[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
pricing
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /gd/ - Graphic Design

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3
File: 1456621110639.jpg (7 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
1456621110639.jpg
7 KB, 225x225
>was mainly employed
>started receiving freelance jobs
>have no idea how to charge

basically 26, college degree in GD.
got email to do template for internal presentation that will be use for some time...

no idea how to charge this
i live in germany...
any ideas how much should this cost?
>>
>>272196
charge by number of hours worked dumbass, just like every other profession out there.
>>
>>272196
Complexity, hours worked.
>>
>>272197
>>272215
more details please?

I've the same problem, and I'm too depressed/autistic to figure it out

> 27 yrs old
> NYC
> two degrees from prestigious university (as if that f*ing matters)
>>
>>272215
this is what i am thinking as well

>>272222
in europe degree maters...
since by law you have to be paid more, and companies usually ask for degree in related fields.

but hourly rate in US is way higher then in europe.
so if i google price for developed europe i mainly get weird manuals on how to charge... i get extremely confused.

i am thinking about 20e p/h to charge
>>
http://thenuschool.com/how-much/#/start
>>
>>272246
>that link
>cancer
it actually makes me believe in india superpower by 2020 meme.
>>
File: 1442540808444.jpg (39 KB, 480x417) Image search: [Google]
1442540808444.jpg
39 KB, 480x417
>>272196
I wonder about this too

I charged $10 per hour for a design I worked 10 hours on but the client said it was too much

I'm a nobody but I also don't want to undervalue and makes things worse for designers in general
>>
>>272196
Depends on the client, the country and your experience. In France a starting freelancer will charge between 25 and 35€/hour
>>
It constantly amazes me how Designers can be some of the best and worst salesmen in the fucking world.

>>272420

Often, people go about pricing their art the wrong way. You don't just tell the client "Yeah, its done. Uhh, 100$." They'll tell you to go fuck yourself and that their kid could do it on that wordpress thing for like 10$.

What you should be doing, is giving upfront and ACCURATE quotes about your cost. Telling the customer how much time you spent on it and keeping an accurate log sheet of the hours you spent on it and the rate per hour you were charging. ETC. You need to be as transparent as possible because you're charging the client for something that's by definition subjective, and if you're way over budget. Don't sell yourself short unless it was because you were inept. Contact your client and let them know they have options in this scenario such as a discount on this design or the next one. That you can finish it quickly and charge them a little more. If they fight you on it. Unless it's gonna take an extra 10 hours, just fucking do it. Spin a story like your the good guy and that you "Normally never do this for a client but that you liked them."

Maintaining these sales techniques is vital to keeping a client happy and
>>
Do yourself a favor, save yourself a FUCKTON of headaches and watch this:
Mike Monteiro: Fuck You, Pay Me
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVkLVRt6c1U

Sure, doing what you love is important, but getting paid is what actually makes you a professional.
>>
>>272196
I'm a full time freelance web dev

first you pick a day rate, if you're just starting out, let's say 150 quid because you don't have any experience

they ask you how much it's going to cost to do X

you say it's going to take 3 days totaling £450, this includes 1 round of amends say

they tell you it's not in their budget because they're tight cunts

you tell them to reduce the cost you can reduce features / produce less concepts / versions etc etc, never blindly give discounts without reducing the scope of work in some way (unless it's for your mum or a charity)

agree on what is being produced at what cost

do the work

if they want to drive down the cost and you don't need the money then walk away, I've had quotes accepted after telling them they should find someone else
>>
File: chocolate05.jpg (46 KB, 450x400) Image search: [Google]
chocolate05.jpg
46 KB, 450x400
>clients are evil and want to ruin your dopeness
always, always overcharge
>>
•friend comes to me
•proposes his plans on out-of-the-blue opening a small store
•says "you're my friend, and i know from the work you have hanging on your walls (yes i know you did it, because why would you put up anyone else's work, eh? eh?) that you can do a big favor for me."
•i say "i really don't know what you're talking..."
•he says "make me a store logo. for free, because we're friends."
•i don't know this guy, at all.
•my cover is blown, i'm no longer a friend, i'm now some...sigh..."DESIGNER?"
•i turn the tables and now i've become the asshole.
•hikes any price up, regardless of rates.
•i make a smartass comment and tell him that normally i'd charge $1200 for this, but i'll discount you to $800.
•the work i put into it was worth about 8¢
•guy grumbles and pays me.

stupid asks me if i know a place that will do the sign for free, and free business cards. i whip out a fan of all sorts of cardstock and texture...

and then i said: "it's gonna cost..." and he knew that any other money in his pocket was about to go to me.

never, ever do things for free, even to friends or friends of friends. they'll try to rip ya off, get freebies, and you'll be the one to pay for every single mishap that your friends decide later they need changed.
>>
>>272621
>never, ever do things for free, even to friends or friends of friends.
But how do i tell 'em that it won't be free without being an asshole?
>>
>>272662
Sometimes you can't not be the asshole. You need to stand up for yourself, and if that independence ruins the friendship, then it's questionable if they're your friend in the first place.
>>
>>272662
Without being an asshole? Tell them they are assholes if they want something for free. It is your job and you do it to earn your living. Why should you waste hours doing something for free except it is a good friend of yours?

>>272439
In Germany it should not be under 25€ per hour as well. You have to pay your taxes, insurance, etc. when you are a freelancer.

In general you can say how much you charge per hour and that in the end it probably won't be cheaper than xxx€. So they can imagine it a bit better.
>>
>>272420
your clients a shitty faggoat
>>
>>272420
Might as well have not even done it then.
>>
Depending on the complexity of the project, charge what you believe is appropriate; e.g. £20 h.e. (per hour worked.) Don't be afraid to charge what you consider appropriate, the confidence in asking for more than you truly believe your work is worth can be built over time. Always, ALWAYS discuss payments prior to working on something, that way both you and the client are at peace of mind - if the client pulls the "this isn't worth x amount of money, I can do it myself" card, run for the hills.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.