[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are there any good youtube philosophers?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 5
File: nostef.png (203 KB, 412x395) Image search: [Google]
nostef.png
203 KB, 412x395
Are there any good youtube philosophers?
>>
Does Stefan relate the state to his abusive mother?
>>
>>1003122

You first have to establish that there are in fact, youtube philosophers.
>>
File: detained.jpg (35 KB, 599x368) Image search: [Google]
detained.jpg
35 KB, 599x368
>>1003134
Kinda, he sees no difference in physical violence applied by the state and parents: both are immoral to him.
>>1003142
Why would such a thing not exist?
>>
>>1003161

>Why would such a thing not exist?

I suppose it could exist, but I've never seen a youtube figure I'd consider a philosopher in the first place. Where are their publications, their credentials, their ability to formulate arguments?

Someone like Molyneaux is fundamentally little different than a homeless man shouting his views at passers by about how things should be, albeit more persuasive at such.
>>
>>1003188
>I suppose it could exist, but I've never seen a youtube figure I'd consider a philosopher in the first place. Where are their publications, their credentials, their ability to formulate arguments?
It's more normal for philosophers to stick to writing, instead of making youtube videos. But there isn't anything inherent about youtube that prevents philosophers from uploading videos.
>Someone like Molyneaux is fundamentally little different than a homeless man shouting his views at passers
How is any philosopher who publishes his works any different from that?
>>
>>1003235

> But there isn't anything inherent about youtube that prevents philosophers from uploading videos.

Hence

>I suppose it could exist, but I've never seen a youtube figure I'd consider a philosopher in the first place

>How is any philosopher who publishes his works any different from that?

By adhering to a generally coherent structure of arguments and terminology, which can be examined by peers, often having his or her work reviewed before putting it into publication.

It's a matter of credentials. If your faucet leaks, and your buddy who is visiting your house knows how to fix it, does that make him a plumber? What if he doesn't know how to fix it, but just decides to go tightening some stuff in your plumbing and loosening other stuff?
>>
>>1003134
>>1003142
NOT AN ARGUMENT
O
T

A
N

A
R
G
U
M
E
N
T
>>
Watching youtube vlogs is literally worse than watching TV, including reality TV.
>>
>>1003288
Could you elaborate?
>>
Me and a couple others, but we're Italian so you'll never get to listen to us.
>>
File: manletwews.jpg (66 KB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
manletwews.jpg
66 KB, 960x540
>>
>>1003122
>are there any good philosophers?

'no'
>>
>>1003267
>What if he doesn't know how to fix it, but just decides to go tightening some stuff in your plumbing and loosening other stuff?

If a person who's not a plumber does a plumber's job and nobody knows he's not a plumber does a tree make a sound when it falls over?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDoIilJ-_Z0
>>
But would you still agree with him if he was shot?
>>
>>1003122
>youtube philosophers

LOL.

Real philosophy is in books. It's a far easier format to cite, to search, and compare to other works. It is also much easier to keep recorded over the centuries, while youtube can remove any videos with no warning. Anyone that is evenly remotly interested in people taking their work seriously or having it looked at 20 years down the road is going to write a book.

Youtube is about shoveling out content as fast as possible on whatever thing is trending in order to generate hits. A video is forgotten and a new one comes up. Philosophy is about taking 5+ years of serious contemplation and research in order to write something that will resonate 100 years later.

youtube philosophy is to real philosophy what buzzfeed is to a history book
>>
>>1004121
>buzzfeed
buzzfeed is like popular though maaan.
>>
>>1003298
Not him but TV is professionally made. Youtube is amateurish and half of it is reality tv anyway.

Just consider that the youtube "stars" couldn't even make it as a B-list actor.
>>
To be a philosopher in any interesting sense one must build upon the canon of philosophy or another philosopher. If you do not do this, you have created a wholly new philosophical tradition and you do NOT use the words in the same context as the rest of philosophy.
Thus, even though it may fall under the umbrella term 'philosophy' (like Eastern philosophy does, or lebensphilosophie), it does not become philosophy in the academic sense.
Molyneux outright dismisses not only the contemporary philosophers but the whole canon, tradition, contextual definitions etc., of Western philosophy, and he can therefore not be seen as a philosopher in any interesting sense.

Let's take an analogues example. Physicists studying quantum mechanics may have a debate over string theory. Stefan Molyneux is Deepak Chopra in that debate. The only thing they have in common is syntax but no content.

Stefan Molyneux is NOT a philosopher in any interesting way.
>>
>>1003122
Davis Aurini :^)
>>
>>1003122
The Amazing Atheist
>>
>>1007234
The philosophy of sticking bananas up his ass and dripping hot liquid onto his dick?
>>
>>1007251
The philosophy of "gOD dont real"
>>
Vernaculis is god-tier

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClzNJ7y2Q6wY0tEOzE6EM9Q/videos
>>
>>1003122
He should really eat more fruit to help with that constipation.
>>
Why does he call himself a philosopher when he is, at best, a political pundit?

Anyway the only good philosophical content I've found on youtube have been rips of BBC radio programs. Like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1VuzgljaL4

Of course you'd be better off actually reading the source material but it's not bad if you're feeling a bit lazy I guess.
>>
File: sophists-socrates-plato-2-728.jpg (132 KB, 728x546) Image search: [Google]
sophists-socrates-plato-2-728.jpg
132 KB, 728x546
Maybe somewhere within the Platonic realm there is a form of a youtube philosopher, but right now there aren't.

The people on "philosophers" on youtube, the vloggers, are quite literally modern day sophists.
>>
>>1009281
Eh, fucked up my syntax.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.