[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is general opinion of this guy? Would it be better if he
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1
What is general opinion of this guy?
Would it be better if he lose to king?
>>
>>1029357
Probably the biggest autist to ever rule.
>>
>>1029357
Had a raging hard on for shitting all over the Catholics, but he still turned into one of the greatest Britons of all time.
>>
>>1029357
>dude fuck the catholics lmao
>>
>>1029378
He didn't want catholics in power, but otherwise, his main goal was religious freedom, which he achieved, including for catholics. They had more rights by the end of the Protectorate than puritans had under Charles. He is known for the period where he put his crazy puritanic major-generals in charge of the country, but it only lasted for about a year, until Cromwell kicked them out. He also basically cemented Britain's standing as a great power, starting a wave of expansion overseas.
>>
>Cromwell's investemant in Royal Navy and subsequent colony policy helps cement England as a super power
>Charles was inept and had been indoctrinated so no ground would be given
>Drogoda was not a massacre as they did not raise the white flag, Irish just needed a scape goat for their failures
>Although he does ensure Ireland's loyalty to the British crown
Overrall a man of his times who helps ensure constitutional monarchy reigns supreme
Feat. A royalist who's studying Charles-glorious revolution for a level
>>
>>1029357
Because a Lord Protector is soooo different from a king.
>>
>>1029357
Among the most evil men to live. Proud to have ancestors who stood against him.
>>
>>1030070
It's called war, and specifically it's called war against people who've repeatedly been disloyal.
>>
>>1029357

I heard he shoah'd the Paddies.
>>
>>1030100
I'm not sure i see your point.
>>
>>1029684
fun fact: Cromwell was not a republican. If you read hist letters and speaches, you will find out that he was a staunch monarchist, he believed that there should be a single head of state, but he was also an advocate of constitutional monarchy who hated absolutism. He considered becoming a king, but he knew that he had no legal claim. But all the legal claimants were absolutists or puppets of catholic powers. So he settled for a compromise, created a new title that he wanted to become something like the the Dutch Stadtholder's office: a de facto dynastic head of state of a republic with a parliament to keep his power in check.
>>
England's Francisco Franco

Except he went a step further than Franco by actually, personally believing the insane religious shit he was fighting for
>>
>>1030135
Did he take into mind that his son sucked?
>>
>>1030148
Probably not, unless he deliberately wanted a weak heir so the parliament could take over make a fast transition into full crowned republic, but I doubt that.
>>
>>1029357
ITT butthurt Micks and Plastic Paddies
>>
>>1030196
>Only the Irish didn't like that piece of turd
>>
>>1030070
Please explain how he was evil, if you don't surrender then you will be massacred
>>
>>1030144
Also responsible for helping stop English brothels, as according to Cromwell that's why England faltered in the Caribbean
>>
>>1031610
What he did to Ireland is certainly sufficient. But he also executed an innocent man, deposed the rightful king, and fucked up the country because of his childish ideals. It also started the flame for other such idiocy.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.