondering.jpg
309 KB, 1200x1506
What is exactly wrong with ideological inconsistansy or hypocrisy? Calling someone a hypocrite if the situation allows it is almost mandatory in arguments buy rarely does anyone go into detail why exactly hypocrisy is wrong.

Thoughts?
>>
>>1037511
Hypocrisy is wrong insofar as someone claims to both believe in some principle and believe that they are permitted to do something that the principle prohibits. It's basically living a contradiction.
>>
>>1037520

But could you give me logically sound reasoning as to why being self contradictory is wrong? How is it for example harmful?
>>
The search for knowlege is the search for absolute truth

Absolute truth is absolute, if there are any contridictions than it is inconsistent and incorrect by definition

Arguments are there to attempt to get closer to the truth, if one is inconsistent their logic is flawed and they should seek to figure out how to iron out the inconsistancy in their logic
>>
>>1037511
Proof of concept is usually the reason. If your values are so good that I should follow them, why can't you follow them yourself?
>>
It's a matter of integrity. If someone can't even follow what are supposed to be their own principles, it casts doubt it casts doubt as to whether said person holds said principles at all and if said principles are even worth holding.

For example, if someone told me "murder is wrong and you shouldn't do it," while brutally stabbing a guy to death, what reason do I have to even consider what this person just said? If the doctrine isn't important enough for the people preaching it to uphold, why should I follow it?
>>
>>1037564
It's important to refrain from gluttony as obesity can lead to early death.
>I bite into a chocolate bar filled with calories and sugar

My statement is still valid and true.
>>
>>1037574
But your statement is more of a certain fact rather than a moral issue.
It's the absolute truth that obesity has the possibility of death, but morals aside what makes murder wrong?
>>
Its an attack at fundamental reasoning behind the other's argument. For example, lets say someone is arguing for marijuana prohibition and they simultaneously believe that alcohol prohibition was bad policy. Attacking along these lines as hypocrisy move to expose that they are holding two views that conflict either on lines of practicality or ideology. By exposing this one can hope to convince the other the held position is incorrect.

Though it can always backfire and they change the other thing instead.
>>
>>1037574
Obesity can lead to an early death, but, in your scenario, it clearly isn't important to refrain from it.
>>
There's nothing inherently wrong with it, but it does show a lack of personal integrity that implies that trusting or putting faith in this individual would be potentially foolish. Since right and wrong often boil down to preferential behaviours and traits versus non-preferential, one could call hypocrisy "wrong" on those grounds.
>>
>>1037574
It's perfectly possible to eat a chocolate bar and still be thin and healthy.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.