[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/gd/, I'm depressed. I work at an architectural signage
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /gd/ - Graphic Design

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3
File: whatever.jpg (148 KB, 1418x861) Image search: [Google]
whatever.jpg
148 KB, 1418x861
/gd/, I'm depressed. I work at an architectural signage company and I'm still going to school... The company hired me to help the art department with any easy jobs. I.E, if a hospital needs a simple sign, I'll do the job. Think of it this way... The art department has 3 people, and I'm basically their 3.5, rather than 4.

As for graphic designing, I'm still a student and the experience I have with it is free lancing. I've done some social media graphics for my previous job before my old boss has to shut her store down, and I've managed a street team for a local music promotion company here and also done some free lancing promotional stuff for them...

This company I work at wants to help me grow. The project manager gave me the task of creating interior signage for a multi-million hotel that is being built. I received feedback from the client and they said that it basically looked like shit. Aka "The initial response from the ownership group on this signage package is that it is not meeting their desired intent."

I feel down in the dumps and inadequate. This is a big project for me and I want to run away from it.

Here's some thumbnail concepts I provided to the client, and their color palette is on the top left and right. Their logos are birds, a feather, and an H with fucking birds coming out of it. Also bottom left is missing a right arrow.

If I can get any feedback on how I can improve on these signs, please let me know...I have bad enough confidence, but I'm afraid that if I even react this fucking depressed to what the client just said, then I feel like gfx designing may not even be for me anymore. I hate getting my confidence hurt, disappointing people and being disappointed.
>>
>>255510
I can see some things that could help, mostly having to due with your angles. Can you post some of your reference materials so we can get an idea of what you are hoping to achieve.
>>
>>255510
>
dont care about your emo ass but that's how it is in corporate. dont take it personal, even big agencies has to redo shit. Tweak and let your manager take the battles and get the feedback
>>
>>255516
>reference materials

Top left was going to be something like pic related. My company primarily uses acrylic that gets painted. All the letters are raised and ADA complaint. For the black/grey restroom signs on the left, I was hoping to get the silver parts of that to be painted/brushed aluminum.

A friend of mine suggested that there are too many birds, which I agree with. Is it not necessary to put the hotel's logo on the signs?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
>>
>>255517
Thanks for that, seriously; if I let one negative feedback ruin any given career, I won't be good at anything.
>>
>>255518
No, not production method, reference material. What pictures of sign design did you look/base your signs on?
>>
>>255520
I researched the hotel and there isn't necessarily and interior photos yet. The only references I have to get an idea of how the hotels' interior is by the furniture photos and color palette.

Like the pic I showed, I got inspiration from that-- Is that you are referring to? Other than that, I had to google examples of interior hotel signage. It's difficult to find hotel signage for modern, contemporary, fancy, or whatever look since I have no idea how the hotel looks like inside-- am I using that as an excuse? ;/

Also, all the signs pretty much have to be ADA compliant.
>>
One quick look and I could say you need widen your leading and maybe tracking also.

Don't be afraid of white space
>>
>>255510
look at the NASA and new york metro design manuals.
youll find some help there.
>>
>>255530
>>255532
Thanks! I'm not as bummed anymore. Excited to work on it tomorrow.

Thanks again for the tips and suggestions
>>
Stick to 1-2 weights of the same font.

Create some sort of grid so you can build it quick and edits can still feel within your desired aesthetic.

Don't let shitty corporate let you down and try not to use that dumbfuck logo they have with birds coming out of it. Don't even bother with the birds. Just make something elegant and simple, they don't want a "creative spazzout" on their signage.
>>
>>255534
no problem. keep up the good work, anon.
>>
>>255521
you should find some inspiration here:
https://www.behance.net
>>
File: poz511.jpg (19 KB, 300x250) Image search: [Google]
poz511.jpg
19 KB, 300x250
This is one of my favourite sites for wayfinding inspiration: http://graphicambient.com/

There's so much variety that you're bound to find something that relates to the type of environment you're working with.

Maybe take a range of examples from here and try to understand common factors that make them work as pieces of effective wayfinding.

Functionality should be at the core of everything you do when dealing with wayfinding design. Clarity, accessibility and consistency are key.
>>
Ask the peeps you work with at the sign place for some advice. They'll respect you for looking to them for guidance.

Take a walk through the client's property. Get a feel for the aesthetic, and think about signage that would compliment it, not necessarily signage that would stand out.

I guarantee you every one of your coworkers has been right where you are. They pitch their best idea only to have the client strike it down. And this won't be the last time it happens to you.

I put in 6 years of freelance, and the agency I have founded is now in it's third year, and it still happens to me. Good ideas meet resistance, they scare mundane people. It's when they pass with no objection that you should be worried for the quality of your work.

Also, spend more time posting your work to /gd/ and getting it ripped to shreds. It's a good way to learn how to separate helpful critique from useless critique, and it will toughen you up. Because your shit sucks and you're a failure, you piece of shit.

Now go get em.
>>
>>255562
>>255578
>>255598

Awesome, thanks so much everyone! I really appreciate it and I’m so much more motivated to better my skills. I’ve been putting off setting time aside to study/research graphic design in my personal time, but I’m definitely going to do it. I’m going to dedicate my spare bedroom as a study space. /Gd/ is a great source of information, and it’s great to have the option to post your shit to get some input.

I was expecting to be shat on with this post, but y’all are so supportive it’s flattering. Can’t wait to be more active on this board. I’ll more than most likely going to start working on personal projects, along with posting them.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.