[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Full-Size Art from Desktop Background?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /gd/ - Graphic Design

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4
File: iguazu falls lighter.jpg (501 KB, 1712x1080) Image search: [Google]
iguazu falls lighter.jpg
501 KB, 1712x1080
Hi there /g/raphic designers. Pic related is my desktop, and I'm interested to see if I turn it into a larger-size print for my wall.
As you can see, the pic itself would fit fully on a 14- or 15" computer screen (I have a 13" laptop so it's a bit big for my desktop). Ideally, I would like to scale it up to 3x the length and width for hanging on a wall.

>Is this possible?
>Is this a good idea?
>If yes for both, who would I go to to make it happen?
>>
>>258960
I should add that this is the highest-res version of this pic out there that I can find through tineye and the other reverse image searchers
>>
Meh, you could do it but I doubt it'll look good. It's about 1700x1000 right now, three times is going to give you A3 size, it's not going to look nice blown up to that size.

If you find a higher res picture, I usually print stuff like that at a copyshop, If theres a university where you live there should also be one of those.

Choose thicker paper.
>>
>>259009
how would it look on a canvas print?
>>
>>259012
I dont really know the maths but if you triple the side length of the image you have at most a third of the dpi.

Your pic is probably 300 right now, that leaves you with 100dpi for the print. Ive looked around and apparently people have gotten acceptable results with that number but idk.

Why dont you resize it and then try to make your own thing out of it?
>>
>>259027
Printing at 100dpi gives pretty decent results.
But you are assuming OP's pic is at 300dpi, I'm betting it's a 72dpi thingy.
>>
File: dpi.png (1 KB, 70x75) Image search: [Google]
dpi.png
1 KB, 70x75
>>259029
Yeah you're right. Forget what I said OP, this thing is potato at that size.
>>
>>259027
>>259052
so pretty much the best that I can do with it is a print at actual size? Like I said, the space I was hoping to put it is pretty big, but I can definitely find another place for it if I have to stay at the original size.
>>
>>259066
Wow you're really dedicated to this particular picture. Medium to large photo paper would look decent, think between A5 and A4.
Canvas would look ridiculous at that size.
>>
>>259068
there's something about this one that really blows me away. It's a real shame that there's no higher-res version.

I'm American so the paper sizes are different, but A4 is almost identical to our regular printer paper, which is close to 4:3 aspect ratio at full size. I'd like to preserve the widescreen aspect ratio of the image itself, so maybe legal size (8.5" x 14") would work.
>>
>>259052
>this thing is potato at that size
lel, that sucks. how much can it be upscaled before it starts to look that way? or does it depend on the DPI?
>>
>>259135
It will look smaller than on screen.
Your picture is at 72dpi which stands for 72 dots per inch. This is the standard for monitors. You want to print stuff at 300dpi so that it looks good. You can maybe get away with printing it a 100dpi without looking to crappy.
Sorry anon, find a bigger image.
>>
File: Untitled-2.jpg (6 MB, 3912x2608) Image search: [Google]
Untitled-2.jpg
6 MB, 3912x2608
I tried enlarging it to see if I could. This is just the corner of a compressed jpg, but from a distance I think the tif looks alright
>>
So I found a very similar image to the original. Pic related, that's 1/4 size, 300dpi. Full size is 10454 x 3607 @300 dpi. What do you guys think?
>>
>>259456
3607px is about 12" @300dpi and 10454px is about 34.8"
if you want to print that, it'll fit nicely onto two horizontal sheets of A4 paper, but I wouldn't go bigger than that.
>>
>>259502
>A4 paper
whoops I meant A3
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.