[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I want to take a movie, and use a color average from one frame
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /gd/ - Graphic Design

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 3
File: xXTvK3R - Imgur.gif (2 MB, 800x532) Image search: [Google]
xXTvK3R - Imgur.gif
2 MB, 800x532
I want to take a movie, and use a color average from one frame every minute to make a gradient. Whats the fastest way to do this?

Pic Unrelated.
>>
File: tmp_show.webm (657 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
tmp_show.webm
657 KB, 640x360
You're not explaining enough. What do you mean by gradient?

If you want to get an approximate color average of a single frame you can use ffmpeg and scale to 1x1 while experimenting with scaling algos.
I'm attaching an example, but this one was scaled to 30x1 and then scaled back. 1x1 would have a single color per every frame.

I don't understand what you want to do after that.
>>
>>246726
I'm talking about making a single gradient from a movie, using color average from one frame every minute.
>>
>>246740
This sounds like an absolute shit idea.
>>
there's no way to do this automatically, unless you program it yourself
>>
>>246740
You are not explaining how do you want it all arranged. What type of gradient are you talking about? What is the result supposed to be? An image? A video?
>>
You mean like this? https://imgur.com/a/oh3Qz
>>
>>246665
This has been done a million times. Do you need it for something practical or is it meant to be a work of art in itself? If the latter, don't bother

You will need to write a program, Processing is probably the easiest for this sort of thing.to derive an average colour the logic would be something like:

for every pixel in the frame
add red value of this pixel to a total sum of red
add green value to a total sum of green
add blue value to ... etc etc
average red = total red / number of pixels
average green = total green / number of pixels
average blue = total blue / number of pixels
average frame colour is these averages in RGB colourspace

if you want the average colour of an entire minute, you could collect the average for a frame like this and them perform the same sort of averaging across all new saved averaged colours, creating an average of those averages. changes are it will be brown with that many frames...

you could either set up a gradient in illustrator with the RGB values inserted along it that your program spit out (manually, but one a minute isn't that bad), or you could then tell the program to render all these colours next to each other as rectangles or something, with blending or interpolation of your choice inbetween them.

tl;dr learn to program but it's been done already. pic related, it's Wall-E
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.