[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
are any of you employed? what's your position?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /gd/ - Graphic Design

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 3
File: interview400.jpg (49 KB, 400x266) Image search: [Google]
interview400.jpg
49 KB, 400x266
are any of you employed?
what's your position?
>>
well you see i'm a designer
>>
An advertising agency which specializes in annual reports.
>>
I'm a freelancer with social anxiety, so I have an agent. Agent gets percent of all the work.

Way better than getting $15 an hour like I used to.
>>
>>258082
What do you get now, faggotron?
>>
>>258093
Not anon, but I make ~$40 an hour for a freelance project.
>>
Advertising Agency, all kinds of work like animation, print stuff, web dev, video editing.
Also do some freelance stuff on the side.
>>
I work in storage... Looks like I dont have enough experiences/my work is crappy to work as a full-time designer
>>
>>258103
How did you end up at the advertising agency you're at? I'm >>258000 and i got in after high-school just by knowing the right guy.

I don't even have education for any of this, just experience.
>>
>>257972
Freelancer. Mostly product design. $100/hr. Double if its a rush.
>>
Student, but I have a work study job doing web design for the university, $15/hr so not bad, especially for how little work I do.
>>
>>257972

Visual Designer

I'm not one of those cheap inexperienced 'graphic' designers
>>
>>257972
Pre-flight designer/print operator.

It's not glamorous, but I'm constantly active, occasionally get to do some original work for clients, and get access to supremely inexpensive printing.
>>
>>258167
The school I went to has two mandatory internship periods on years 2 and 3, so I went to the agency and asked if I could stick around.
I got the position, and when the internship period ended my boss asked me to stay instead of going to summer break. I was there all summer.
When school started again I went away, but when the internship period was ahead I knew I had a place to go again.
So I went again, got a job and graduated on the side.
During all this time I got paid, either by the state or the agency. During overlapping times both paid me. Such is life in Finland.
>>
>>258266
Fellow Scandinavian i see. What programs do you use while working? I'm almost exclusively in indesign and illustrator
>>
Graphic designer at a sign shop, do vehicle wraps, fleet graphics, and also auto glass/tint lol
9/hr but I've only been here a month, expected to go up
>>
I do videography. I just shoot video. sometimes for like 10 hours at a time.

Kind of falling out of design because its so competitive and hard to make a client happy...
>>
5th semester atchitecture student, unemployed yes. I've been watching tutorials on Revit, Photoshop, and 3dsMax since my school still teaches us fucking autocad, and only for a semester.
Hopefully by fall I'll be proficient enough to get a job at a local architecture firm.
>>
>>258345
AI AE PS FL ID C4D
>>
inhouse designer in a studio team for a big data company. just started a few months ago so im at the bottom of the totem pole.
>>
>>258346
This, but with no auto glass stuff + some corporate stuff, a lot of re-creation and a decent amount of OC, also at 45k a year.

Freelance on the side, but I'm introverted and terrible at marketing.
>>
I would classy myself as a junior designer and I work at a small web design & marketing firm. I mostly make website mockups and logos at $13 an hour/40 hrs a week which is eh... BUT on the side I do various freelance gigs for $500 a day.
>>
File: chron.png (190 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
chron.png
190 KB, 400x400
Previously worked for Yahoo & Amazon. Now freelance here and there, do alot of work for a brewery at the mo. Keep at it bros.
>>
Mobile UI/UX designer
>>
>>257972
I work at an Advertising Agency and do stuff for social.
>>
Not related to design at all. Lurking /gd/ to start, maybe.
>>
Web Designer & Developer.

Do some entry-level backend dev and branding too for companies projects.
>>
>>258455
Wage?
>>
>>257972
Student of Visual Communications,
but I abuse the system and mainly do films and furniture design.
>>
>>258416
You got paid for that?
I feel bad for your employer.
>>
>>258121
i know this feel.

what does it take to get back into design after many years out?
>>
>>258622
A rockin portfolio and elite skill set.

Design is honestly a terrible industry to want to get in to, it's filled with talented people, it's an art based career so interest is higher than demand, it's also basically IP based and not physical, adding to the value issue.

If you want to make money, stay away from /gd/ unless you are insanely talented and self motivated. Those are mutually inclusive btw.
>>
Second year college student, majoring in media-studies. Currently working a shitty cleaning job but starting an internship in an advertising agency in June.

>>258266
Hello fellow Finn. Hoping my career will turn out as good as yours.
>>
Long time no see /gd/

2nd year student of Graphic Design in the UK. Had an internship last year which was a good experience. Taking part in a scheme between students and creative directors having meetings each week to gain some insight, which I'm looking forward to. Apparently a lot of people from the scheme went on to work or do an internship through the directors, so it's s'all good.

Currently I'm unemployed, and a waitress during the summer.

I'm worried, if I'm honest. A lot of people here (who I assume have the experience they claim to have) say that's it's an industry that's not worth getting into because of competition. I don't doubt it, then again most creative industries are, so I don't have a choice in this- atleast not one I would like to take.

What I think a lot of folks here neglect to understand or care much for is the networking aspect of the job, which is incredibly important. I was interviewing several design studios last year about what they look for in a designer, how they run their studio, the different projects they've had etc etc- and all the people they hired came from being connected to them in some way. Either through seeing them at design events and running in the same circles, approaching them face to face, or just simply being insistent on getting an interview. I chased that short internship for 2 months, contacting my old tutor who knew the director, phoning them and emailing them.

So in my limited experience, be personable- and understand that you have to have social skills to get a job in a studio. These people want to hire someone whose talented, as well as someone they can get along with. Over the next year I plan to refine my skills and software knowledge, and get more involved in the networking side of things.
>>
student.

no hope. no future.

does anyone actually have a job on this board?
>>
I drive fucking CATs in big yards 12 hours a day
>>
>>260132
Plenty of us do, from everything from CD down to customer support.

Bu yes, the reality is that most of you aspiring designers would be best served by leaving the industry now.
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.