[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why haven't comunism destroyed religion in places like Russia
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 1
Why haven't comunism destroyed religion in places like Russia or China?
>>
>>1006520
lol, is there any video to that picture.
Francis be like, wtf, are you serious m8?!
>>
It did destroy it in china for a long time.
>>
>>1006533
But it's coming back. Even worse it's Christianity this time.
>>
>>1006553
Christianity is just benefitting off the current trend of "Oh westerners are doing it, we must too."

It'll wear off. Specially since nationalism is coming back as well.
>>
>>1006565
My question still stands. Why isn't the same thing happening in other comunist or postcomunist nations?
>>
>>1006580
Like?
>>
>>1006588
Russia, Poland, Slovakia, Cuba, Vietnam, Hungary, etc.
>>
>>1006595
I mean, no communist country has ever successfully destroyed a religion.

I dunno what you're asking.
>>
>>1006565

Being Christian gives you no distinct advantage in China. On the contrary, in fact.

But hey, it's just a fad.
>>
>>1006599
I mean why there is small number of comunist nations that managed to create society with atheistic majority?
>>
>>1006600
It is just a fad. Also Christianity aren't "LE HUNTED DOWN AND PERSECUTED IN CHINA." The sanctioned Churches are free to move around.

Its the unlicensed cunts that want to be international (i.e., formal ties with Rome, presence of American ministers) that are watched. And for good reason: China historically had a shitty experience with foreign Christian missionaries.

This is why independent protestant Chinese Churches trump Chink Catholics in the region.
>>
>>1006599
>I mean, no country has ever successfully destroyed a religion.
fixed it for you, lad
>>
>>1006614

The sanctioned churches are tightly monitored by the government. At some point, it ceases move around freely when it becomes an arm of the state to spread their values.
>>
>>1006645
>At some point, it ceases move around freely when it becomes an arm of the state to spread their values.
So like every religion in China. Doesn't really make Christianity's case in China special unless you're an unsanctioned cunt.
>>
>>1006520
Religion has always been a part of us and always will be. It's just important as politics and economy.
>>
>>1006595
Russia is very secularized, believe it or not. They mostly treat Orthodox Church as a cultural identity, while remaining atheist. Even look at the abortion ratios. Nobody gives a fuck about that.

While for Soviet satelite states, church was often the only organised opposition group, so it was actually reinforced. In Poland, going to church was an act of political protest and since mid 70's it became quite popular for people that were not really religious. Also the Pope.
>>
>>1006674
Yes. Americans probably more religious than Russians.
>>
>>1006660
Sooo why is religion disappearing from Czech republic, Japan or China?
>>
>>1006689

Just a fad. It'll be back in one form or another.
>>
>>1006600
> in China
And that's the point. China is opening up to the world, its not so insular. Christianity connects them to the world, so places like Africa (where they are trying to economically exploit) it provides an advantage.
>>
>>1006707
I am from Czech Republic and I can tell you that it is not coming back, most of believers are old people and younger the generation the less believers. And with the immigrants coming, religion is seen in even worse light becouse most people blame bad behaviour on religion. There was also return of land taken by comunists back to church hands recently, which pissed off a lot of people.
>>
>>1006679
America is officially more religious than Russia. Just look up any statistics.
>>
>>1006520
>communisn didn't destroy religion in Russia
It did.
>>
Because the new pope is a liberation theology cuck.
>>
>>1006553
>even worse it's Christianity this time
Hey bud you dropped your fedora
>>
>>1007476
o ye defender of faith in internet you earned your maximum amount of daily christian good boy points. Jesus is proud of you son.
>>
>>1006660

This may be true, but in any case not for the reasons that you probably think it true.

The reality of irreligion will continue to impose itself upon human societies until such time as the human animal adapts to live without it, or until the species goes extinct - possibly as a consequence of its very inability to do without the social, storytelling faculties of religious experience.

A more depressing view of things is the conservative cyclic view of history, where the godless and decadent are inevitably replaced by the god-fearing and humble people, whoever they may be. But this "equilibrium" is actually the most absurd of the three possibilities, in the long view. Things change.
>>
>>1006520
You can close the buildings but cannot close the inclination of the human being towards spirituality.
>>
>>1008769

*live without /religion/, that is, and not "without irreligion". Properly speaking, after there is never any such thing as getting outside of irreligion, in the sense that this would imply getting outside of reality, or into a different world that does not exist.
>>
>>1006595
Slovakia used to be 99% Christian, now it's 25% atheist. Communism definitely had an impact there.
>>
>>1008777

Once again, this may be true, but not for the reasons that you probably have in mind. If it is true that homo sapiens as such cannot do without religious feelings, closely tied to social life, then perhaps the sequel will be a creature, ceasing to be strictly human, who can.

A bear is not a Christian, nor is a dog. Animals change very gradually, left to their own devices, develop their own "dead-end" traits sometimes, and recently, technology has been busy with stamp-collecting a large suite of hacks. I'll invoke the word unironically: transhumanism.

Imagine for instance a race of high-functioning autists, with whatever qualifiers I need to ensure that society still functions, with no unintended consequences because we've modeled all those, who are able to busy themselves with space exporation, biological immortality, and so on, while never feeling the pangs of the reality of the absence of God . A perfect nightmare for you, I'm sure.
>>
>>1008836
I'm not a believer.
>>
>>1008783
Are you sure that was communism and not just modernity?
>>
>>1010642
Pretty sure.
>>
Because the real source of religious feeling is adversity, and there was plenty of that in communist countries.

That's why the greatest destroyer of religion historically wasn't communism but liberal democracy. It creates such nice living conditions that people just don't give a fuck about religion anymore.
>>
>>1006707
Of course not.

Religions were popular back then because we didn't understand the world, both physically and philosophically.

Now, modern science and centuries of philosophical pondering are here to destroy the "need" for religion, for good. The only thing that could "come back" are the actual fads of hippie-like alternative movements, which while probably referencing old (by then) religions will not truly be what religion ever was.
>>
>>1006565
Unfortunately Christianity does not have the tendency of wearing off.
>>
>>1010867
Certainly wore off in the ME and East Africa and Central Asia and much of Europe.
>>
>>1006614
No shit people don't want to be part of a sanctioned church that just spews propaganda all day and enforces particular interpretations of holy texts which match up with government agendas.
>>
>>1006595
Cuba is easy.
As a Latin American country, Cuba can't take anything seriously enough, not even communism.
>>
>>1006520
After the USSR fell the Orthodox Church successfully organized a religious revival.
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.