[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Designing my first typeface It's a humanist sans with low
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /gd/ - Graphic Design

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
Designing my first typeface
It's a humanist sans with low expansion contrast meant to be used for signalisation so legibility and distinguishability of the letters were my main concerns. It also isnt supposed to be as dull as DIN or SNV typefaces.
What do you think?
>>
Looks really nice.

Also, do you have support for the extended latin characters?

When making a typography I also add support for

à á and ä ã and other stuff

that at least gives you support for all the romance languages (French, Italian, Spanish...) and some weird ones such as German, Norwegian... and will make you font more popular with minimal changes
>>
I'd buy it. But like >>261932 said, add the weird letters. And there seems to be some weirdness going on with the weighting/lines/thickness of the B and N, please... My ocd... Other than that, steady going!
>>
I like it.

>>261932

This. Requesting Latvian language characters ē ŗ ū ī ō ā š ķ ļ ž č ņ and other Baltic language's characters.

Basically, Unicode Latin Extended A.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latin_Extended-A

I have a principle of not collecting and using fonts that don't have this character set.
>>
>>261916

>>261916
>Designing my first typeface

Nice one

>It's a humanist sans with low expansion contrast meant to be used for signalisation so legibility and distinguishability of the letters were my main concerns.

Well, I quite don't get why such a low contrast choice and so many print traps when you're planning to use your typeface for signalization (i.e. it will usually be quite big, so why bother why the print traps ?) but it adds character.

To be fair : it looks good overall, can you post a new picture with all the glyphs so far ?

Now in general : when I look at your font, I have a feeling that you drew inspiration on many sans, and sometimes it tends to get a bit all over the place. For instance : the lowercase "a" is quite "informal", the lowercase "g" (albeit exquisite) as well ; whereas the lowercase "i" is as formal as a DIN. Your uppercase characters are very squarish too, where most of the lowercase glyphs have nice smooth curves.

Kindly balance that uppercase B. Redesign that uppercase N, it takes too much space like this. The lowercase "s" is a tad disproportionate. The contrast of the uppercase "R" should be balanced.

That being said, overall it's a very nice shot !

>It also isnt supposed to be as dull as DIN or SNV typefaces.

It's certainly not :D
>>
Change the 'e' so that it doesn't angle to the right. Modify the kerning in adhesion's 'ad' a bit. Add more of those little notches/cuts to letters, the 'g' has so much going on but you haven't done anything with it.
I like it though
>>
>>261916
I see your background is from gener8ion
+++
>>
>>261916

I like it, which software is this by the way ?
>>
>>262574
Glyphs
>>
there's a few cases of the line width suddenly changing, which I don't particularly care for (lowercase d, m, r, n, h, t)

if that's a stylistic choice, go ham, but my eye gravitated right towards those little imperfections
>>
bretty good
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.