[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
how2font
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /gd/ - Graphic Design

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
I have to make font for one of my classes, I've done my research and all but i just have no idea where to get started or what to make. there's already a shit load of fonts and making one that's good and new is pretty hard. help?
pic related it's my useless professor
>>
>>268987
start by making one letter
stop when you've made all letters
>>
>>268988
don't stop when you made all letters. Start numbers, and when you finish do symbols. Only then your work is done
>>
>>268987
>>268987
download fontforge and look for the free ebook Design With FontForge
>>
File: FontForge Tutorial.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
FontForge Tutorial.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>268996
also this
>>
I'm by no means an expert but I think in general you want to start with letters that share a lot of common characteristics. Stuff like O, G, B, etc. - the curves you use on those will help inform how the rest of your letters will look.
>>
>>268987
Depends on the project but we generally begin with basic letters that will define key elements, like an ‘h’ for example. Most of the times “hamburgerfontsiv” will define most of the shapes you need for a complete font, so you can start there. Begin with sketches, then clean draws that you scan and finally switch to computer. If you’re on mac you can get trial versions of Robofont or Glyphs.

As to the typeface concept itself, honestly there is so much thing you can do, you just have to pick something according to your interest. It can be inspired by historical sources of letterforms, or by something totally exterior to it.
>>
>>269079
http://www.pangramme.org/Pangramme-Catalogue.pdf
>>
find some old ass books. Look for quirks in fonts.

And then make a font based off that. its revival. done.
>>
Thanks for the advice everyone. I'm finally starting to do some work.
>>
>>268987
do suetterlin

there is lack of good suetterling fonts. Bonus points for proper handling of long s and shit
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.