[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
video cutting and editing (free)
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /gd/ - Graphic Design

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 8
File: 1214_f506_500.gif (3 MB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
1214_f506_500.gif
3 MB, 500x281
can you suggest a good free video-editing software
(thats not too full of itself like Vegas or Adobe)
for Windows
that can handle MP4?
>>
>>263166
Hard to come by. Kdenlive on a virtual box does the trick if you don't mind messing with all that.
>>
>>263167
avidemux will do very (very) basic linear editing, but it seriously is just terrible.
>>
>>263168
why is it terrible?

its small,
doesn't chug the GPU
and can open nearly every format I tried.
>>
>>263172
If you desperately need to cut something together really fast, it'll do what you need it to do, but the workflow is nothing like a nonlinear editor and it has no higher functions other than some cheap effects.
>>
>>263173
>>263172
I use it all the time just to plaster an already edited scene to another already edited scene when the hard part is done. As long as you don't expect anything else out of it and don't choke it with clips in awkward spots on the timeline or mixing formats it's honestly fine for that. I

t's just a hammer, not a cnc machine.
>>
File: 9931_6c89.jpg (105 KB, 500x678) Image search: [Google]
9931_6c89.jpg
105 KB, 500x678
>>263166
I am seriously waiting for a program thats super easy to use.

something like
>point mouse on segment you want to cut, mark it and cut
>cut part is automatically moved to a sidebar
>you can use cut parts by simple drag & drop onto timeline
>GPU doesn't burst into flames

everything else I tried
from Sony Vegas to Ulead or Adobe is just unnecessary stuffed with too much crap.
>>
Blender's video editor isn't bad.

If all you need to do is cut videos and stuff.
Works well for overlaying and the like too and it's not stupidly complicated.

If you know Blender, its easy as shit to pick up.
If you don't know blender, it's still probably easier than Vegas or AE
>>
>>263183
Didn't even wanna bring up Blender. If you don't know Blender, figuring out how to get to the video editor is enough of a nightmare. It is a pretty nice editor once you get the hang of Blender's quirks in general though.
>>
File: blender2.png (40 KB, 558x363) Image search: [Google]
blender2.png
40 KB, 558x363
>>263186
>clicking on video sequence editor
>difficult

LOL!
>>
>>263190
Wow it's like that now? Switching to Blender.
>>
>>263181

Use iMovie, that's exactly it
>>
I usually use either blender or kdenlive (most of the time). I'm not a pro-level user, but I sometimes put relatively complex videos together with multiple audio-tracks, 5-6 camera angles to switch between, timelapses et cetera, and I've found both kdenlive and blender to be capable of doing the job without any real issues.

Blender takes some getting used to if you've never used it before, but there are tons of video tutorials available on youtube.
>>
File: 0000bbe9.png (79 KB, 632x336) Image search: [Google]
0000bbe9.png
79 KB, 632x336
>>263192
sorry,
I am not a mac-fag.

>>263183
>>263190
Blender has a horribly bad resoluted Interface.
You often can't read the text because it's designed like garbage.
>>
>>263194
I honestly do think the best bang for zero bucks is kdenlive. If there was a Win port it'd be the only thing I'd recommend to OP. Still it's not that hard to set up a virtual linux box and run it without any serious complications. It's been my main go-to for years.

Only trouble I've ever had with it is firewire shuttle control on a digital 8 camcorder, which nobody still has in current year, I hope.
>>
File: 1454371135143.gif (2 MB, 420x280) Image search: [Google]
1454371135143.gif
2 MB, 420x280
when you add a music track
but the track is not long enough to fit your video
what is your solution then?
>>
>>263206
Get a longer music track or make the video shorter. Time stretch/compress one if you have to, but it's risky and could look or sound terrible. These things really should be tailored to one another.
>>
File: BRTky.jpg (40 KB, 680x511) Image search: [Google]
BRTky.jpg
40 KB, 680x511
>>263201
>I am not a mac-fag
>>
>>263181
>everything else I tried from Sony Vegas to Ulead or Adobe is just unnecessary stuffed with too much crap.

Maybe because you're an amateur unable to understand the opportunities they offer ?
>>
File: mullet jesus.jpg (678 KB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
mullet jesus.jpg
678 KB, 2448x3264
>>263166
microsoft movie maker?
it sucks but it seems that you want a sucky program
>>263215
this
>>
File: 0928_223a_960.jpg (164 KB, 960x627) Image search: [Google]
0928_223a_960.jpg
164 KB, 960x627
>>263215
just cut your elitist Bullshit.

SV Corel and Adobe aren't even that good.

They struggle with the most common Video-Formats
and are ressource-hungry like shit.

So, the question is meant for something streamlined for simple tasks!
>>
>>263201
Me neither. I use linux.

Blenders interface is scalable, you can configure, style and resize it in any way you want. Check out the user preferences and set the UI scaling factor.
>>
Editor here. I cut on Avid and honestly I have no idea how I would live without dynamic trimming. Just get a copy of it and learn to use it.

You can get a free trial on Lynda and watch some tutorials and you'll be editing within a week and proficient within a month (depending of course on how much you practice).

Once you learn the ins and outs of a NLE you'll never be able to go back to a linear editor. But the trade off is the learning curve. Bite the bullet.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.