[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Time for the thesis paper for my Bachelors and it's about
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /gd/ - Graphic Design

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 11
File: CalebHeisey_01.png (1 MB, 650x433) Image search: [Google]
CalebHeisey_01.png
1 MB, 650x433
Time for the thesis paper for my Bachelors and it's about Scandinavian Graphic Design (Yeah, suck it over-popularized Bauhaus, De Stijl, Swiss and American style). So help me out with my survey bros.

Which country are you from?

How many years of experience (studies, work, general interest etc.) in graphic design do you have?

How would you describe Scandinavian graphic design and how is this demonstrated in the style?

What comes to your mind when speaking of Scandinavian graphic design in regards to:
a) Colors?

b) Fonts?

c) Layout?

d) Motifs?

e) Use of photos vs. illustrations?

How does the Scandinavian graphic design style differentiate from the style you can see in your country?

How much impact do you believe Scandinavian graphic design has had on graphic design?
>>
File: KËRNING.png (14 KB, 650x650) Image search: [Google]
KËRNING.png
14 KB, 650x650
Quite interesting, I'll bite.

>a) Colors?
faded but contrasty colors next to light browns or grey, mostly on a white background. Basic shapes with no outline or gradient.
Basically : flat design

>b) Fonts?
New and innovative, evolution from the standard romand characters. More personnality and a lot of variation with their accented characters.

>c) Layout?
Simple

>d) Motifs?
Diamonds, square, triangles.

>e) Use of photos vs. illustrations?
A hella lot of illustrations.

>How does the Scandinavian graphic design style differentiate from the style you can see in your country?
Feels more pretentions /or sophisticated. It fit a modern product/brand and appeal to a young audience.

>How much impact do you believe Scandinavian graphic design has had on graphic design?
A comeback of the post-modernism.
>>
Scandinavian design is a pretty lame subject, people write a lot about Bauhaus because there is a lot to write about

incredibly this is one of the least cancerous request thread on this board, so ill answer I guess

>France

>4

>a)regular colors ? They like bright primaries.
>b)geometrique sans-serifs
>c)simple ? idk
>d)minimal minimal minimal
>e)illustration all the time, pretty nice ones too (often very flat)

Scandinavian design is a lot more minimalist and savy. the common man there has a lot more design education than in the rest of the world, and so the norm for commercial design is a lot higher.

Not that much impact history-wise I think. They have great design agencies, but I know very few of them who do work on an international scale.
>>
>>260000
fuck me if Im wrong but Ive never seen scandi type as "new" or "innovative". Any stuff you'd like to share ? (Im the guy who answered right after you)
>>
File: cargo_alessandro_2_905.jpg (39 KB, 905x385) Image search: [Google]
cargo_alessandro_2_905.jpg
39 KB, 905x385
>>260003
Hasard, un français.
>>
File: f2b14f34475895.56d224c654c72.jpg (566 KB, 1200x797) Image search: [Google]
f2b14f34475895.56d224c654c72.jpg
566 KB, 1200x797
>>260000
I understand if you do not want to answer but, at least tell me which country you are from. Because part of my research is to see if Scandinavian graphic design has different meaning in different parts of the world. You can only tell me the continent honestly.

And of course; thank you for responding!

>>260001
B-but it's not lame for the Scandinavians..! And fuck, I got three friends who are working in Paris. The thing is that all the good Scandinavian graphic designers get the fuck out of Scandinavia in order to be able to work with bigger clients. Not much happening in the north after all, but I do feel like a lot of Scandinavians are responsible for some pretty good designs in New York and European capitals. And Sweden snatch up prizes at Cannes Lions every now and then, not as much as USA, Brazil or Japan but still. Norway did fantastically well at the European Design Awards last year as well.

And thank you for responding as well, your contribution is highly appreciated!
>>
File: SofieBeier-Karlo-2015n.png (205 KB, 985x726) Image search: [Google]
SofieBeier-Karlo-2015n.png
205 KB, 985x726
>>260003
Don't know about new or inventive but I do know that Playfair Display is neat little typeface from Scandinavia. Also the work of Göran Söderström, who made custom typefaces for international brand such as Cadillac and MTG, but his retail typefaces are used by Red Bull, Tictail etc. Sofie Beier also got some interesting fonts.
>>
>>260022
I am in France, too. May I add that Ikea is a well established store brand here.
>>
File: stork2.png (493 KB, 3508x3504) Image search: [Google]
stork2.png
493 KB, 3508x3504
>>259990

From
>Denmark
Experiance
>1 general interest, 2 semester studies, little ad hoc work
Description
>simplistic thus elegant
Colour (lel we pretentious)
>marine blue (doing a logo in #1E3166 as I write this
Fonts
>san-serif
Layout
>blown up full page text (citation/qoutes)
Motifs
>motifs pertainng to nature
Photography
>black and white photography
>>
>>260026
How do you like them meatballs and lingonberries?
>>
File: fbf9b125986337.5634dd97bb851.jpg (336 KB, 1200x822) Image search: [Google]
fbf9b125986337.5634dd97bb851.jpg
336 KB, 1200x822
>>260027
Thank you kind sir for your response.
>>
File: StorkPanflet.png (5 MB, 2185x2185) Image search: [Google]
StorkPanflet.png
5 MB, 2185x2185
>>260031
I will ride my nationality for all it's worth in my career, just keeping the wave rolling ^^
>>
>>259990
Went to Stockholm Design week in february, I don't know much but I'll share my impression.
>Which country are you from?
Spain

>How many years of experience (studies, work, general interest etc.) in graphic design do you have?

Since September 2015

>How would you describe Scandinavian graphic design and how is this demonstrated in the style?
Simple, clean, modern, natural

>What comes to your mind when speaking of Scandinavian graphic design in regards to:
>a) Colors?
Cardboard browns, light wood, very dark grey and white.
>b) Fonts?
Sans serif everywhere
>c) Layout?
They like flag style
>d) Motifs?
Flat geometric shapes
>e) Use of photos vs. illustrations?

From what I've seen they don't use photos or illustrations very often, sometimes simple symbols.

>How does the Scandinavian graphic design style differentiate from the style you can see in your country?

My country's graphic design is worse generally, and there is a trend of using a contrast of classical-minimalist.

>How much impact do you believe Scandinavian graphic design has had on graphic design?

Not much?
>>
>>260041
Denmark is awesome, bro
love your climate
>>
File: IMG_0031.jpg (225 KB, 943x855) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0031.jpg
225 KB, 943x855
>>260230
Thank you for your response! Though slightly wondering what flag style is to you.. Very grid-based?
>>
>>259990
>>
File: 23066613877989.562798c3b81c7.jpg (273 KB, 600x900) Image search: [Google]
23066613877989.562798c3b81c7.jpg
273 KB, 600x900
Bumping because desperate for some Murrica bros to answer, and posting more Scandinavian work for the lovers.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.