[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Muslims take control of a city >about to burn hundred
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1
File: 1461129412658.jpg (96 KB, 959x639) Image search: [Google]
1461129412658.jpg
96 KB, 959x639
>Muslims take control of a city
>about to burn hundreds of thousands of books and manuscripts (yet again)
>get foiled by a third-world librarian in a dress

kek

>Mr. Haidara returned home from a business trip to learn that the weak Malian army had collapsed and that nearly 1,000 Islamist fighters from one of al Qaeda’s African affiliates, al Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb, had occupied his city. He encountered looters, gunfire and black flags flying from government buildings, and he feared that the city’s dozens of libraries and repositories—home to hundreds of thousands of rare Arabic manuscripts—would be pillaged.

>Mr. Haidara knew that many of the works in the city’s repositories were ancient examples of the reasoned discourse and intellectual inquiry that the jihadists, with their intolerance and rigid views of Islam, wanted to destroy. The manuscripts, he thought, would inevitably become a target.

>The result was a heist worthy of “Ocean’s Eleven.” They bought metal and wooden trunks at a rate of between 50 and 80 a day, made more containers out of oil barrels and located safe houses around the city and beyond. They organized a small army of packers who worked silently in the dark and arranged for the trunks to be carried by donkey to their hiding places.

>By the time French troops invaded the north in January 2013, the radicals had managed to destroy only 4,000 of Timbuktu’s nearly 400,000 ancient manuscripts. “If we hadn’t acted,” Mr. Haidara told me later, “I’m almost 100% certain that many, many others would have been burned.”

http://www.wsj.com/articles/the-librarian-who-saved-timbuktus-cultural-treasures-from-al-qaeda-1460729998
>>
They are all Muslims and they are all Africans so I don't get your point
>>
>>1011942
History being saved isn't of interest to you?
>>
>>1011933
So, do we have scans of those manuscripts? What are they actually about?
>>
>>1011942
>>1011933
He is posses you said Muslims and yet again

It is awesome though that people still care enough to save their history.
>>
>>1011952
>Islamic
>Golden
>Age
>>
>>1011952
>So, do we have scans of those manuscripts?
Only a few hundred

>What are they actually about?
So far a blend of history and medieval science/theology/medicine/poetry/law.
>>
>>1011933
>The result was a heist worthy of “Ocean’s Eleven.”
kek, the author of the article probably didn't even know that this was one of the smaller scale smuggling operation probably happening in Africa that day.

Good story, though.
>>
>>1011933
That man is a hero but unfortunately not every library can be so lucky

>2015-02
>Mosul public library, Iraq
>8,000 rare old books and manuscripts. Manuscripts from the eighteenth century, Syriac books printed in Iraq's first printing house in the nineteenth century, books from the Ottoman era, Iraqi newspapers from the early twentieth century.

http://www.thefiscaltimes.com/2015/02/23/ISIS-Burns-8000-Rare-Books-and-Manuscripts-Mosul
>>
>>1011987
>ISIS want to make islam great again
>erase literally any trace of anything worthwhile in islamic history
>then USA/russia gets bored and steamrolls them in 4 hours
>the middle east is now even more backwards and pathetic
>>
>>1011933
reminder that books are praised by the occidental humanists [liberal and libertarian] because they have found this way to communicate their retarded fantasies and they believe that it is enough to read their books to praise their doctrine.
>>
>>1012033
pathetic retard
>>
>>1011933
what a based man
>>
>>1011933
And they got saved by a muslim. Whats your point OP?
>>
>>1012078
Not everyone has an agenda. OP might've just wanted to share a cool story about a passionate librarian who helped secure a part of islamic heritage.
>>
>>1012078

Go back to /pol/ I would appreciate any selfless act that benefits all humanity regardless of who did it.
>>
>>1012078
He is not a real muslim xDDD
>>
>>1012013
ISIS is already regressing.
>>
>>1012307
OP is implying that Muslims were not already in control of the city or not those who fought against the destruction of Islamic texts.

It's creating a false narrative.
>>
>>1012353
He's not implying anything. (You) on the other hand are full of prejudice about both the OP and muslims in general. So how about you fuck off to /pol/ instead you troglodyte piece of shit.
>>
>>1012013
I don't want to start a No True Scotsman thing here, but really ISIS is only interested in destruction, power and control, not religion
They regularly destroy Islamic artifacts
>>
>>1011933
Respect, Mr. Haidara.
>>
>>1011987
>Iraqi newspapers from the early twentieth century
ahhh that gets the media student and designer in me wet thinking about, please tell me there are examples preserved I'd love to see whether they just copied western press lay outs or came up with their own
>>
>>1012362
You are though and it's transparent that you are.
>>
>>1011933

B A S E D
A
S
E
D
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.