[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
tell me about Charlemagne
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2
File: 7f8.png (52 KB, 200x231) Image search: [Google]
7f8.png
52 KB, 200x231
tell me about Charlemagne
>>
File: Charlie.jpg (95 KB, 334x250) Image search: [Google]
Charlie.jpg
95 KB, 334x250
>This triggers the Saxon
>>
>>1002025
A French dude who conquered Western Europe for the lulz
After his death, his empire divided itself

The Western part became a successful nation known as France

The Eastern one became a failure known as the >H>R>E.
Until France destroyed it that is. After that, it became an edgy thing called "Germany" that swore to destroy Europe
>>
>>1002037
>french
free (you)
>>
He was a GERMAN from GERMANY
>>
>>1002049
>>1002037
>>1002187
Germans and French people didn't exist yet you meme spouting fucks. He was a Frank.
>>
>>1002037
>>1002187
>You're both wrong.
>>
>>1002196
HE WAS GERMAN
>>
>>1002196
Well they were a germanic tribe to be frank
>>
>>1002449
Yes. But Germanic =/= German.
>>
>>1002027
Why does he wear the crown?
>>
Germania =/= German
>>
>>1002465
I know I just wanted to make a pun.
>>
>>1002025
For starters, unless you want to stir up the water It'd be for the best to express his name as Charles the Great because that's the only correct way to express his name with pure English form, and since were are on a English oriented site, there's not much to argue about.

As for what he was, he wished to preserve the Old high German whilst everything was latinized (his predecessors used mostly slowly rising form of modern French language) due to papacy being in power, his center was in Aachen modern day western Germany.

On the other hand his genealogy a slightly conflicting thing points to him being Frankish, since franks are obviously connected primarily to France he should be considered french.

That all being written, he was certainly close to being a modern German rather than French, but likewise we do not consider Prussians German, because Prussians are not germans, but germanized Baltics.

A little note on the side. I've never seen anyone going this anally annihilated about Clovis for example, who should in such way be called Hlodowig/Chlodwig.
>>
>>1002037
>French
t. François le Frogue
>>
>>1002187
>German
t. Heinrich von Schnitzelwürst
>>
>>1002740
I'd say the Frankish language was closer to the Low Frankish languages and Dialects, e.g. Dutch, Flemish and Ripuarian. It's not that probable that he spoke a form of high German.
>>
>>1002864
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlemagne#Language

>Charlemagne himself probably spoke a Rhenish Franconian dialect of Old High German.[96]
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_High_German#Historical_context

>The dedication to the preservation of Old High German epic poetry among the scholars of the Carolingian Renaissance was significantly greater than could be suspected from the meagre survivals we have today (less than 200 lines in total between the Lay of Hildebrand and the Muspilli). Einhard tells how Charlemagne himself ordered that the epic lays should be collected for posterity.[3] It was the neglect or religious zeal of later generations that led to the loss of these records. Thus, it was Charlemagne's weak successor, Louis the Pious, who destroyed his father's collection of epic poetry on account of its pagan content

Ugh, frogs ruin everything.
>>
>>1002449
that was good
>>
>>1002740
You do realize that plenty of the Franks stayed in Germany right?
>>
>>1003512
I do, but they are not considered widely to be main part of Germany's cultural heritage not as much as Alemanni, Bavarians and Saxons, and then again as far as I'm aware their cultural characteristics were neither dominant nor preserved in modern Germany, but I'm no expert in contemporary demography of early to high medieval Germany.
>>
>>1003610
Have you not heard of Franconia?
>>
>>1003677
I was mildly aware of it's existence as an individual and only solemnly frank territory on Germany's territory, but I've never considered it important because it's effects as Frankish cultural center never exactly spread it's power over others and was in fact integrated into Bavaria later on in modern times. But then again as i said I'm not an expert on this topic.
>>
>>1002187
>>1002201

HE WAS A GERMAN OF GAUL
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.