[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Did warriors kill Cyrus?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3
File: cyrus.jpg (62 KB, 320x572) Image search: [Google]
cyrus.jpg
62 KB, 320x572
Did warriors kill Cyrus?
>>
>>1032952
Multiple accounts of completely different circumstances told by many different people.

We'll never really know
>>
>>1032975

It was the warriors
>>
>>1033010
Fuck off
>>
>>1032975
Exactly. We don't know how Cyrus the Great died, we don't know what caused his death, we don't know who if anyone was involved in his death. All we know for certain is when he died, and his burial site and tomb.

I for one don't trust Herodotus claiming Cyrus got killed by a bunch of ragtag Scythian rebels.
>>
File: tomyris-707x1000.jpg (134 KB, 707x1000) Image search: [Google]
tomyris-707x1000.jpg
134 KB, 707x1000
http://www.rejectedprincesses.com/princesses/tomyris

>One of the greatest leaders was killed by a girl

LMAO YOU CAN'T MAKE THIS UP
>>
>>1033291
>no proof
>no evidence
>Herodotus never cities any references or sources
Its heresy you moron. And its more then likely made up.
>>
>>1033291
A) Herodotus was writing almost two centuries after Cyrus's death
B) He has literally no direct or even primary second hand accounts to cite his claims
C) Several other historians have reliably claimed Herodotus's theory of Cyrus being killed by a Scythian matriarch to likely be invented and a falsification
D) Xenophon claims in greater detail Cyrus died peacefully at Pasargarde

There is literally zero consensus on how Cyrus died, dozens of theories, and not the least is the fact Herodotus is probably the least credible one of them all.
>>
>>1032952
Cool sidenote, I'm visiting his tomb this summer
>>
>>1033352
>invented and a falsification
Herodotus straight up tells you not to trust everything he wrote down because he knew a lot of his information was coming from dubious sources.
>>
File: Xenophon.jpg (87 KB, 400x617) Image search: [Google]
Xenophon.jpg
87 KB, 400x617
>And those who were subject to him, he treated with esteem and regard, as if they were his own children, while his subjects themselves respected Cyrus as their "Father" ... What other man but 'Cyrus', after having overturned an empire, ever died with the title of "The Father" from the people whom he had brought under his power? For it is plain fact that this is a name for one that bestows, rather than for one that takes away!
Was Cyrus really the good guy everyone made him out to be? I mean you have Xenophon saying shit like this, then you have the Jews declaring him a Messiah (a gentile one at that), the Babylonians called him 'the liberator', so just how did he do it?
>>
>>1034161
Not often. There's a reason why scholars have dubbed Herodotus the "Father of Lies".

>>1034175
Because Cyrus the Great is incredibly based. The fact the Jews rant and rave about how awesome he is when they have never historically bullshitted about positive or negative rulers to them is pretty much paramount fact he was a 1 in a 1,000,000,000,000 sort of guy.
>>
The warriors did it!
>>
>>1034161
I'm aware of that. I'm just rather confounded and annoyed so many people think anything he wrote about Cyrus's death as stone fact.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.