[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What 10 philosophical works would you bring to a desert island?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 8
File: Super smart sci bear.jpg (104 KB, 500x415) Image search: [Google]
Super smart sci bear.jpg
104 KB, 500x415
What 10 philosophical works would you bring to a desert island? You will have to read them until the rest of your days. So choose wisely.
>>
Why do you always post bears with your questions?

Or is it multiple people and that this is a new meme? The curious bear?
>>
Das Kapital so I wouldn't have to wipe my ass with dry leaves.
>>
None, philosophy is kinda useless and worthless. I would rather bring some technical manuals on log building and basic generators and so on..
>>
>>1004851
I like the pondering gorilla more.
>>
>>1004851
It's a /sci/ meme
>>
>>1004878

That's great, but that isn't what I asked for in the OP. I'm not asking your to conceptualise a realistic survival scenario. I'm asking you to conceptualise a scenario where you could only read 10 works of philosophy for the rest of your life.

Pure autism.
>>
>>1004913
>reading philosophy books
For what purpose?
>>
>>1004938

>philosophy has no value
>ethics have no value
>analysing your beliefs and arguments has no value
>thinking rationally has no value

By the way, the belief that philosophy has no value is itself a philosophical belief
>>
blackwell companion to skepticism
>>
>>1004775
Not sure I can name ten, but I know one that I'd bring would be the Meditations of Marcus Aurelius.
>>
>>1005038
>everything is philosophy so you have to appreciate the useless bullshit just like you appreciate useful things
Not really.. I have personally never needed a philosophy or ethics expert for anything. So far I did absolutely fine without ever having to hire one. Meanwhile I would probably be dead a billion times by now without an engineer or a doctor or a chemist or a physicist or a computer person and so on.

Philosophers do nothing, build nothing, make nothing, ESPECIALLY today. I see no merit in the circlejerk hugbox echo chambers of philosophy (and other useless bullshit in general) while there's extreme use in studying things that actually matter, like how to secure food, shelter, clothes on my back, etc.

So I ask again. For what purpose? Studying philosophy and other useless bullshit, why?
>>
File: image.jpg (72 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
72 KB, 640x640
>>1005078
>>
>>1005078
You sound so incredibly dull it hurts.
>>
File: 1451777725336.jpg (225 KB, 800x533) Image search: [Google]
1451777725336.jpg
225 KB, 800x533
>>1005109
>>1005139
>personal insults
shit, I am now convinced philosophy is oh so smart and useful and philosophers too should get money/appreciation for what they do
>>
>>1005078

Yes, if you're making value judgments about knowledge, you're doing philosophy.

You're going through life without ever examining the foundations your beliefs rest on. You're waddling through life uncritically accepting beliefs and ideas, which is why your post is so infantile. Every idea or statement that you make about the world inevitably stems from some basic assumptions. Philosophy allows you dig deep and examine these assumptions to see whether we have a good reason to accept them.

So define "what actually matters" and I will show you the flimsy assumptions your ideas rest on.

P.s. I'm studying engineering, not philosophy.
>>
File: amazon_gorilla.jpg (58 KB, 318x352) Image search: [Google]
amazon_gorilla.jpg
58 KB, 318x352
>>1004851
Its a /sci/ meme. Gorillaposting is obviously better
>>
File: 1457805130506.jpg (309 KB, 1584x1089) Image search: [Google]
1457805130506.jpg
309 KB, 1584x1089
>>1004775
I would bring Hegel and nothing but Hegel, no guides or interpretations of Hegel that might assist me in understanding him.

I figure trying to learn purely from the source would take me a long time.
>>
>>1005211
Well I mostly mean quality of life and survival rate.. its not that I dont think philosophy should exist, its just that lets say there's a "big engineering project" and "big philosophy project" and you cant fund both, which one do you fund?

Life isnt some sort of ideal thing where you can do everything, be everywhere, all at the same time. We just have to choose, our days last only 24 hours and we have to sleep a lot too. Its not that philosophy is absolutely worthless, its just worthless in comparison to tech/engineering stuff. Practical problems have priority over philosophical problems, no? Cant do philosophy if you are dead anyway.

Energy crisis, more and more mouths to feed with less and less arable land, global warming, asteroid threat, there's so much other things we should be doing before we can do useless hobby things. You have to work before you eat, you have to do job before you can do hobbies, this is just as fundamental as.. quarks and bosons are.
>>
>>1005262

>spotted the dumb gorilla poster
>>
Not sure if philosophy but..

On the Jews and their Lies
Protocols of the Elders of Zion
Mein Kampf

So I can think of ways to continue to blame the Jews for my problems even on a desert island.
>>
>>1005275
You spend a lifetime learning he was full of shit.
>>
>>1005281
So I'm not sure what your ultimate point is. In the beginning you said philosophy was absolutely worthless, now you say it's just less important. Are you suggesting that any pursuit, like art or philosophy or history, is too unimportant to be studied or dedicated to at all?
>>
>>1005311
Well if room is on fire, you dont all of a sudden start to worry if you made the bed or not, you get the hell out of there first.
Basically our boat is sinking and we are still wondering if we are on the right course.
>>
>>1005333
I'm just asking you to clarify. Should everyone ditch studying the humanities, arts, basically anything that isn't agriculture, engineering, or medicine? That seems to be what you're saying.

If you're going to make the judgement that 'practical things' (whatever you define that to be) are more important than the impractical under what circumstances is it appropriate to study them? Is it not worth it ever? Are we supposed to wait for a post-scarcity society? Are passions and interests supposed to play no role in what we do with our lives?
>>
File: 0a1.jpg (141 KB, 680x843) Image search: [Google]
0a1.jpg
141 KB, 680x843
>>1004775

My own, because that's all that matters.

(*tips*)
>>
>>1005358
Humanities and arts have practical applications. Pure philosophy, as what you get from being a philosophy major, doesn't.
>>
>>1005369
I'm seriously questioning how you came to that conclusion. How is history or music more 'practical' than ethics or aesthetics?
>>
>>1005358
There's just less and less resources and more and more people, which is basically the conflict equation, so when the inevitable clash comes, certain people (practical ones) are going to come out on top while the useless and unessential ones might not even stay alive.
>>
>>1005380
I'm not him, but I believe people in their respective fields are far better at doing philosophy than people who studied philosophy. So someone who máster it's craft in the arts will probably understand more about the process and the ideas behind it than an expert on Aristotle's aesthetics.

Just because philosophers know about metaphysics, doesn't mean they are better than a PhD in physics in making philosophical claims about science.
>>
Plato Complete Works
Aristotle Complete Works
Cicero Complete Works
Descartes Complete Works
Kant Complete Works
Hegel Complete Works
Hume Complete Works
Locke Complete Works
Schopenhauer Complete Works
Nietzsche Complete Works
>>
>>1005385
Not really sure what you're suggesting here. There's an impending societal collapse due to overpopulation and we should only focus on survival skills in preparation for that? Doesn't really answer the question of whether or not its ever appropriate to study philosophy either.

>>1005394
I don't know enough about metaphysics to really comment on it but I'll have to disagree. No one else is really doing Ethics or justice theory. In fact the only scientist I can think of who did anything relevant on Ethics was Sam Harris, the results being not particularly well received. Logic is essentially a purer form of mathematics.

Epistemology and Aesthetics are probably the most 'useless' from an outsider's point of view. Arguably they only really benefit the people who study them, of course the same could be said for every field branched under the humanities.
>>
File: 1458460243314.jpg (120 KB, 960x960) Image search: [Google]
1458460243314.jpg
120 KB, 960x960
>>1005395
>actually reading the question

Also, same. Though I do think philosophy would be pretty boring without any social interactions to observe its truths in.
>>
>>1005821
>In fact the only scientist I can think of who did anything relevant on Ethics was Sam Harris
Ethics is not directly related to science. However, for the cases were ethics comes into place (medicince for example) Doctors are far better at expressing the probelms, or are at least people who are trained somehow in the medical field.

I´m stating that philosophy has branched out, adn because of that you need to really know a field before saying shit about that fiedl.
>>
>>1005922

>that pic

How is it possible for someone to fuck up in so many ways
>>
>>1005950
>I´m stating that philosophy has branched out, adn because of that you need to really know a field before saying shit about that fiedl.

I would agree, I think Russel talked about this in one of his essays. When philosophy becomes sufficiently advanced it becomes an entire new field. Like how philosophy of mind became psychology. Roughly, 'philosophers of mind' are still working today on problems like consciousness and free will.

That said I don't really get your example with medicine. Are you saying that doctors deal with ethical problems in their day to day without philosophy or that they're better at ethics in general?
>>
>>1005394

Metaphysics and physics have absolutely nothing to do with other. You have no idea what you're talking about.
>>
>>1004775
Can I bring trap douijins and some writing paper instead? If I'm stranded on an island I'm not going to be very interested in other people's philosophy
>>
File: 0ipWHWp.png (375 KB, 600x399) Image search: [Google]
0ipWHWp.png
375 KB, 600x399
>this thread
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.