[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I am taking 12 months off to self-study graphic design and coding
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /gd/ - Graphic Design

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1
File: 011.jpg (40 KB, 460x276) Image search: [Google]
011.jpg
40 KB, 460x276
I am taking 12 months off to self-study graphic design and coding full time.

I have a basic grounding in Adobe, know my way around PS and Illustrator pretty well. I'm looking to advance my all round GD skills and get a decent understanding of front-end dev.

I have all this time on my hands. I'm starting with Lynda, Udemy, One Month etc courses and taking it from there. What would you suggest are key areas for me to focus on and also the best kinds of self-directed projects to work on for my portfolio? There are so many possible applications for design and web-dev these days that I'm struggling to know where to focus on
>>
>>258667
Go back to school OP; your being dumb.
>>
>>258695

Pretty hard when you're broke. Whatever
>>
That stuff is only going to help you learn how to use stuff to make stuff. Graphic design principles and a lot of other stuff is completely agnostic of the software.

I've learned some graphic design from talking with designer friends, asking them about how things are put together and whatnot. Some more from design blogs and websites. But if you're going to be serious about this, please save up some money for some proper education.
>>
>>258929
>That stuff is only going to help you learn how to use stuff to make stuff. Graphic design principles and a lot of other stuff is completely agnostic of the software.

Absolutely, but if/when he does end up going to school it'll be a lot easier to focus on the process and theory when he's not struggling with software.

I'm in the third-year of a design program right now and you would not believe how many people know absolutely nothing about the software, having trouble with the simplest shit and wasting hours doing something manually when the proper way would've taken 10 minutes.
>>
>>258929

OP here

I have a fairly decent understanding of design principles and design/art hisory. Studied art when I was younger. I find it helps somewhat but I understand your point.

Paid education is neither affordable or possible for me. This is my only choice
>>
Get the books here. Many of them are available scanned on the internet. If you have trouble finding any, post here.
http://graphicdesign.wikia.com

As for web coding visit the webdev general on /g/.
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.