[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So basically I've been getting into drawing lately and was
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /h/ - Hentai

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
File: pg_009.jpg (574 KB, 1200x1686) Image search: [Google]
pg_009.jpg
574 KB, 1200x1686
So basically I've been getting into drawing lately and was putting some thought into making some hentai with it.

But idk what goes all behind the production of doujins and cg games. Like is that stuff mostly still handrawn because I van imagine that being pretty darn fast compared to making everything digital. Or if you're even working digitally what do H artists use? SAI? Personally I've been using Adobe illustrator because >vectors and the fact that you can easily tweak the curbes and points with your mouse (because my hand drawings looked like someone with Parkinson just died).

And what about doujin vs cg game? Well cg games are usually colored but don't need an image for non h scenes which makes it easier to get a some dialogue or even plot across effortlessly. But then again each cg image looks usually more detailed than doujins.

Any suggestions, explanations, statements, comments,... are welcome.

(random pic)
>>
>>4246673
>So basically I've been getting into drawing lately and was putting some thought into making some hentai with it.
500 years too early pal. Keep practicing.

>Adobe illustrator
lol

> Like is that stuff mostly still handrawn because I van imagine that being pretty darn fast compared to making everything digital.
Digital is faster.
And they draw with tablet, not mouse. So of course it's faster than traditional medium.
Most workflow start with pencil sketches, then they are scanned into PTS for refinement.

>what do H artists use? SAI?
SAI or Photoshop.

>And what about doujin vs cg game?
CG game is 90% re-used assets.
Especially background arts, so you only need to draw your character.
>>
>500 years too early pal. Keep practicing.
How many years experience are we actually looking at, roughly? (apparently drawing has a gigantic learning curve)
>>
Source of OP is http://exhentai.org/g/865751/e408781f37/
>>
>>4246898
15, if you didnt drew since you were a kid or in highschool you can forget it for this life already.
>>
>>4246673
>>>4246898
>15, if you didnt drew since you were a kid or in highschool you can forget it for this life already.

The fact that that's almost a full childhood, kinda suggest that most (if not all) h-artist do this as full job or rely on it's income, or am I wrong?
>>
>>4246898
Depends on your dedication. Usually takes around a month to grasp the basics, but two to four years to get something decent.
If you want more information visit /ic/.
Remember if you put your mind into it you can do it anon!
>>
>>4246673
For the production thing, that has more to do with the way you tell the story, drawing good doujins is probably more about knowing how to frame everything correctly in scenes rather than the drawing itself. To learn how to do this just read doujin and pay attention to how they are laid out. This is something I can't do myself so no help from me there.

Working digitally is tremendously faster than traditional (Mainly because you can undo and use transformation tools) but you should get a tablet. Vectors look good now but the end up taking a stupid amount of time. The programs usually have a smoothing feature that makes your lines better by itself so don't worry about that.

For program, I use SAI, it has vectors that were useful in the beginning and could be used for cell-shadings but I find it has a lot of limitations when you get to illustrating compared to photoshop. If you want to do manga style maybe a program more specific for it, like manga studio, would be better, but I can't assure cuz I don't use it myself. Either Way, no one uses illustrator for something that is not super high end illustrations, the most common programs are SAI and Photoshop and you'll find more tutorials for them.

If you want to improve faster you need to draw/paint a lot but you need to be very critical of what you do and try to improve any part that you are not happy with. In my case it helped a lot to copy pictures that I liked while trying to figure out why they looked good.

>>4246898
It depends on you. I find a lot of people say they have been drawing for years but don't put any effort in improving. I spent ten years drawing like shit and not improving until I found a new passions for doing hentai and started to make an effort to actually get better. Four months later I was doing some crappy commissions and a year and a half later I have so many to do that it's not even funny.
>>
>>4246673
i use gimp and a wacom tablet, i only do decensors and it took me a good month or two to get redrawing and copying art styles down. just a small decensor job takes 1-2 hours, larger ones take basically a day. i cant imagine how long full on drawing takes and the skills necessary to do it.
>>
>>4247658
Who are you?
>>
>>4247846
I'm csium, http://www.hentai-foundry.com/pictures/user/cesium
>>
>>4248057
Not to bad, the shading is pretty damn neat.
So what did you do? Books, schools, methods, etc.
>>
>>4248124
I've never used any books or gone to art school, seems like a big waste of time considering all the tutorial on the internet.

For drawing i just copied things that I liked and eventually tried to do things on my own.

For coloring I suggest you look up totorials on shading and lighting, like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3WmrWUEIJo just to give you a basic idea of what shadows, casted shadow, primary light, reflected light and all those thigs are. Then you start understanding how other artists do their illustrations and you can imitate their results.

My coloring method I created myself. It's not that good and has a lot of limitations but it's very fast and easy to make so it's good for commissions.
>>
>>4248159
I never really understood how learning by copying works, same with the "learn from the old master paintings".
I mean you'll never know how they made their painting since you can't see the progress, the guidelines, etc. (except if you watch their livestreams I guess).
So how do you get better if you have no idea what exactly they did?

And how do you deal with the feeling of your art looking like shit compared to the original when you copy stuff?
>>
File: 1460976825841.png (1 MB, 2500x450) Image search: [Google]
1460976825841.png
1 MB, 2500x450
>>4248192

First look up some tutorials on basic 3d forms, how to divide the body in simpler shapes, those are everywhere. Once you know this you start applying it to the images you see. I don't mean you should copy all the details but try to grasp the general idea of the image, like what I've done there. Eventually you become able to see this even without drawing it. I'd suggest copying artists that make more realistic proportions, sort of like the old master you mention, or just use photographs of real bodies. You won't get anywhere unless you study anatomy. Even very specific styles like you see in manga are drawn by people that understand the real thing before they start exagerating its proportions.

Above all else what you need to do is stop thinking about it and just draw. If you started not too long ago chances are it takes you a long time to draw anything. The more you draw the faster you get at it and the easier it is for you to correct your mistakes when you think about them.

>And how do you deal with the feeling of your art looking like shit compared to the original when you copy stuff?
Your art is always going to look like shit compared with the art of someone who has been working on theirs for longer. If you want to improve your art should always look to you like it could be better. If you see a picture that is better than your you need to identify why and add that to your next work.
>>
>>4248238
First time I actually have someone explain it, very nice. Do you "trace" when copying though like in that example?

Been drawing since years, but mostly only a month each year before I lost motivation because I had no idea what to do and you hear everyone just be like THE BASICS THE BASICS without ever telling you more.

Only really started to get more into it since around half a year ago but my biggest fear right now is just never making progress and in like 3 years still not drawing better.

>chances are it takes you a long time to draw anything
Oh yeah, takes me like 3 hours just for a character drawing with simple flat colors, would post stuff but not sure if allowed on /h/ and it sucks anyway.
>>
>>4248258
No, that's just a quick example. Unless you already have experience drawing and just want to save time I suggest you don't trace.It would improve your perception but you wouldn't improve a drawing itself. What I did was actually on traditional media because I didn't have a tablet. I just picked a small blank notebook and started copying random things I liked. They do look shitty in the beginning but you eventually get the feeling on how to measure everything in proportion to the head and things like that.

Improving is relatively easy if you pay attention to what you are doing wrong. If you see something wrong with your drawing, draw it again correctly. But for this you really need to be able to draw quickly and without much effort. I was the same, spent ten years doing maybe a drawing a week and never really improved. If it takes you three hours to do a single character, drawing the exact same thing again just slightly different is really demotivating, I've been there. But ,the more you draw the faster it gets so it doesn't bother you to correct mistakes and with digital media it's even faster to fix your creations because you can use layers and selection tools to transform what you want.
>>
>>4248238
Oh wow. Thank you for explaining that and using some visual reference.
An explanation with visuals is so much easier to understand.

But when you draw sketches on paper and are satisfied with it, what do you actually do to digitalise it? Scan and trace it in some program or just fully redraw the sketch but then on your tablet?
Assuming you redraw it then the actual thing you're training with drawing is muscle memory, right?
>>
>>4248321
Yes, you could call it muscle memory, that and the ability to visualize in 3d is what you get from it and they are the most important bases imo. I'm no expert at all, just talking from experience, but I think if you can get those you'll at least have the ability to improve as much as you want.

Right now I don't do anything serious on actual paper. In the beginning it feels weird doing it all with the tablet but it ends up saving you so much time that traditional is just not worth it. I still do doodles and such of course, at this point it's rare to not be drawing even if I should be like paying attention in class or something.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.