[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Books and School
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /gd/ - Graphic Design

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1
Which books did you personally read when studying before you felt you knew enough to do the job?
I ordered Meggs' History yesterday as the wiki said but I want to know what are the more essential books on the list or otherwise.

Also I know this gets asked here often enough but is it worth going to school if you study on your own?
>>
>>268604
Meggs' History is a great book.
Gardner's Art Through The Ages is also a great one to have. I think there's a few different versions... the one I have is about 4in thick. A very long read but it covers EVERYTHING.
>>
>>268605
Jesus that's huge. Thanks for the suggestion, man.
>>
>>268605
I have one for Art History at Uni, but it's Western Centric, and I think it ignores the rest of the world too much. Is the non "Western Perspective" book really good?
>>
Bringhurst's Elements of Typographic Style
Brockman's Grid Systems

These two are the gospel, as far as I'm concerned. Logo Design Love gets tossed around a lot here, but I found it lacking. It only covers logo design, and not particularly deeply at that.

How to a Graphic Designer Without Losing your Soul is solid. Provides a ton of insight into the industry.
>>
>>268605
Three versions of Gardner's Art Through the Ages:
1. A Concise Global History
2. The 11th Edition
3. The Western Perspective

Other books I reference a lot:
HW Janson's History of Art
4th Edition

Meggs' History of Graphic Design
4th Edition

The Elements of Typographic Style, Version 4

Swiss Graphic Design: The Origins and Growth of an International Style

The Vignelli Canon

Grid Systems in Graphic Design: A Visual Communication Manual for Graphic Designers, Typographers and Three Dimensional Designers

Type: A Visual History of Typefaces and Graphic Styles, Vol. 1

Palette Series (Viction Workshop)

Just My Type: A Book About Fonts

Never stop reading. Avoid digital versions. You need a hard copy. Write in the margins, fold the page corners, attach sticky notes everywhere.

Do you need to attend an elite university or private art college? No, but school in general is extremely beneficial. Your classmates will teach you just as much, if not more, then your professors.
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.